Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sojourner
Jun 6, 2007

Get In

Rort posted:

I apologize if this has been brought up before, but there's been 2000 replies since I've last checked this thread...

Anyway, is there a way to force the taskbar (when on the side of the screen) to be 1 small icon size wide, or about half of width of what it is normally? I think it's actually a glitch, but when I open a video in a splitting program, explorer reverts to Windows 7 Basic and I get an awesome thin taskbar.

Here's some screenshots of what I'm talking about :

Normal, thick taskbar (thinnest you can get it by dragging it):

Awesome, thin taskbar (what I want):

The answer is use small icons.

Right click taskbar, check use small icons.

Also, has their been any good words about microsoft security essentials? The help desk guys here are now recommending it over AVG for student PCs now (but mostly because AVG thinks maple is a virus).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sojourner
Jun 6, 2007

Get In

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

My wife has a netbook running Windows 7 Starter. It has one gig of RAM and it's a netbook, so needless to say, it's not the speediest thing in the world.

My understanding from searching around here and elsewhere is that ReadyBoost is only useful for systems with one gig or less. Her netbook can be upgraded to two gigs, though the cheapest module I can find on Newegg is $48.

With that said:
*Would she see an increase in performance using a flash drive and ReadyBoost? If so, how big a flash drive makes the most sense?
*Am I correct in assuming that the upgrade to two gigs would give a greater performance boost than a flash drive and ReadyBoost?
*And also, I assume that if it was upgraded to two gigs, there would no longer be any point (if there ever was one) in using ReadyBoost....

Two gigs of ram will certainly minimize the performance effect that readyboost will have, though readyboost will still marginally increase performance. I wouldn't bother with the annoyance of a thumb stick sticking out of what's supposed to be an ultra portable form factor.

The best way to say I love you is definitely with an extra gig of ram.