Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

grrowl posted:

Any ideas why my computer occasionally makes a random "Device removed" sound? I'll just be hanging out and I hear the familiar dee-doo when i haven't touched anything (or even when i'm running with no peripherals at all (laptop). Would this be in a log somewhere?

You might be able to watch the Device Manager MMC to see what's being added/removed when you get the sounds.

I had a Dell D600 that would to this all the time. One of the clips that holds the motherboard in the chassis had come loose and was flexing enough whenever I moved the machine to cause the USB controller to short out and lose connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

xamphear posted:

Weird, it's been like that for me in both 7077 and 7100 on all 5 PCs I have it installed on. It's a live preview only if the application is on the screen, once it's minimized it goes to a thumbnail frozen at the instant of minimization.

This actually makes sense, and would definitely be a part of DWM. When a window's minimized, DWM is not rendering the output, so the preview would not know what is being displayed at that moment in time.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

alseyn posted:

Using your display with DVI connection by any chance? Hook up analog until the install is done and you've installed latest Nvidia driver. Then switch it back to DVI.

Don't ask :v:

I swear this has to be an nVidia problem, not a Windows thing. Even in Ubuntu. When I load the drivers in, it switches to the VGA output, whether there's something connected or not. I have to go in and switch it and force it in xorg.conf for it to stay.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

fishmech posted:

This is kinda weird but I got a new, bigger, faster hard drive to be the main drive in the computer I have Windows 7 on. The last build I had on here was 7077 but I wiped that install and did a fresh install with 7100. The problem have now is that I can't install Office 2007 at all in 7100! IT installed just fine in 7077, but when I try to install it, after entering the license key off the retail box and selecting what I want to install, it keeps throwing a dialog at me asking where to find a file, and it apparently does this for EVERY SINGLE FILE IT NEEDS TO INSTALL. I got through like 3000 file dialog boxes at one point and still hadn't made any progress. And when I finally go to cancel the install, Windows 7 pops up a dialog that says it'll adjust compatibility settings for the install program so that it will work, only it does the same thing. I even tried using Microsoft's downloadable 60 day trial of 2007, and a torrent of Home & Student (which I do own) in case my disc was messed up (which it isn't).

Anyone know what the heck is going wrong here?

Sounds like something is goofy with your optical drive to me. Double-check cables and make sure everything's seated correctly?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Karthe posted:

I'm bummed out that I have to install specific drivers from Dell to get the option to turn off the touch pad when I have a mouse attached to my laptop. You'd think by now that such an option would be integrated into Windows, but then again I'm not even sure such functionality is a part of the default mouse driver "model" (for lack of a better word).

Touchpads present themselves as standard pointing devices until you install specific drivers, so there's no way for Windows to tell if you have a touchpad or a regular mouse until that point.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I've been running 7100 on my laptop for a few days now. Every time I leave for at least 4 or more hours to go do something, when I come back, my fan is on full blast. All that's running in the background is uTorrent, Pidgin, and some browsers -- the same apps as when I left, except the fan wasn't goign crazy when I left. Any ideas?

Could be indexing or defragging. That stuff will typically run automatically in the background while the system is idle.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Mido posted:

Pretty stupid question here that I should know since I was running the old thread but never had pop into my head till now.

Will 7 64bit let you install 32bit drivers through some sort of amazing happenstance? I have some great hardware that only works in 32bit.

edit: nope it's still dumb and so am I for not skimming the OP very well before posting.

It's really not a good idea to try to run a 32-bit driver (even if it would let you) on a 64-bit OS. 32-bit software can only see memory addresses up to 4GB, and anything above that level will crash it. Since driver code runs in kernel space, and not user space, you can't use WOW64 to run the 32-bit driver, either.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

I'm pretty sure they may have a hard time trying to figure how much I've cost the company by reducing their bandwidth costs, but it bothers me that I have the warning on my record now at Charter.

The warning doesn't do anything to your account overall. My wife got one a couple of years ago from HBO (Downloading Entourage), and nothing ever came of it, and that was from actual infringement.

I kind of see where they're coming from in a twisted way: I see how they want to control the distribution channels because of liability concerns.

It's still a stupid way to do it, though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Right, that's what they're telling you. Something was broken, as just about everyone finds Win7 to be faster than Vista and XP on just about all hardware.

Don't you understand? His one special incident dictates the whole of the user experience. Win7 doesn't work on his very specific combination of hardware, so there's obviously something broken with it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

thedavid posted:

Dittoing this question... Will we be able to install an upgrade from vista 32 bit to windows 7 64 bit with these upgrades? I'd like to expand my memory on the machines I'm going to do it on, but there's no point in doing it if it stays 32 bit since they're already 'maxed out' on that side.

From a license standpoint, you should be able to. In the Vista space 32 and 64 bit licenses were interchangeable.

You won't be able to upgrade a 32-bit install to a 64-bit install. You'll have to reinstall with 64-bit.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I'm pretty sure that you only need a valid key and/or CD to do an upgrade install. I'm not up on the mechanics of it, since I only do clean wipes, myself, but that's what I believe I saw about Vista, at least.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

CitrusFrog posted:

Well, first of all, I went into services.msc and MSConfig and disabled an absolute shitload of superfluous and unnecessary services which were sucking up RAM and CPU time and now things seem to be running considerably better.

Stop doing poo poo like this.

CitrusFrog posted:

Prototype still runs like poo poo but that appears to be sound related and occurred in XP too.

You're trying to run a game that came out less than 1 month ago on hardware that was built >5 years ago? Hmm... Let's look at this for a moment.

CitrusFrog posted:

Games like Supreme Commander and even Homeworld 2 weer running like poo poo but the aforementioned steps seem to have fixed that issue. Same goes for the video stuttering. Apparently one of the myriad services that 7 crams into memory (or perhaps a combination thereof) was sucking down enough CPU time that it was chugging like hell. I've seen this problem posted about all over the 'net and yet what I just did wasn't suggested anywhere that I looked, yet it worked like a treat.

This has been addressed so many times, I'm starting to feel bad for the horse, even though it's been dead for quite some time now.

CitrusFrog posted:

Hold on then while I conjure money out of my rear end so I can buy a liquid nitrogen cooled umpteen core hypercomputer with 64 gigs of RAM and a USB blowjob device.

If you want to play modern, high-end games, you need to fork out the cash. You don't need a super high-end system, but getting to a modern CPU, GPU, and non-frankenRAM will make things run much more smoothly.

I rebuilt the guts of my system in October with a C2D E7200, 8GB DDR2 400, and a motherboard to fit (previously, dual-socket Opteron) all for about $350. You don't have to do a major spend to update at least a little bit.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Mierdaan posted:

Trying to use the onboard sound on a GA-MA770-UD3 in the RC, and it refuses to use any playback device except the digital out. I have headphones plugged into the back green jack.

I've tried the AC'97 drivers (didn't install correctly) and the latest HD Audio drivers from both Gigabyte's and Realtek's site, and it still greys out my analog outputs everywhere claiming that there's nothing plugged in. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Try disabling the one you don't want to use. I've had to do this in XP even on machines where multiple output or input devices reside on the same physical piece of hardware (mic and line-in through the same port, etc). You should be able to then enable the one you do want to use and it will activate itself as the default.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Xachariah posted:

A little bit off topic, but does anyone know if Windows Vista Ultimate Retail keys are both 32-bit/64-bit or limited to either?

I don't have the CD, but I have a valid genuine CD-key that I won in a contest. Contest was limited to the US so I had it sent to someone else who emailed me the key. My currently installed version of Windows Vista Ultimate is 32-bit, so I don't know if it's limited to that or if I can flatten and install 64-bit with the same key.

I've used the same (retail) key for both 32 and 64-bit installs. IIRC, the only difference between them is the media, and licenses go both ways.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ice Trucker posted:

Just so I get this straight,

If I have Vista 32 bit and buy the Win7 64 bit upgrade it will work but if I want to do a wipe I have to first format my drive and install Vista, then Win7 will wipe Vista and reinstall fresh with no Vista elements left over or any crap that I would need to clean up.

c/d?

An architecture upgrade needs to do a full reinstall. Your old Vista install will be archived off into a Windows.old folder, and the existing system will be completely replaced. You'll need to reinstall everything, just like a wipe install. At least, until official word comes out, that's the way it's believed to work.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Xachariah posted:

I'm kind of annoyed on the fast turnaround between windows Vista and 7, I only just got vista a year ago goddam. I can't keep dropping shitloads of cash on a new OS every year.

Considering that Vista hit GA in January of '07, and 7 is going to hit GA toward the end of October (that's just shy of 3 years of GA in case your calculator's broken), your argument is full of poo poo.

Just because you waited 1.5 years to get with the program doesn't mean they're forcing things on you at a pace you can't handle.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Looks like the timeline for RTM has been officially published.

MSDN and TechNet people: I hate you.

http://icrontic.com/news/the-official-windows-7-rtm-timeline

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

xarph posted:

If you're going to be using this thing for personal use, the best deal in Microsoft land is a Technet Plus Direct subscription. You get full disk images of all the OSs and applications they currently support; each of the retail keys can be activated ten times. The catch is that you absolutely cannot use them in a production environment or let anyone else use them. There is no time limit on the installs.

$350/year, you also get a free phone support incident and access to moderated newsgroups (forums for you young whippersnappers).

Considering an Ultimate retail release of Vista was $300, it's worth every penny.

Wow... I had no idea it was that affordable. Now I know why my friend continually renews his, heh.

Pulled the trigger on it with a 25% off coupon this morning.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

ilkhan posted:

My quad with 8GB and no swap is perfectly stable. Silly people.

Shut the gently caress up and put your e-peen away already.

ilkhan posted:

And last I heard MS counts physical cores, not logical cores, for the licensing restrictions. That may have changed of course, but thats how it was for XP if not Vista.

It will continually go back and forth for eternity. Enterprise software licensing has been based on 'processors' for decades. The problem is, the definition of 'processor' keeps changing as the hardware changes. It used to be cores, then it was sockets, then it was units, and back to cores, and sockets, and all around again. But they always call it 'processor'.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

codo27 posted:

Hmm, I assumed I had the latest, I only downloaded it from the Microsoft site just last night, I just brought up system info and it shows 6.1.7100... strange

That's the latest you can get direct from Microsoft until RTM. The 72xx and 76xx builds are leaked builds that weren't officially released.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Daktari posted:

You still get to use it without paying until March next year?
Tried asking a bit earlier but the guy thought I was asking about a clean install.

You can use an unactivated copy of Windows (Vista and forward) for up to 120 days, and possibly more, depending on how long the initial trial is set up.

You do this by installing without activating. Then, when the activation messages come to about 1 or 2 days left, you can use slmgr -rearm from the command line (as Administrator) to reset the activation counter for another period. If (at least in Vista's case) you miss the timer and end up in 'Reduced Functionality Mode', you will have no choice but to activate legitimately, or reinstall and start the process over.

Fake Edit: Beaten with some other details as well.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Thats...loving lovely. Can anyone else c/d?

What's to confirm? Vista is the same way. Anytime upgrade is for moving up the version chain. Ultimate is the top of the chain.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

:f5:ing the hell out of my TechNet downloads page today. Not much work getting done today, it seems, heh.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Lum posted:

A thread on another forum stated 6PM GMT, so that'll be 10AM - 2PM for you Americans, depending on time zone

Good to know. EDT here, so I have to wait 'till after lunch.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Pulling down now. Getting a relatively solid 200KB/sec. Wish it would go faster, though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

I don't want to deal with the unbelievably slow DL speeds of the hammered MS servers, so I'm going to probably get the :filez: version. I do have a TechNet subscription. So can I just put in my license key that I get from TechNet and use it with the RTM from "those" sites?

As long as the build types (Ultimate, Enterprise, etc) match the key you're using (and the hashes match up for safety), then you should be good. It's (technically) only piracy if you don't already have a legitimate right to obtain the DVD.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

Your ISP may still send you a NOTICE OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT email if you are caught with a Windows ISO.

I just got this one not too long ago while helping out with the free/public Windows 7 RC:

Yeah... This is still true. While you're not distributing anything that's not publicly available, you're still breaking the rules by distributing outside of the channels.

THOUGH: This is technically not Copyright infringement, so you could really inform Charter that they need to tell MS where to cram it if you were distributing something that was freely available.

TOS Violation: Sure
Copyright Infringment: Nope

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Wiggly posted:

Try this link, it was maxing out my 20Mb FIOS connection:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/subscriptions/securedownloads/dd692862.aspx

Holy poo poo. Thanks! See Below:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

c0burn posted:

Thats why you check the hash

This. It's statistically impossible to mess with the content of the ISO in such a way that you can introduce malware and end up with a matching hash. In fact, changing just one bit on the ISO will drastically change the hash result. If the hashes match, you're good to go.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Mierdaan posted:

Is there some sort of well-known stability problem with 7 64-bit and Office 2007? Both on 7100 and 7600 now, Word and Excel like to crash
  • When I open them
  • When I click on anything in the app
  • When I save a document
  • When I close the app
Office 2007 is updated to SP2, completely fresh install, no addins... can't see what I could be doing wrong here.

Been using office apps since I first loaded it up with no issue. Running Ultimate x64.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Thank you!

Another question: For a while now, on my main computer which has an 8800 GTS, whenever I play graphics intensive games (Fallout 3, Prototype), the game will get minimized (but won't actually crash) and I'll get a message saying "NVIDIA Driver #whateverversionnumber has stopped working". After a minute or so, I'll usually be able to tab back into the game (although sometimes it will just crash).

Any ideas?

It's a driver problem. I do love how Vista and 7 deal with driver crashes now. I've had my nVidia driver crash 6-10 times during a game, and it recovers without me having to get out and restart the game all over again.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

gariig posted:

According to Wikipedia you'll need Enterprise or Ultimate. I would test this at home but I have Ultimate RTM.

As far as software goes, Enterprise and Ultimate are the same version. The only difference between them is the Volume Licensing.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

ilkhan posted:

It has to size itself for the largest icons on the bar, not an average or the smallest. I still dont see why anybody would use small icons with win7.

I use small icons 'cuz it allows me to stack up more pinned items on my taskbar (left edge).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

mobn posted:

I also got an x86 copy for my laptop. It's a dell latitude d820. Does anybody know if they have all the necessary drivers and such available for windows 7, or should I just upgrade that to the copy of Vista Ultimate that I have on my desktop now?

D820 should have a T7600 or similar processor. Unless you got a stripper model with a Core Duo, rather than a C2D, there's no reason why you wouldn't want to run x64 on the laptop as well.

I'm running x64 on a D830 (and did previously on an 820 before the dock connector went belly up), and all of my hardware works out of the box. The only thing missing (and I haven't checked to see if it might be there now) is the 64-bit software for the touchpad (to enable edge scrolling, etc).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

mobn posted:

It's only a core duo. No 64-bit sadly. It's 3 years old, so I don't think c2d was even available for them yet.

Also, what sort of "permissions nightmare" am I looking out for with my NTFS drives? When I reformatted to upgrade from Vista 32 bit to Vista 64 bit I didn't have any permissions problems with my drives.

Ahh... I got my 820 later in the run, came with the T7600.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Lum posted:

Win 7 Pro RTM.

I like the new Win key shortcuts, however I have one annoyance, if you press the win key on it's own it opens the start menu and repositions the mouse pointer (to the centre of the taskbar too, which is completely loving useless) and then you have to press it again to get rid of the start menu and put your mouse back.

If that wasn't bad enough, if I use Win+left to move a window to the leftmost edge of the screen, when I release the Win key, it will open the start menu and reposition my mouse pointer.

This is really loving annoying, how can I stop it?

My mouse pointer stays exactly where it was before I hit the Winkey

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495.aspx?ITPID=sprblog

That's what you guys are talking about, right?

The rearm actually applies to any version of Vista or 7. You can install unactivated for up to 30 days by default. No key required, nothing.

You can continue this state by re-arming the activation timer on or before day 30. If you finish day 30, you go into 'reduced functionality mode' which basically only allows you to activate, and you'll have to re-install if you don't yet have your key.

You can re-arm the timer up to 3 times, giving you a total of 120 days to 'evaluate' the OS before entering a key and activating.

Since retail hits in just over a month, you should only have to re-arm once to use 7 uninterrupted.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ebenezer posted:

Anyone know if the RC version of Virtual PC is the only build that's available for use right now? I searched through the TechNet downloads, and I don't see a RTM build there.

So far, yes. XPM is a cycle behind 7, it seems. The RC version is quite good, however.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

That's what I thought..but sometimes it will disappear after reading the disc. For example, I was trying to teach my aunt how to import cd's in iTunes (she hasn't owned a computer in 4 years), so we popped in an Eric Clapton CD. The CD showed up in iTunes, but when we clicked the import button, it gave us an error message, and I found the drive had disappeared again.

Try switching the DVD drive to a different power connector, it could just be a bad plug.

It also sounds like the drive might be going out/have a bad connection somewhere.

If, when the drive is unrecognized, can you still eject/retract the tray? If so, it could also be a loose data connector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there any way to trick Win7 into installing on a system thats not ACPI compliant? I don't need any ACPI functionality for this system.

How old is the hardware you're wanting to run on?

I can't think of any reason why you'd want to do this.