Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys
I know this has probably been answered a million times, but a 50-page thread with no search capabilities makes it hard to check. I checked back the last few pages and didn't find anything.

If I'm running Vista right now without any hitches, is there any reason to want XP mode in Win7? I can't, off the top of my head, think of any non-Vista-compatible programs (well, at least ones that won't run -- plenty have little quirks like needing admin mode or something) so does that mean I'll be OK with Win7 Home Premium? Can anybody think of any prominent examples of something I, as a home user, would need XP Mode for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

toxick posted:

I accidentally deleted the "My Music" folder from the Music library, so I added it back and now have this stuck at the top:

How the hell do I hide that?
Group by -> (none)

And, god drat it, they still haven't fixed the junction search bug. As in, if you junction C:\Foo to D:\Bar, going into C:\Foo and searching a file you know exists will not bring up any results (even if you see the file sitting right there!,) but going into D:\Bar will return results. Since I have my entire user folder junctioned, this means Windows search doesn't work for me at all. Yay for Windows!

Magicmat fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 14, 2009

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

Is there any easy way to launch applications remotely, through a network? I have some apps, like Simplify Media for sharing music, that I would like to easily start up without logging in a whole remote desktop session. To be clear, I want the app to run on the 'server', but just be able to be triggered into launching by the 'client'.

Complication 1: the client end needs to run on Mac OS X. Bonus points if I can simply double-click something to run an app (like a shell script that would communicate with my desktop.)

Complication 2: I would like some way to launch these apps under my user account, but I won't necassarily be logged in before I want to launch these apps. My plan is to start the computer with wake-on-lan, then launch an app. But since my machine doesn't auto-login, I won't have my user account active when I want to launch an app. I'm OK with the solution logging me in, or even setting up auto-login, but only if I can keep the machine physically secure, i.e. I don't want somebody to mosey over to my computer after it's auto-logged-in and have full access to it

And if you're concerned about security, this will be firewalled from the outside world, and intended mainly for use when I'm on my laptop connected to my home network via VPN.

Magicmat fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 16, 2009

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

Is there an easier way to toggle my second monitor on and off? Right now I have to right click the desktop, click nVidia control panel, wait for that to load, go to the screens page, check the second screen, click "apply", wait 10 seconds for it to apply, click "accept" in the dialog that pops up, and then close the control panel.

Since I switch my second monitor between two computers by pressing one physical button, the software side is really a pain in my rear end.

Is there a way to have a simple tray app or hotkey do this automatically? Google hasn't turned up anything but AutoIT scripts.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

Guerrand posted:

Win+P
Well, sonufabitch, that Windows key is useful for something after all. That's great, thanks!