Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Erwin posted:

To be fair, the last 15 years does not indicate what Windows 7 is capable of. I upgraded Vista Business x64 to 7 Enterprise (trial) x64 and in the end I did not have to reinstall any software and everything is just as it was before the upgrade. I do not have any weird performance issues.

Having said that it took about 2 days and failed halfway through the first time with a very cryptic message that I had to Google and find out I had to set an environmental variable in Vista so that it didn't check something and it was an entire load of bullshit. Considering you should back everything up anyway, it's probably easier to just do a clean install.

Point is, upgrade installs are much better with Windows 7. They're not perfect, but your experience in the last 15 years isn't applicable here.

OTOH, backing up all your stuff and reinstalling is so much easier now than it was 15 years ago.

ryangs posted:

Wow. Chose the Pro version (since it comes with Media Center this time around!) for $29.99. Not a bad deal. Not at all.

Augh, I missed the super secret Pro option. Oh well, don't really need the extras, just would've been nice for free. :sigh:

On a related note, has anyone tried making an additional purchase through the 741 site? Might go ahead and grab another one for my laptop while it's cheap, though I haven't had any issues with 64-bit Vista there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

SiLk-2k5 posted:

If anyone wants to turn the Digital River .box crap into an ISO here you go:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/10/22/how-to-make-a-dvd-of-that-student-only-windows-7/

This looks nice, but I don't have etfsboot.com in \expandedSetup, just Win7Setup.wim

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

SiLk-2k5 posted:

Check the \boot folder.

No \boot folder either. :iiam:

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

SiLk-2k5 posted:

Home Premium?

Yep, the download from 741.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

OK, one other problem appears to be that it downloaded into D:/Documents and Settings\blah (d: is my Windows partition, don't ask)

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Just to be sure I'm not missing a step, are you guys letting the Digital River download unpack the files before doing the .iso thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Capnbigboobies posted:

I still don't get why people are going with digitalriver when you can just go with Microsoft directly.
EDIT: Are goons too scared to pick up the phone and call Microsoft?

Probably a bunch of us saw the $30 deal and figured we'd grab it before hearing about the phone option?