Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Given that Win 7 costs an insane amount here in Australia, is there any key/licence issues I would have if I bought it from the US and installed it here? Are keys region-locked in any way?
I have Vista 32, and would consider an upgrade to Win 7 64, but not for US$185

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

jeeves posted:

Anyone who has used XP for years, be wary of the Vista/7's new default photo program. It loving sucks, and doesn't even play GIFs.

The next best thing is a third party program like that one with the stupid loving Win95 cat-ran-over loving icon. I guess I should make a thread on how to customize that program to look as much like XP's awesome photo viewer as possible.

I can't speak for Win 7, but I've yet to find anything that performs as fast and smooth as ACDSee version 3, and that must be a decade old.
Everything else I've tried won't quickly go through images as I scroll the mouse wheel, or don't have such a nice thumbnail viewer.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

keyframe posted:

The latest acdsee 2009 regular edition is just as fast. I love that software.

I've been disappointed with the performance of every new release I've tried, but I'll admit I haven't given that one a go. All I want is a viewer - I don't need all the management, albums, editing etc that they bloat it with.
I would have settled for some freeware tool years ago, but they are all just abysmal.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

echinopsis posted:

even irfanview? it's awesome because it does everything I want a viewer to do, and I don't really know it's there.. plus the features that are available are really handy.
I know I've tried it and rejected it, but I don't know why off the top of my head. Maybe I'll install it again to refresh my memory.

keyframe posted:

the acdsee 2009 image viewer is just that. None of the edit\albums\etc bullshit its just a amazingly fast viewer. I have tried all the free ones and decided acdsee is well worth the money.

Give the 2009 trial a go if you are on the fence.

So that's their Photo Manager 2009? It sounds like more than a viewer, but also sounds like the least "feature rich" out of all their stuff, so could be it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

WebDog posted:

Pretty swish for stuff like the snipping tool.

I like that tool, but almost every time I want to use it in Vista it tells me it's busted and I need to reboot. I've no idea if this happens to anyone else, but hopefully Win7 makes it go away if it does.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

O'riginal posted:

I know it's been a while since you posted this ... but have you tried FastStone Image Viewer? Aside from its ugly interface that you can't really change (the "skin"), it's pretty quick and very ACDSee-like.

Would have been a worthy replacement except for the one big important issue that all viewers seem to have, except ACDSee 3: When I use the mouse wheel to step through all the images in a folder, it makes we wait as each picture finishes loading, rather than jumping to the next one immediately.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Xinlum posted:

Be a pal and give the extras out :)

Or sell one to me for something far less than the stinky Australian prices we get. Well, for us non-students anyway.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

O'riginal posted:

Yeah, I went and downloaded the 2009 ACDSee and immediately saw how much quicker it is than the few versions before it. I gave up after 2.54 or some such number, but it seems to have regained some speed. Quicker than FastStone, and no fricken skins.

So is this "ACDSee Photo Manager 2009"?

echinopsis posted:

what do you guys have against ifranview?

it can view anything picture wise, has decent batch conversion tools and best of all, it stays out of your way. and it's fast coz it's simple as gently caress

gromit posted:

Would have been a worthy replacement except for the one big important issue that all viewers seem to have, except ACDSee 3: When I use the mouse wheel to step through all the images in a folder, it makes we wait as each picture finishes loading, rather than jumping to the next one immediately.

That is, when you scroll fast with the mouse wheel it queues up images and lags before it gets to the last image.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

echinopsis posted:

I can see how that would piss you off.. I'm just glad that situation never really comes up for me :)

I deal a lot in animation frames and vast collections of images, so being able to painlessly run through images is a must.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

echinopsis posted:

do you generally think the bottleneck is the decompression or the disk access?

The reason is that the viewer doesn't drop out of the display loop before moving to the next image. ACDSee 3 does it, but I don't see it in any other viewer.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 28, 2009

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

revolther posted:

How else can you max-out Crysis 2 on your 45 minute train ride to university?

Pity your battery probably lasts only 23 minutes. Then again, any longer than that and your testicles would be baked.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Cuntpunch posted:

There's also the fact that, if I understand everything correctly, /winsxs/ gets _huge_ so that the actual application directories in /Program Files/ or wherever else don't. That space would otherwise be allocated elsewhere, and in some cases the /winsxs/ store can, in theory, actually act a single store for two separate applications that use the exact same libraries.

You can also reduce the size of the winsxs folder by a few gig by rolling the SP1 or SP2 update in, so long as you never want to roll it back (and why would you?)

I have Vista, and for SP1 you need to use vsp1cln.exe, and for SP2 you use compcln.exe. I think this is also the case for Win7, but please double-check that.

On my Vista SP2 HTPC I reduced it by about 2GB.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Wicaeed posted:

Aside from DBAN (Which to my knowledge only works when being used as a boot cd) what (preferably free) software can I use to completely and securely wipe a hard drive?

I've got a stack of drives sitting in front of me and only one computer to do this on.

Almost any tool that will do a wipe pass will suffice. Eraser is pretty popular, but remember to change the default 35-pass otherwise you'll be waiting all week.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Sizzlechest posted:

I have a friend running Windows 7 Home and wants to backup to a network drive. The Windows backup program won't allow this, so are there any free alternatives that anyone can recommend? He'd like one that can do versioning.

He tried Comodo Backup and SyncBack Pro and didn't like them.

So it doesn't let you do it even if you map a drive letter to the network share?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

mcbexx posted:

I googled and could not find any solution other than using 4 clicks across several dialog windows... is there really no way to quick-mute your microphone in Windows 7?

If no-one has a solution it might be worth a quick post in the "request a small app" thread and see if someone can write you up a little widget to do it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Away all Goats posted:

What's the best program for recording stuff that happens on my screen? FRAPs? Does that work with stuff like web browsers?

Preferably free, if possible.

edit: I should probably mention the video I want to make will be about 30+ minutes long. And sorry if this is the wrong thread for it.

CamStudio is free. Never used it though.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

NihilCredo posted:

Occasionally, while using Explorer, I'll get a Visual C++-titled popup with "this application has caused an irrecoverable error etc. etc.", then Explorer crashes (and is harmlessly restarted).

I guess that it's probably one of the many shell extension-type programs I have installed that's causing the crash. My question is, is there a way to easily figure out which library is causing the issue? Maybe some of the trillion functions of Process Explorer?

I had an issue a while back which turned out to be a right-click context menu item that would crash Explorer. I used an app that let you enable/disable all those that were installed. Anything listed as "not Microsoft" I disabled, and then I turned the rest on one at a time until the crash appeared.

It was the tool spoken about here: http://www.steveciske.com/post/Windows-Vista-Explorer-Crash-when-dragging-and-dropping.aspx

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Red_Fred posted:

I need to wipe a couple of HDDs for my girlfriend's parents. I figured the easiest way was to take them out and put them into my external enclosure that way I can use a Windows program to do a 0's run.

What free program will do this? Is a run of 0's the safest way to wipe a HDD?

We've since moved on it seems, but for anyone asking this in the future - a full format under Vista or Win7 will wipe the drive. Note this is not the same under XP or earlier, and it has to be the full format, not a quick one.
If you don't have Vista or 7, Eraser works just as well on XP.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

baka kaba posted:

Nice try, that's what they WANT you to think

I can't deny it - this is EXACTLY what I want you to think.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Phone posted:

but but but

Can I get a source to see who this Johnson monkey is?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Phone posted:

It's Wired... but they quoted the dude who said it: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/12/manning-assange-laptop/

Ah, that's cool. At no point do they say that the drive was actually in a wiped state when it was examined - it most likely had use afterwards and loads of live data. Given that Eraser defaults to a 35-pass wipe that's probably the tool that was used (pure guess!), and it runs under Windows and can't wipe the partition it is running from.

But whether that's the case or not, the interesting bit is:

"Mark Johnson, a digital forensics contractor for ManTech International who works for the Army’s Computer Crime Investigative Unit, examined an image of Manning’s personal MacBook Pro..."

An image of the disk was examined, not the disk itself. Even those nutters who believe you can recover data after an overwrite agree that you need to use some magical electron microscopy on the platters. An image is just a copy of all the disk data created using a tool like unix dd, FTK Imager, etc etc.

So no magic going on here, just a somewhat misleading article.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

GreenNight posted:

Just shuts off, no rebooting and yes with the power cable plugged in. I can't even go into the BIOS, just shuts off a few seconds after hitting F10. I can go into Windows though.

If you know what your CPU is, maybe you can research the thermal protection it has? Perhaps your fans are blocked and it's turning itself off to stop it from melting?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Toast Museum posted:

From within Windows (Vista or later), the format command will zero out the drive by default.

A full format, that is. Not the quick one.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Noni posted:

I would like to be able to see all hidden and system files without desktop.ini files all over the drat place. Is there any remedy?

Can you search your entire drive for desktop.ini and set them all as HIDDEN? I've not tried it, so I've no idea if that would work or not.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I've never felt a need for a third-party file copier.

I use SuperCopier as I seem to recall TeraCopy limiting you in some way unless you pay. Anyway, Supercopier is superior to the Win7 copy function as it has a copy list I can just drag stuff into and out of if need be. When I'm dumping various material to my NAS it's the most useful thing ever. I can queue everything up and leave it to run.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

stubblyhead posted:

They're hidden already, but by electing to be shown hidden and system files you effectively override that. The icon is transparent to show that it's a hidden file.

Ah, thanks. I guess we needed a "show system files" option, rather than one that does hidden as well.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Hatter106 posted:

Is there a consensus on the best free, lightweight image viewer for Windows? I checked out Wikipedia: Comparison of Image Viewers but don't really know where to start.

All I know is that Windows Photo Viewer for Windows 7 is absolute crap. No animated GIF support, what the hell.

I looked at a bunch, and found FastStone to be pretty darn good. I wanted something very similar in feel to the old ACDSee v3, and this was as close as I could get it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

At work (nationwide) we have a bunch of machines with the same build on them. We have a ton of tools on them that get regular updates, and often rebuild them back to the base image.
Is there a simple Windows tool that will create a diff on a new and old image file (probably a dd) so I can just send people out a patch file every now and again instead of a whole new 50GB file?

Preferably it would produce something rolled up into an exe that just says "point me to the destination image file and hit go to patch". The users know how to use computers, so it doesn't have to be too dumbed-down. However, if there are too many steps they will probably just not bother.

I've seen plenty of diff and patch tools for Windows via Google, but if someone knows something suitable it would save me some testing. Bear in mind we're talking about patching a massive file here.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Galler posted:

Seconding CutePDF Writer. It's completely free (no ads or nagging or anything) and works great.

If I select a bunch of files and right-click to print, will it ask me for filenames to print to for each file separately? A colleague wants something free that will just quietly go ahead and batch convert files to PDF, and a simple print to PDF would work so long as it kept quiet about it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Intrepid00 posted:

Check out PDF creator. It has some batching and gather functions.

http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator

He's been trying that and apparently it keeps losing the filename and he ends up with blank-named .pdf files overwriting each other.

As another solution I was thinking of finding a commandline converter for unix or something, and writing a script to iterate through a folder. Has to be able to handle Windows Office docs though.

edit: Looks like he might have found a couple of tools to cover it. Slow going converting some huge-rear end spreadsheets, but getting there.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 22, 2012

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I don't know if anyone really cares any more, but I moved the data recovery wiki that used to be at shsc.info/DataRecovery to http://data.steveshouse.org
Right now it's just a quick and dirty paste of the old data, pretty much. I plan to make something better and more up-to-date in the near future, though. And better-looking.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

csidle posted:

Is there a way to see on what date a Windows installation was installed?
I wrote a bunch of stuff, but this says it all and more:
http://blogs.sepago.de/helge/2009/09/24/how-to-determine-the-windows-installation-date-with-and-without-powershell/

I use the Registry key for my work-related stuff that needs to know.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Factor Mystic posted:

code:
systeminfo | find "Install Date"

Nice. I have to work with non-live systems and images so much I tend to ignore the simple CLI stuff.

IT Guy posted:

Are you Helge or just referencing a blog?

No, not me. I wrote a reply and did a quick Google to clarify some points and that page turned up that pretty much duplicated what I had written and more.
This is me: https://data.steveshouse.org

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Mak0rz posted:

I need a quick and dirty way to convert segments of video files (WMV or MPEG) into animated gifs. Is there a program out there that I can feed a video file and designate a timeframe(s) (e.g. 1:32 to 1:43) and it spits out a gif of the video between those times?

The quickest way I ever found was to export the frames with VirtualDub (you can set in and out points) and put in a 'decimate' filter to kill every x frames, depending on how many I might need (otherwise the GIF will be too big.) You could manually delete frames yourself after export, of course.
Then import the folder of images into Photoshop as layers and save as a GIF.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Nubcakes posted:

You want a blast from the past? Check this poo poo out!

Windows 3.1 on 5.25 inch floppies!

An seal pack of double density of 5.25 inch floppies

And to reach back even further; a 68K DIP package with some older EPROM
[timg]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/XaviarCraig/Computer%20Shit

Don't make me get out my 8" floppy disks, or my "Nibble Notcher" for double-siding 5.25" disks.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

shodanjr_gr posted:

I tried powercfg -energy and there is 3 devices not entering suspend, "Generic USB Hub", USB Input Device and "USB Root Hub". I also get that "PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled".

Any clues?

I seem to recall that there are BIOS settings on my desktop that will change whether or not my USB devices are awake when the system is powered off. Before I changed it, my mouse would still be glowing red when I switched my computer off.
I've no idea, but maybe there's something related to that in your case? When your laptop goes to sleep maybe the system is keeping them awake so it can "wake up on mouse" or something?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

Fantastic, thanks for the help!

I bought DisplayFusion pretty soon after testing the free version as well. I think it was on special, and seemed to do so quite regularly so maybe keep an eye on their webpage?
The dev also seemed to respond promptly with requests or bugfixes, so that's nice too.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

AlexDeGruven posted:

IIRC, reallocated sectors means that a problem with the actual surface of the drive is beginning, which would indicate a looming total failure with an indeterminate time interval.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I thought that if SMART reports a reallocated sector it means that your drive has already used up all the sectors it can do this to quietly and is now into the process that starts to lower the capacity of your disk. Prior to this point it would reallocate by itself and SMART would be none the wiser.
But like I said, I can't guarantee this is true.
But in my experience, once you see one sector being reallocated, you soon see a lot more.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Well, this is what GSmartControl has to say about reallocated sectors, but it's not clear to me if SMART knows about all reallocations or not. Thinking about it, though, I don't see why the drive would keep quiet about any reallocation, so I'm leaning towards SMART reporting them no matter what.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

akadajet posted:

I just got a USB 3.0 -> SATA adapter and would like to wipe (zero-fill) some old hard disks I have laying around. Is there any reputable program to accomplish this?

A full format (as opposed to a quick one) under Windows Vista/7 will zero your disk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Digital_Jesus posted:

Standard formats under windows will simply mark the entire drive as deleted but not actually zero out. The command I linked above will zero the disk. If you want multiple passes or DoD level drive wiping you'll need something like Killdisk.

Wrong. And if you want multiple passes then either you have to do it to meet some specification being forced upon you, or you are a lunatic. Well, to be fair you're probably just ignorant of the research in the field.

akadajet posted:

I didn't know that Microsoft changed it. I was still under the impression that all a full format did was check for bad sectors.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941961

"The format command behavior has changed in Windows Vista. By default in Windows Vista, the format command writes zeros to the whole disk when a full format is performed. In Windows XP and in earlier versions of the Windows operating system, the format command does not write zeros to the whole disk when a full format is performed."

I tested this and the same is true for 7 as it is for Vista.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 26, 2012