Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I read the OP but not much else of the thread, so feel free to mock me if this has already been discussed in great detail.

Next week, I've got a laptop coming that has 7 on it. I've been a "diehard" XP user, so I've skipped Vista entirely. What sorts of cool toys can I expect from my new OS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thanks, my anticipation only grows! :D

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xenomorph posted:

http://lifehacker.com/5386953/lifehackers-complete-guide-to-windows-7

Lifehacker posted their "Complete Guide to Windows 7" - and XdN Tweaker was listed!

:3:

This is a very useful guide for me. The thing I am most excited about? (so far)

quote:

Windows 7 doesn't just give you a wagging finger (and pretend-useful "Try Again" button) when you want to move or delete a file that's in use. It actually tells you which application is using the file.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xenomorph posted:

Xenomorph likes this.

I like it just for the implication that the user is a diseased whore that the computer needs protection from.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've got a driver problem with HP as well- but this is for a printer. I have a deskjet 3650 that I have hooked up to a laptop that runs XP. I can see the printer on the network, but when I attempt to connect to it, it says it can't find the driver. Okay, fine. Windows update runs and says IT can't find a driver. Any attempt to manually use the XP drivers (the most recent version by HP) just results in a generic "Could not connect to printer" message.

Here's the weird part, though. If I connect the printer to this laptop by USB, Windows update finds the driver in about 2 seconds and I can use it just fine.

Ideas?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Gasmask posted:

The drivers that you've gotten for 7 don't work after it's back on the laptop? You've probably tried this, but find out which drivers Windows Update uses and link to those when you get the option to manually load a driver. I'm not sure where they'd be (besides in system32), but it's probably stored in a temp dir after you download it.

I'm not sure where to start looking. Any idea where I could find out what the driver might be named?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Drox posted:

I'm not sure where to start looking. Any idea where I could find out what the driver might be named?

Well, I found the driver, however, when I try to use it to connect wirelessly to the printer, I get the same "Cannot connect to the printer" message.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I hate to break up copyright chat, but I'm a bit confused on a point of home networking with 7 and older computers. I have a computer running XP that has all my files that I want to keep. How do I just open up a folder on the win7 machine that the network can see so I can just dump everything in there? Homegroup doesn't seem to be what I want, since that's for 7 only... right?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

revolther posted:

From the previous page. Google for Shark007. That's what goons are suggesting.

Gonna try this myself. Does it include support for .mkv files?

edit: cool, the site says yes.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dMastri posted:

Everyday I find something new to love about Windows 7.

At first I thought the green sliver was a graphical glitch, but as it continued to grow, I realized it coincided with the progress of my Steam game download. Pretty snappy.

I discovered this while transferring files over my network. It is super cool!

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vinlaen posted:

Why does Windows 7 x64 show I only have 5.00 GB RAM usable out of 6 GB?

I'm using a Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard with the onboard video card.

The BIOS has the video card frame buffer set to 512 MB.

The manual says that setting controls how much system memory is dedicated solely for the video card controller (which makes sense).

When I only had 2 GB of RAM and was running Windows 7 x32, it said I had 1.5 GB usable out of 2 GB. Now that I have 6 GB RAM and am running Windows 7 x64 it says 5.00 GB usable out of 6 GB.

What is going on? Why am I losing a full gigabyte of RAM?

Stupid question, but have you checked to see if one of your sticks is actually dead? When I was running 32-bit XP, I didn't notice that some of my ram was bad for a while. This was because it was reporting 3GB, which I didn't think was unusual. Turns out it could address another .5GB. I got some new ram, and voila, 3.47GB.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Right click on taskbar > Properties > Taskbar tab > Taskbar buttons.

Select never combine? That's what I did. I'm not sure if that's what you want, but give it a try.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think I'm going mad.

I thought I remembered, when I first turned this computer on, that it had some kind of note thing, like I remember seeing on Vista computers. I haven't been able to find it again. Just now, I played some fullscreen game, and my IE icon changed into what appears to be three sticky notes. Now I'm sure that there is some sticky note app, but I have two problems:

How do I get sticky notes and will the icon ever change back? :ohdear:

(I know the icon will probably fix with a reboot, but how do I do those sticky notes? It's not a gadget, but I can't think of anywhere else to look.)

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yes, yes I did. I'm not used to modern operating systems. I'm an XP caveman. Ooga booga.

Thanks. :)

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does Windows 7 have any sort of error logging? Just now, I've had my second mysterious shutdown with this computer. Both times happened while I was playing TF2, so I'm thinking either something is overheating or TF2 itself is crashing so hard it shuts the computer off. (what) Regardless, is there any sort of log generated?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

m2pt5 posted:

Start menu -> search, type "compmgmt.msc". What you're looking for is under Event Viewer.

Thanks. It doesn't appear to show anything about hardware or software failure, though, just that the computer shut down unexpectedly. I wonder what's causing this. :sigh:

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thermopyle posted:

or...
Start menu -> search type .... wait for it ... "event viewer".

I... LOVE... THIS... OS! :haw:

That's really cool and I need to switch to "search the start menu" for my default problem solving instead of google/forums.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That's odd, I play both TF2 and WoW in the manner you describe- windowed but at fullscreen resolution. The taskbar doesn't appear over the applications. I'm trying to think of what settings could affect this and all I can think of is the border settings. For instance, do you have TF2 running with the -noborder parameter? WoW has a similar setting called "Maximized" under the "Windowed" option in video options. What are your taskbar settings? I can compare those to mine and see if there's something different.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Windows 7 Megathread: What do you mean my MS-DOS floppies won't work for 7?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh drat it. Is office mobile only on windows phones? I would love to have some office documents on my phone, but I have an iPhone.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

gariig posted:

Yes but there is Documents to Go for the iPhone/iTouch.

Oh, thanks!

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I love 7 on my laptop. I was getting near the end of my battery, and I went to go use the bathroom. I got back and it was dead. The next day I plug it in and start it up- what's this? It says that the computer is locked? It had hibernated or something when I got to about 10%, saving everything that I was doing at the time. Yay 7!

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It doesn't actually minimize everything, just click the item you want and they will remain in whatever order you had them :confused:

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

incoherent posted:

If your adverse to paying for good software and click on every pop up ever, then MSE is for you.

What does this mean i dont even

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think even XP might have done that, thinking on it. I seem to remember that and I never used Vista. :ohdear:

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mannequin posted:

Edit: Also, how do I ungroup "like" things. For example. In the task bar, a stupid new icon shows that represents Explorer I guess, and when I click on it, it shows me a panel of grouped folders. I have 3 folders open and it lets me choose which one to click. I hate that feature. I disabled it in XP and in Vista. I like seeing all my folders/files/programs/whatever spread out across the task bar. How can I turn this loving annoying feature off? Goddamnit will they stop making choices for me, and stop taking my preferences away from me? Jesus this is annoying.

I think what you want is right-click taskbar, Properties, Taskbar buttons: never combine.

Jeez chill out.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Eikre posted:

Why? Now that it's in the corner you can swing your cursor over there and click to minimize everything, just like how you swing your cursor to the top and click to close your window: Without any effort or finesse at all.

Pros use Win+M or Win+D :frogc00l:

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What up taskbar on the right widescreen monitor buddies! I thought that it worked pretty well in XP too, though. I realized once I got my first widescreen that I simply had more real estate available on the horizontal. It just made sense to put something that would always be there on that axis.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Mine looks fine but then I changed my theme to pink.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

raezr posted:

I recently noticed that the taskbar preview thumbnails don't completely work for windows that are minimized, they only show a cached thumbnail of it last time it was visible (or just the window icon, I guess if no cached version exists). This is irritating since sometimes I'll want to monitor a window and I have the habit of just using the preview, but it's frequently outdated. Is there a way to change this? Or will I have to just get used to clicking on the actual window from now on? I assume that disabling the cache would decrease performance slightly, but on my hardware that's not really an issue.

What's wrong with leaving the window up behind whatever currently has focus? I almost always have my browser maximized and I can see everything else on the taskbar because I don't minimize anything.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
...Don't press alt before you press tab?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

change my name posted:

You can watch it twice at the same time!! It's like retarded picture in picture

Hey, why don't I have this yet? The best I can do (I think) is aero snap what I'm working on to one side and the movie to the other.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cojawfee posted:

You just have the video open and then hover over its task bar icon. I think it only works if the video is open in the background, not if it is minimized. So you can have your browser open and then hover over the icon to see something interesting.

I know that, but I often use the rest of my screen and mouse to do work with what I'm working on. A genuine pip function would be nice. Something that could be dragged around the screen and stays on top when it loses focus.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Echophonic posted:

Or even better, you can use OnTop Replica and just have a little always on top aero preview.

Oh, wow. If this works in 7, it might be exactly what I want!

edit: It is! Thank you so much for linking this! It works beautifully!

Drox fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 3, 2010

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ontopreplica has other features like transparency that make it stand out, too.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
make a copy of all your precious mp3s and then destructively alter those

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Suniikaa posted:

Dude you should just yell for your mom to bring your chocolate milk and have a nap already.

So what you're saying is that owners of a software who license it don't have any rights concerning the use and distribution of their software, tell me more!

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Suniikaa posted:

So what you're saying is you can take any post on the internet and make it say whatever you want it to say?

Dude you should just yell for your mom to bring your chocolate milk and have a nap already.

edit: for actual content, no, licensing is distinct from ownership and I would be really incredibly surprised if looting an OEM code out of the garbage constitutes a legal transference of license.

Drox fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 10, 2010

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

You're like a guy furiously fighting for women's rights to the point even the women don't know what the gently caress the big deal is. Sure it's fine standing up for other people if the cause means a lot to them, but when they don't care and it doesn't affect you and you still make a scene over it you just look like a douche.

I really doubt Microsoft cares. Wasn't it even the officially stated that Microsoft actually tolerates piracy by consumers and even some governments because it helps seal the dominance of their OSes and Office suites?

And you're like a guy who brings up discussions from nearly a week ago. Also: two short posts doesn't constitute furious anything, please try again.

edit: don't even get me started on your seemingly callous comparison of women's rights issues to a simple matter of IP control.

Drox fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

madlobster posted:

Shouldn't women have the right to transfer OEM licences of Windows?

I never thought I would laugh at a post in SHSC about Windows licenses. Thank you. :)