Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fobin
Aug 11, 2007
I've got a question about windows7upgradeoption.com.

I'm running the RC right now, and i figured it would be cheaper to order an OEM copy of Vista and then use windows7upgradeoption. I ordered an OEM copy of Vista from Newegg that came with a free windows 7 upgrade, but I didn't realize until after i'd opened the box that i'd ordered the 32 bit version instead of 64. The offer form with the code on it says that the only option I have is Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. Does the Windows7upgradeoption upgrade come with 64 and 32 bit discs like the retail upgrades do, or am i screwed if i want 64 bit without buying another copy?

Edit: poo poo, i just realized that newegg has windows 7 home premium OEM for $99.

fobin fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 6, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fobin
Aug 11, 2007

madprocess posted:

32 bit and 64 bit use the same keys, if you do an upgrade install from 32 bit to 64 bit or vice versa it does a clean install.

But does the upgrade from Windows come with a 64 bit disc?

fobin
Aug 11, 2007
I think i just screwed up my Windows 7 installation.

I'd been running the RC since this summer and recently upgraded to Home Premium, and have been running that for a few weeks. When I installed it, I had one partition with Vista and one with the RC. I used the Vista partition to upgrade. I was tired of going through the OS selection (Windows boot loader? Something like that) every time I restarted, and since I didn't need the RC anymore, I figured I would delete it and free up some space. I couldn't format it using windows disk manager because it was marked as active, so I started an Ubuntu live cd and used Gparted to delete the drive. Now when I try to start my computer it says something about no loading device being found. When I look at the remaining partitions in Gparted the 200Gb partition with Windows 7 is still there, but I have no idea to fix the boot loader problem. Am i screwed or is there something i can do to fix this?

Edit- fixed

fobin fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 22, 2009

fobin
Aug 11, 2007
Yeah. I had tried it with the 32 bit win7 upgrade disc and the 32 bit vista disc but neither worked. I found a 64 bit win7 repair .iso that fixed it though.