Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

c0burn posted:

You can turn this off in Office

i love you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
My wife has a netbook running Win7 x64. The internal wifi adapter has long since poo poo itself, so we've been using a USB adapter from Monoprice. Since she started using one of these. It works great, except that every time the computer is shut down or put to sleep, it forgets the security settings for the network when started back up. This is consistent for entering it manually or pressing the button on the router. Any ideas what would cause this and how to fix it?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sizzlechest posted:

Are you using the software for the device to handle these settings or are you using windows zero point configuration?

Letting Windows do it all.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sizzlechest posted:

Did you classify your network as "home," "work," or "public?" (It should be home.)

Home

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm experimenting with slipstreaming updates into a Windows install image. What's the preferred method for downloading the update files? There's a program called Windows Updates Downloaded that will get them all from Microsoft, but their lists of necessary downloads haven't been updated in over a year, and doesn't have anything at all for Win7 or 2008. Is there a better tool for this now?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

fuf posted:

I have to do a whole bunch of "find and replace" stuff on some text files (actually .tex files). Is there a text editor that will let me set up a whole bunch of find and replace rules and then execute them all at once?

Learn perl.

Serious answer: Notepad++ can do find and replace in all opened files.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

fuf posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. I actually tried notepad++ but I'm going to be editing one document at a time so the fact that it can do multiple files at once isn't so useful. My dream would be for there to be a way of saving my previous find and replace operations so I can do them again quickly.

But.. you can have more than one file open at once in N++, and if you're using the same search/replace parameters, then what's stopping you from opening them all together and running the pattern once for all of them?

P.S. you should still learn perl

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I replaced the Windows Task Manager with the Sysinternals Process Explorer at one point. I was under the impression that process explorer just moved the taskman application or renamed it or something, but I can't find it now. What does it do with taskman when you replace it via process explorer? Am I going to have to get out my win7 disk to get it back?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

tk posted:

Does procexp still run? You can just go back and uncheck Options -> Replace Task Manager and you should be back to normal.

That worked. I didn't realize that was a two-way street. There's no checkbox there, just a UAC shield.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
I've been having the worst audio distortion on Win 7 64 for a while now. The problem goes away after a restart, but eventually always comes back. The source of audio can be anything from a video on the HD, music on the HD, streaming audio from Youtube, whatever. It happens when I'm using Firefox or Chrome and loading websites or scrolling.

I used to get the same thing all the time in XP. It seemed like it happened most often during high system load. I haven't really experienced it with 7, however. Does it ever go away after a couple minutes, or will it keep doing the same thing until you reboot? I'm afraid I never really found a good solution to the problem though. I think LoKout's theory of your computer trying to do things through software and your computer can't keep up with the load, causing the stuttering. I noticed you have like 20 tabs open in your browser, is that a normal pattern for you or were you trying to induce the problem?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

bonestructure posted:

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. It's apparently due to Netflix's retarded insistence on both IE and the latest Silverlight install, and utter refusal to cooperate with anything else. Sure hope Bill sends them a Christmas card or something.

Netflix has played nice with Chrome and FF for quite a while now.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Jetsetlemming posted:

In Windows 7, how do I make double clicking on a disc open it as a folder, rather than running the autoplay?

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\AutoPlay You can get pretty granular with what you want to do for various kinds of disks, but there's a checkbox at the top to disable AutoPlay entirely.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Ika posted:

Ok, I can sorta see that being useful for people who have alot of different chat accounts, but for me it makes no difference whether I memorize my login data for trillian, or ICQ. Anyways lets end this derail, any suggestions for alternative clients?

Pidgin

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Wagonburner posted:

Shouldn't it be letting me login with cached credentials? or at least telling me the pw is bad? Before I knew efs was involved and I plugged it into the network and logged in as myself, did that maybe make it realize somehow her ad account was deleted?

I wouldn't think logging in as yourself would affect cached credentials, but I think they may expire after some period of time.

I have a question too. I'm trying to set up ssh tunneling on my home computer (7 home deluxe or whatever they call it). A few guides I've read involve using cygwin and openssh. Is there no free native ssh server for windows 7 or is this the way to go?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

Google found this: http://www.freesshd.com/?ctt=overview by googling Windows SSH server. I've never used it myself, and it hasn't been updated for a while. OpenSSH and Cygwin is probably going to be the most up to date choice.

Finally got it working after a lot of fiddling around. openssh makes some default settings in /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny that were causing problems. Unfortunately it looks like my network adapter doesn't support wake on lan, but that's not surprising considering it's USB wifi.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

Sharing files is really easy, just give Guest permission to the files and the file share, and they'll be able to read whatever's in your shared folder.

If you're using Windows 7 it's ridiculously easy, just set up a homegroup. There's probably some way of getting the mac in there also.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Whoops double post

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Windows annoyance question--for a long time now, Windows will sometimes think you're holding down the ctrl or sometimes the Windows key and will try to execute shortcuts as you type. This is not sticky-keys btw, though I think the end result is the same. Usually just hitting the ctrl key a few times will sort things out. I have an hp Elitebook 8560w for work, and this happens once in a while. However, I can't seem to find any way of making it stop short of rebooting. Any suggestions on what else I could try, or better yet, how to prevent it from happening at all? It doesn't happen all that often, but it's pretty infuriating when it does.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

I've had this happen too and while I never found a fix, I found out of I hit the windows key on the keyboard a few times, it quits thinking ctrl is being held down.

Yeah, that normally works for me too--just not on this machine. There seems to be a lot of dislike for the elitebooks, but this is frankly the only thing that comes to mind that I have problems with.

Mak0rz posted:

I don't really have a Windows disc; I bought it from Digital River with a student discount and I don't think I ever had a physical disc. Can I do this without resorting to :filez: at all?

Do you have a license key? As I understand it, Microsoft doesn't really much care where you get your installation media as long as your license key is legit.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

I have a legally-purchased key, but Hell if I know where that is now... I've long since graduated from the college that hosted the email address to which it was sent, so I'll dig around for it. Otherwise it looks like I'll have to call up tech support.

In that case: How will I know that the source from which I'm getting the media is legit? I'm searching around the Microsoft website and can't find anything, so I really doubt they host images on their website.

Digital River iso links here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=369881776

Extract your license key using this: http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ It says you have to use the pay version to get a Win7 key, but the free version worked fine for me. If the computer is too far gone to run it then I guess you'd need to contact Digital River and see if they can help you out. Good luck!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

The supervisor of my lab/office has the lab computer (Vista Pro 32-bit) set up so that trying to install anything is disallowed without administrative access. How do I do this? I hope I don't need Win7 Pro :ohdear:

That's really strange. What you just described should be the default behavior in 7 as well. My laptop has professional, and my desktop is home premium--same behavior in both. I would be very surprised if home basic or starter behaved differently. Do you get the UAC prompt asking yes/no to install the program, or is it the one which prompts for other credentials? Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Action Center and click the Change UAC settings in the left sidebar. Make sure you're on one of the top two notches on the slider. The default is the second one down, and should prompt standard users to enter an administrative user's credentials before installing anything.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

Yup, this is what I get. UAC is on the top-most setting. The dialog asks to confirm if I want to allow changes to the computer with a field to enter a password. Not entering a password and hitting "No" gets rid of the dialog, but the install continues as normal.

This doesn't happen when the standard user tries to mess with Windows settings, but when it comes to installing third-party software UAC might as well not be on. :confused:

Don't really know what to tell you, that's unusual behavior. I don't think you can get any more granular on UAC settings than that slider. Some group policy stuff maybe, but nothing that would be enabled by default. Does it happen consistently? What are some of the things you're testing with? I did my experimenting with the installer for VLC Media Player, which says "This installer requires admin access, aborting!" in a dialog box when I click no on the UAC prompt.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, Thunderbird and Firefox were the applications I was testing it on. I tried again with the CCleaner installer and UAC worked fine. I should have tried something different to begin with, because I can see that this is happening:

Just tried this myself. As a standard user, if you say 'no' to the UAC prompt, you can still install, but it goes in your user profile. It would normally be installed to c:\program files(x86). Administrative users don't seem to have the option of installing to their profile, but I didn't really check it out very thoroughly.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Galler posted:

The last version of uTorrent before 3.0: http://www.oldversion.com/download-uTorrent-2.2.1.25113.html

I have 2.2.1 on my computer, but it tells me there are no updates available? :confused:

e: uTorrent and µTorrent is the same thing, right?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

All I need is something that will allow me to install programs and features from a distance. What do you recommend? Am I able to use it to switch the user to Administrator in case I have to use the account?

I think Remote Assistance will let you elevate; not 100% sure on that though.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

EDIT: Remote Assistance is no good. The recipient needs administrative access to allow me to have administrative access. It really defeats the purpose for what I want to use it for. I'll try UltraVNC out and see if that works.

I can't confirm this right at the moment, but the helpee should be able to pass that ability on to the helper when he requests control, see checkbox below:

Note that there was a conscious decision to not allow this in Windows Vista, which made Remote Assistance almost entirely useless in that version.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

Clicking that checkbox brings up a UAC dialog which the "dialing" computer cannot see (the screen blackens with a large pause symbol). I don't want to have the receiving computer to authorize.

Basically: The "helpee" requires administrative access to give the helper administrative access. This alone ruins the purpose I want to use it for.

I'll be damned, it sure does. Welp.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

It's working correctly, with that change. I guess the hosts file isn't forwarding everything? Though, I thought that's what it was suppose to do :confused:

Your hosts file doesn't forward anything, all it does is provide name resolution. It sounds like your srv record for your dc is hosed up, and no amount of manipulation of your hosts file is going to fix that.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mercedes posted:

I have no idea what I can do :(

Upgrading to Windows 7 would be a good start.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mercedes posted:

So the reason for all my troubles was my lovely internet connection. It kept on corupting the download. All fixed now.

Glad to hear it. (ps still updrade to 7)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

Huh? :aaa:

I really don't know how DNS / DC work that well, other than all I did was switch the VLAN that the client pc was on to the same VLAN of dc/sp/sql servers and once I put in the correct IP for the correct "contoso.com" in the hosts file it'd ping correctly but I still wasn't able to get the client pc to join the correct domain.

What am I missing or is this something I really just ought to study? Or do I just not understand the purpose of the hosts file either?

DNS does more than just spit out an IP address when you give it a server name. One of those things is to identify resources on the network that provide specific services--like being a domain controller.

There are a couple of things that might be happening here. The SRV record for your DC (the thing that your DNS server uses to respond to requests for a domain controller) might be hosed up. Either it's missing, so the DNS server can't respond to requests appropriately, or it has incorrect information, causing your other host to try to connect to the wrong address. In Windows Server 2003 you could run netdiag /fix from the command line to fix stuff like that, and I'm sure there's some way of doing it on 2008 as well.

Alternatively, you may not have any name resolution and adding the DC into your hosts file has masked that symptom. Run ipconfig /flushdns and see if you can resolve any other host names. If you can't, then your client's DNS settings are wrong or there's something wrong with your DNS server. Can your other servers on that vlan resolve names?

e: I think dcdiag /fix might do the DNS zone repair like netdiag /fix did, but I'm not sure. Don't have a 2008 playground to mess around in.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 30, 2011

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Noni posted:

-FTP server. Formerly used BulletProof.
-Monitor management. Formerly used Ultramon.
-Antivirus - Avira.
-Temperature monitor/alerter - Coretemp
-Firewall - Comodo
-Backup/Sync - FreeFileSync
-EBook management - Calibre
-Video player - VLC, CCCP with BSplayer
-FTP client - Filezilla
-MP3 player - foobar
-Notepad alternative: Metapad
-Browser - If I dislike Chrome, and hate Firefox 9, will Waterfox be any better?
-DVD burner - Nero, Infracorder
-File copier - Teracopy (Is this even needed in Windows 7?)
-Clipboard manager - Tried a bunch, including Ditto.

(Assuming this is all for personal use rather than business) I think MSE is the anti-virus of choice right now; I have no complaints anyway. Dropbox and Spideroak both do backup/sync stuff and have free versions with limited space. For offline backup I find the native tool in Win7 to be pretty good. I've had no problems with the firewall bundled with Windows also, it's made big steps forward since it was introduced. I like Notepad++ for a text editor. Ultraedit is ok too, but is not free. Can't speak to waterfox at all, but I will say that I did not like Chrome at first myself, but it has grown on me considerably with use.

quote:

I would like to be able to see all hidden and system files without desktop.ini files all over the drat place. Is there any remedy?

There's no way around this that I'm aware of, and it is annoying to me as well.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Also I use Dropbox for sync mostly because Spideroak didn't have an Android client when I got into sync. I'd manually encrypt anything that's sensitive and doesn't come with its own encryption either way, though.

Spideroak does have an android app now, haven't used it much though. I would definitely pre-encrypt anything sensitive you're putting on dropbox, but I don't know that the same is necessary with spideroak. It's my understanding that your data is encrypted locally, and is never on their systems in an unencrypted state.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Gromit posted:

Can you search your entire drive for desktop.ini and set them all as HIDDEN? I've not tried it, so I've no idea if that would work or not.

They're hidden already, but by electing to be shown hidden and system files you effectively override that. The icon is transparent to show that it's a hidden file.

I'm using cygwin/openSSH on my computer at home for ssh tunneling, and using putty on my work computer to connect to it. It works great, but several times today I have gotten an error from putty reading "Disconnected: Received SSH2_MSG_CHANNEL_FAILURE for nonexistent channel 256" The number at the end varies somewhat, but is always in that same general neighborhood. What is causing this, and how do I fix it?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

That's the first thing I tried, but TM freezes when the issue happens. I can later see the spike under the performance tab, but don't have a way of seeing what caused it.

Try performance monitor or maybe process monitor. The former comes with windows, and the latter is downloadable from Microsoft's website.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Dumb question time. I had to rebuild my computer over the weekend due to a HD failure, and lost a bunch of system settings as a result. One of these is that ica files for Citrix will not automatically open by default in IE--I have to select open each time. There's no checkbox on the dialog box to always perform that action, so I'm not sure how I had this set up previously. I do have the Citrix connector installed, and the file association for ICA files is configured to use it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

I'm using cygwin/openSSH on my computer at home for ssh tunneling, and using putty on my work computer to connect to it. It works great, but several times today I have gotten an error from putty reading "Disconnected: Received SSH2_MSG_CHANNEL_FAILURE for nonexistent channel 256" The number at the end varies somewhat, but is always in that same general neighborhood. What is causing this, and how do I fix it?

I've more or less confirmed that this is caused by running spotify through my socks proxy. Not sure how to fix it though.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Is there a way to tell a Windows 7 desktop to hibernate, software-wise? I know I can set the power button to do that, but I'm going to be gone for 6 weeks, and would like to be able to RDP in, then tell the computer to go back to hibernating when I'm done.

In the advanced power settings there's a time after which to hibernate, so I would set that to ten minutes or however long you want and it should hibernate automatically after that much inactivity. You could run shutdown /h from the command line also.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm working on a project at work, and we're running into problems when we try to interact with servers that are still booting. Is there some system property I can poll for that will tell me that the system is fully booted vs. starting up or shutting down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
My list of installed updates on Windows 7 is grouped by application. I know I've had it set to not group like this and sort everything by date, but I'm not seeing any obvious way to change that. How do I change this?