Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
So i need to test how well an analogue phone-line works, it's connected to a machine via some pci-modem card.

What would i need on my laptop to have something respond when i call this number using my cellphone? Just to pick up the line so i can hear if there's static / interference or not.

I feel like an idiot because i can not even google for the information i need, i can't concentrate enough because my girlfriend's keeps yapping about something meaningless.
Is it a bbs software i need? Can i dial in and have hyperterm or something answer?

Just the simplest shortest test possible.
Win7 laptop with builtin 56k modem, phoneline, something that answers the call...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Is there a way to get similar results short of doing this? We don't have the COA or the media and he's been using it as his personal computer for several months now. Would backing up everything he needs and upgrading to Windows 8 do the same thing?
It's his to keep, never going into the work network again?
(It's a bit odd that IT didn't just reinstall it with a blank image then).

(You mentioned admin password, do you know it?) If not:
I'd reset the local admin password, http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ boot on usb or cd, activate/reset local administrator account, set password to something you know

Reboot to windows, login as local administrator, remove computer from domain (win+pause/break, computer name, change settings, join a workgroup instead), reboot, set up your dad's useraccount properly so he can install poo poo without entering password (win+r, control userpasswords2, properties for your dads user and change group to administrators (yes i do this. i.. i do this everywhere..))

Or use Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder or similar software to get the serial used for the windows install, download a proper Microsoft iso from digitalriver, burn the dvd, reboot install and do things right from the start.

** edit
And for the work nas:s that are no longer accessible, win+r, net use * /del

underlig fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 29, 2012

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

The Slippery Nipple posted:

I'm new to Windows and just got my first PC a few weeks ago (Lenovo T430). Ever since I got it it has said there are updates available for downloading, and to shut down so it can update. Whenever I shut down it says it downloads the updates, but when I start it up it says that updating failed. This really annoying as it means it takes about 5-10 minutes to shut down because of the 'updates'.

Another problem that may be related is that my laptop disconnects with my wifi if it is left asleep too long, and needs to be rebooted to reconnect. I think it has something to do with it expecting to find an ethernet cable, but I don't know how to change it to expect wifi because I know nothing about Windows. All the other wifi devices in the house can connect fine so I know its not a problem with the wifi.
What says there are updates? Windows or Lenovos "System Update" ?
You can run both manually to ensure you get the updates downloaded and installed, WU you will find on the start menu and SU either on the start menu under Lenovo or Thinkvantage -somethingsomething or if you click on the lenovo tool icon in the taskbar. I think it's either a black computer-tower -icon or something red with four squares on it. (Sorry for the fuzz, i can't remember and none of my lenovos have it active anymore. When i need it i manually run the .exe from c:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\System Update\tvsu.exe)

As for the wifi i'd say its a powersave feature, you disable this by going into the device manager (right click "My computer" and "Manage", Device manager, Network adapters, right click the wifi and select properties. Power management), and/or power settings in the control panel, and/or starting Lenovo Access Connections and somewhere in the settings there disable the powersave feature. In AC it should be under wireless networks, advanced properties or something like that.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

spog posted:

If I plug one in, it knackers the other's installation, before refusing to recognise its own existance. Bugger.

and of course, it would be too simple to expect either UI to let me play with the other's SIM.
Windows refuses to acknowledge the 3g connection unless it's done through the dongles software?
No built in card? Not possible to "unlock" one of the dongles?

*** edit
I use "networx" to keep track of traffic, though on regular tp connection..

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

peak debt posted:

Unless you're planning to send your movie back in time to 2005 you really shouldn't be using VirtualDub anymore, that poo poo is outdated like crazy by now.
The go-to tool for recoding video and audio nowadays is ffmpeg. Officially it's just a command line tool but it's not that complicated. If you have severe commandlinophobia there are GUI wrappers for it. For more specialized muxing/demuxing including chapters, subtitles etc there is mkvtoolnix which is specialized for mkv output.

For video compression, absolutely use x264. As a GUI for that, Handbrake is the #1 pick nowadays.
For everything video i usually go http://www.videohelp.com/ as the first step.
A lot of outdated guides though, probably got a few for VirtualDub :D

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Grab Meatcastle posted:

So whenever I plug in a USB device and the system chimes all the audio in any other application gets cut until I restart the application. I've read the fixes for Skype doing this and for Steam doing this posted on previous pages, and I thought maybe it was steam until I tested it without steam open, and I've checked the volume mixer to see if it's been lowered in there but no dice, all the volumes for every application behave as though nothing is changed and the levels are set exactly where they are supposed to be.

This is driving me crazy.

Turn of system sounds?

Actually i think it might be "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device", in control panel, sound, playback tab, hit properties for your speakers or whatever it is, then on the advanced tab, uncheck "allow.."

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

longview posted:

I have a Windows 2012 server with a APC SmartUPS over USB, so it shows up like a normal battery with percentages etc.

Is there a log of when the UPS was used and for how long is was in use enabled in Windows? I can't find any power management logging in the normal Event Viewer.

If not there's always Powerchute on APC.com

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Medullah posted:

I've found for super computer illiterate people Teamviewer works better than LogMeIn. I'm talking people that ask whether or not a hard drive will continue to back up a computer when it's been disconnected.
Been six months since i last used Logmein, but then you could export an .exe or .msi, with your accountsettings, email it over to the person you're trying to help and just tell them to ok-ok-ok through the installation.

It'd show up on your account and then you just connect.
This was for domain-connected users so you'd have to logon using their ad credentials, on a home computer you'd just need a simple password (i think, never tried). So that password would be set during the installation and it would then be used for all future connections. You could set logmein to autoupdate in the background, hide the systray icon and not give any error messages to the local user.

We're only running teamviewer free at work so whatever i do i only have five minutes to do it in, which compared to logmein pisses me off. Sorry.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Xander77 posted:

It's been a while since I've used Irfanview, but I don't recall it being very good at browsing a bunch of files at once. I don't want to open each gif file separately (as you would have to with web browsers etc, right?), I just want to arrow/click through a bunch (which you could do with the default XP file viewer, wtf microsoft?)
Acdsee (classic) then?

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Neowyrm posted:

So, I'm considering the upgrade to 8.1 when it comes out, but I want to have the option to revert to 7 in case I absolutely hate it. I have my 7-Professional product key hidden away deep in my hard drive, under lock and key and armed guard, but I can't seem to find a legitimate Windows 7 Professional download anywhere. Is it even still possible to download it? I feel gypped.

The digitalriver ones still works don't they? Of course i'm not at work at the moment but i downloaded a danish 7 x64 last week...

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Illuminado posted:

Windows actually has an ISO to USB utility that works incredibly well.
Along with a Digital Download of a Win 7 ISO which is completely legal under Win 7's new terms.
Also, something that i got stuck with, if creating 64bit installation media on a 32bit o/s you'll need to get another bootsect.exe file, see info here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...87-7b6e1d719636
Otherwise the copy process to the usb will go fine for it's 20 minutes and then just fail at 100% :)

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

hooah posted:

Is there any reason I would be unable to change the status of my laptop's wireless adapter other than that it's fried? I have an Asus Eee 1215n, and the hotkey makes the OSD show the wifi off or on, but the icon in my tray always has a red X over it.
Drivers?

Does it show in devicemanager? (right click "computer", manage, device manager)
Does it show as inactivated or with an exclamation mark or anything like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

IT Guy posted:

I'm looking for a program that does a good job at making bootable USB keys from an iso, etc. Any recommendations?
And another question like this, is there any good way to get rid of the limitations of "Error 60: File for drive emulation must be in one contiguous disk area"?
I have a working usb-drive that i usually add new isos to and i'm not always successful. Wincontig takes forever to run..