Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How do I get my GFX card to always use PCI-e 2.0 instead of 1.1?

It's giving me stuttering issues when it's not on 2.0 playing back hd movies. Nor is my cpu being used up instead, so it just lags.

I got around this by having it launch in full screen and in focus, but :smith:

I like alt tabbing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

LoKout posted:

The PCIe question - under the advanced power options there's some PCIe power management settings. Turn those off or to low and it should fix your problem.

Those are already set to off.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've got an XFX 4890 and a UD3 chipset board.

Outdated I know, but it's 2.0 compatible and I notice the issue only arises when it's at 1.1. I notice this through Gpu-z, and there is a coorelation between GPU-z saying it's at 1.1 and it running at 2.0 and the hd content (dxva) not playing properly when it's at 1.1.

edit:

this is my specific motherboard http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2982#sp

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm not sure the proper place to ask this but...

Is there a way I can play a UK DVD on my region 1 dvd drive without changing the region?

Can I play it on a ps2 or something? :(

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

I wouldn't be surprised if there were freeware that could do the job too.

What I'm trying to do is play the dvds without ripping them or reburning them. I thought with AnyDVD that ripped them.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

mobn posted:

VLC will play any region of DVD. I use it to watch UK dvds sometimes.

Kind of not related to this thread but, VLC can't on Macs because when you stick in the dvd OSX refuses to let anything do anything with the disk until you choose the region. If you don't it just spits the disk back out.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

revolther posted:

So you can't just pick whatever corresponding region, then have VLC read the file? It's built in video decoder shouldn't give a gently caress as long as it can read it. Is OSX locking down read/write permissions on non-regional dvds? It doesn't seem very hard to just browse the disc, tell a file to open with VLC and be done with it.

Are you trying to use the formal DVD menus or something?

Well, since this isn't the mac thread I won't really derail this too much but what I described was what happened. Trying to play the dvd through VLC looked like it worked for a second, then it just stopped playing and the movie part of the window minimized (as if you had opened vlc and didn't choose anything to play). Canceling the window asking about changing your region to 2 made the OS spit the disk out.

However, if it works with AnyDVD then I'll simply do that on a windows PC. I was just curious what my option was on windows mostly.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

is there a way to change the icon and text of an item in the taskbar?

For example, you open up Notepad, it shows up on the task bar with wordpad and the wordpad icon.

Possible somehow?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, I thought of those, but nothing to change the text that displays. I suppose I could go icon based for the taskbar...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there anything like 7zip or WinRAR that doesn't unload to the windows drive? I have an SSD with not much space on it, and if I have a file compressed on a different drive, and unload it to THAT drive, I want it to STAY on that drive.

edit: while not optimal, I just put it to F so it stops trying to unpack to my C drive, to copy over from my C to my F drive, when the source in on the F drive :what:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 23, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

AcridWhistle posted:

Every driver is poo poo

Some reason windows keeps screwing up with creative's drivers for the xtrememusic card. Now it defaulted to spdif for some reason, and says my speakers aren't connected (they are) so refuses to do anything. I'm gonna try reinstalling my sound drivers, but I find not restarting after doing so is very hit or miss in terms of performance and stability.

I don't even have spdif.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's a good program to batch convert .png to .jpg without a huge loss in quality while being more compressed? I save them in lossless PNG but 3mb+ files are too big, but I also want them saved at like a 95% quality without having to open up each one in Paint.net and re-saving it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Grawl posted:

Irfanview.

Is there a way to change the quality settings? Because I found its jpg saving to be very lossy

edit: nvm I found it.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 13, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What does it mean when it seems like the Virtual Disk Service seems to be stalled? I pull up computer, and it's forever searching for a drive, but I can go into the directory of a drive if I link into it directly or search it by doing Z:\ or whatever

Also Disk management never finishes loading...?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If my computer is overlaying weird graphics (like from other programs) for a few seconds, or having little graphical bugs like dots near letters in font for half a second, and so forth what's going on?

This only started recently, my gpu isn't overclocked (though it is unlocked, I later decided to put it to stock since I couldn't get a stable overclock a couple months back), and it's only around 50~C or so so its not overheating. Nothing is so far.

I'm gonna be home in an hour or so to check up on my PC (sometimes I really wish I could just login to it from anywhere while it's already logged in) but do you think I should restart or reinstall the 11.4 AMD drivers, or roll back to 11.2?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

fishmech posted:

He shouldn't do it, it's the proper place and I've never had a Steam game complain about needing admin permissions everytime it runs. Something else is screwed up with his system.

No he really should because some games throw a hissy fit if they're installed to program files because they want full access which by default being in that folder will not be. It's not an issue with steam.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just found the best program for searching. It's called "everything" and I'm using it now to search for files I was looking for.

Win7 search loving blows, I don't know why they messed it up from vista's.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Your computer is broken. Win7 search works just fine.

My computer is broken on a brand new install of ultimate? Yeah I don't think so.

Searching takes forever, it doesn't search properly for named files or files that have a name in it, searching is only based in that folder making you go back to my computer to search all the drives, etc

This does it lickidy split and updates it on changes that happen in the system immediately. Start typing something in, oops it's right there instantly. It's exactly what I want.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

e2: Remember now, I'm just talking about straight-up looking for files and folders, not any of the other things windows search does, like quickly launching programs. I *do* use it for that.

I just stick everything to my task bar or desktop and if I need to search for something that doesn't fit on either I just do a windowsbutton+search and it comes right up.

LoKout posted:

2gb is memory is very likely causing the slowdowns on your search. 3gb will help, and 4 would be a major improvement. Depending on where you're trying to search it may not be in the default search index locations. You can tweak that, or just add the whole drive. The latter will make some large index files, though, so be wary of the blanket approach. Search for "Indexing Options" to tweak the settings/add locations.

I don't think so, I have 8.

Maybe I should clarify.

I rarely use windows search. Sometimes, when I do use it, I want to search for a item I just downloaded but can't find in typical places. Or maybe I know I have an old file somewhere, but I can't find it. So I go and I type something in, and windows search takes like 30 seconds to a minute and finally goes "oops can't find it" so I try again, and waitttttt nope sorry can't find it.

Or I have the disks set to be indexed, and practically any search goes "searches might be slow in non-indexed locations, add to index?" yet the drive is set to indexed??

For things I can find, it populates me with results (such as "lol") in a second, but takes aaaaageesss to finish searching and populating. I don't have that with Everything. "Everything" comes up all at once, kind of like the Foobar2000 search function.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 6, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

thrawn86 posted:

is there any reason for me to keep any of these installed? all the visual c++ stuff was required when I had visual studio installed on my personal machine for a project, and it just keeps accumulating there...

If you play games, yeah. They all require specific builds of VC++

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

gmq posted:

After using Ubuntu (and then Linux Mint) for a couple of months I've grown used to visible volume displays. Weirdly enough it was hard to find something that was nice to look at and worked well when I switched back to Win7.

In the end I ended up using 3RVX which looks pretty good and is skinnable.

If anyone has any better suggestions, I'd be very happy to hear them though.

How does this interact with other volume OSDs? Like say with the logitech software?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It astounds me how many people hate UAC and turn it off. They all find it to "be a pain" and "I've had it off for ages and I don't have any viruses!"

I can't get over it :psyduck:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

For the record, he wanted to disable the Mappoint EULA prompt, not UAC.

No sorry I wasn't talking about a goon, but some people on another forum. They're just loving retarded.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there any program for windows 7 that tracks your clipboard usage? Something with proper utf-8 or 16 abilities and a history list so you can easily go back to something you copied?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does anyone know why double clicking external filters in MPC doesn't do anything? I should be able to get settings but it doesn't do jack poo poo. :<

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Uh, suddenly my 2TB external is showing up that it's in a RAW form....what in the world?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How do I get apps in windows 7 to stop stealing focus? This is bugging the poo poo out of me and it seems there was a regedit fix for xp but not for 7?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How the gently caress do you autofill poo poo in a table through Word2010?

I'd use Excel but I don't have excel installed atm for some reason.

I need to autofill some formulas.

Arggh I don't remember how to do this... How the flying gently caress do you make one value appear only on the horizontal axis and the other on the vertical? Switch rows moves the whole thing over

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 1, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've performed a chkdsk and done a startup repair of my windows install on my ssd and nothing works! It starts to load the mouse before the login screen, then reboots :(

What can I do?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Suniikaa posted:

SARDU is a great tool for making a bootable live cs/usb stick with plenty of ISO utilities. You can have it download them itself and also add any ISO of your own. Will also update an existing SARDU disk with new updates and will also update the definitions of any AV ISOs.

http://www.sarducd.it/

I've tried using gparted, setting the 100MB to boot and the normal install partition to primary/active no dice.

I tried overwriting the mbr with testdisk which got rid of the bootmgr missing issue I had, most of the bootsec stuff would just return Element not found

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I don't understand how testdisk can't find any partitions on the drive, yet I'm able to pull data from it :\

I suppose the best I can do is back up the user folders and program files and reinstall then copy them back over, while I wait for a new hard drive to come in around wednesday

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

At this point I want to know what Winamp skin Nubcakes was running. I'm betting it was something like this:

Oh my god I hated winamp 3+ so much, all the skins were garbage and it was sluggish as poo poo compared to winamp 2

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Why must you hurt me so :(

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Okay so I have a backup harddrive that has a restore point on it but no system image (because apparently doing a system image takes more space than is available on the friggin drive and I made a 75gb partition for a 64gb ssd that was only about 50gb full UGH)

The drive failed me before and I had to reformat to get windows to play nice, and I would rather not reformat at all, especially not at midnight. It's throwing 0xc00000e9 at me when I try to start it, and in recovery the OS doesn't even show up.

is it possible to wipe and resize the backup harddrive I'm using, then copy over my whole SSD to it, then run windows repair on that harddrive to get a bootsector on it?

That would be the most painless thing I can think of, because while in windows recovery I can still search through the drive.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Man you guys hear about office 2013? That subscription requirement makes me sad.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

psylent posted:

Is there an app that can monitor and give stats/graphs about how much data is flowing in/out of my PC?

Resource monitor isn't quite cutting it.

NetMeter owns and I always install it.

What's the best battery app to run? I want to control power usage better than the stock win 7 one which is pretty lovely.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sometimes when I put windows to sleep, it goes to sleep then immediately wakes back up.

Then I try putting it to sleep...and it immediately wakes back up again.

I tried disconnecting my external hdd thinking that was the cause, but that didn't change anything. What could be the issue?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Factor Mystic posted:

What version of Windows? If you open an administrative command prompt and run "powercfg /lastwake" after this happens, what does it say?

I'll have to tell you next time it happens, because the computer wouldn't go to sleep so I had to shut it down because I can't leave it running during the day (dad :argh: )

Gromit posted:

Could your mouse be waking it up with some tiny movement?

No nothing like that was happening. In fact, when it goes to sleep normally, nothing wakes the computer up except pressing the power button once. I kind of want to change that to wake on mouse clicks or something.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What program do I use if I want to wipe a hard drive a few times to prevent basic file recovery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a program I can use or feature of MPC HC/VLC to normalize volume? There's too much of a dichotomy between speaking and explosions :(