Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
I presume Steam and all the games work fine with W7?

I am loving this new taskbar thing, I love the Windows Explorer thing where all the folders are just grouped together and can be easily closed out of without opening them!

Also, is there any reason why my old games like Starcraft and Diablo II look like poo poo? How do you run in XP mode?

deltawing fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
So I tried XP mode today and it seemed pretty laggy here and there, anyone else experience this?

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

fishmech posted:

What processor do you have?

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

Any particular reason you're not running Aero?

I...didn't know I wasn't. I haven't turned Aero off, at least to my knowledge.

I reformatted Vista today, and installed W7 with Aero activated. I dunno if Aero is the same in W7, but I haven't changed poo poo.

I always preferred Windows Classic view in Vista, but to my knowledge I'm using Aero in W7 :/

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
Steam won't load, it says Error opening key, or something like that, wtf?

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
Can you open Briefcases from an XP computer in Windows 7?

I'm having not responding issues with opening briefcases :/

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

deltawing posted:

Can you open Briefcases from an XP computer in Windows 7?

I'm having not responding issues with opening briefcases :/

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'm pretty sure that you only need a valid key and/or CD to do an upgrade install. I'm not up on the mechanics of it, since I only do clean wipes, myself, but that's what I believe I saw about Vista, at least.

If that's the case then I can deal with that.

Just put my order in for the Upgrade, 50 bucks is something I can get behind.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
I was chatting online with Dell Service Tech Support today and the dude found out I was using W7 RC and he couldn't stop raving about how awesome he thought the OS was, turns out it's pretty legit after all.

Still loving this, can't wait to receive the retail version in October!

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
I bought http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DHLUWK/ref=ox_ya_oh_product for 50 bucks during the deal back in June.

Currently running the RC, will I have to re-install my Vista Home Premium that came with my computer BEFORE I can do this upgrade? And also, everytime I reformat (which is kind of often), will I have to revert back to Vista just to get 7, or can I just reformat straight from the upgrade disk?

EDIT: I think I may have found my answer in the OP, I must've missed it the first time, but I guess I would like some clarification on the reformat question. Say I upgraded to 7 from Vista Home Premium, but I wanna reformat. Do I just use the 7 Upgrade disk and reformat from there or do I have to go back to my factory installed OS, aka Vista Home Premium?

EDIT 2: I guess I've just never used an Upgrade disk before. Is it just gonna ask for my serial from Vista Home Premium and ensure it's legit and then allow me to clean install with the 7 Upgrade disk?

Thanks for the help :3 Hope I didn't make it too confusing, I just wanna make sure my 50 bucks was well spent for the Upgrade and that it won't be a MAJOR pain in the rear end when I wanna reformat all the time.

deltawing fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 4, 2009

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

ilkhan posted:

Install once, activate, image. Never worry about it again.

Make in image of the activated copy? I'm not a total retard (or maybe I am) but further clarification would be appreciated :) thanks man

deltawing fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 4, 2009

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Lum posted:

There are a variety of programs out there which can clone hard drives either to other hard drives or to a file. Think of it as a .ISO but for a harddrive.

Acronis TrueImage is the goon-approved one, but you have to pay for that. I used a free one called SelfImage that does roughly the same thing. Basically you boot from a boot CD/Floppy/USB with a suitable imaging program installed and dump the contents into a file on a USB harddrive.

But basically yes, install Win7 once (clean install preferably) and then before you even start installing drivers (as they will probably have been updated by the time you come to re-install your image) take an image, keep it somewhere safe and if you need to reformat, you just blast the image back onto your harddrive using the same boot CD, problem solved.

The alternative to doing this would be having to reinstall Vista every time just for a proper 7 reformat with my Upgrade disk, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Not really anything about the RC or anything but still clears up a lot of questions.

deltawing fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 7, 2009