Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Supposedly that movie maker that comes with live is still beta and missing a lot of features (Yeah, I'll say). I read a post somewhere saying the team was aware of how crappy and limited it was and they were trying to get all the big features implemented by the end of the year.

I sure hope that's the case because right now it's basically unusable. Especially when you compare it against the vista version.

edit:
http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2F7EB29B42641D59!41131.entry

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

toxick posted:

Is anyone with Realtek HD Audio experiencing a lot of audio popping/clicking? It's been happening for me for months now, and every time Realtek releases a new driver, I install it only to be disappointed that the popping it still there.

It happens mostly while I'm watching videos (I use the CCCP with MPC-HC), but it also occurs while listening to music (I use FB2K). I did some Google searches and I'm obviously not the only one with this problem, but so far I've not found a fix for it.

I'm running build 7100.

Yeah the realtek drivers haven't been working very well for me either. They seemed fine in the build 7000 beta but when I went to build 7100 suddenly issues started cropping up. Using the built in drivers I don't get popping or stuttering but my microphone sends a constant high pitched tone if I use it for anything. The Realtek drivers that were available when the RC came out had the same problem. Lately though the Realtek drivers seem to have fixed the microphone issue but at the expense of lots of audio stutters etc.

I ended up just going back to the default windows drivers and using a USB microphone for skype/other voice apps.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

thrawn86 posted:

what suprised me is that this instal refused to load a default driver, when every other install did just fine. vista, RC1, etc. rather, it installs "high definition audio device, but it doesn't work. it also pulls up an unknown "other device" called NTativrv01. wtf.

A web search says that NTativrv01 is related to ATI video cards. Odd that that would relate to sound drivers?

I have an Asus P5Q motherboard and the default windows driver works better than the official drivers except the microphone produces a high pitch tone. But I don't use the Mic on that card so I guess it's ok.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Ah, that explains why the Realtek download site has a driver for "ATI HDMI Audio Device" available too

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Yeah I am running the Win7 RC and see that Live 3.0 update too

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

fishmech posted:

Go to Computer or type C:\ etc in the run box?

Also I think if you use the Windows Key + E combination it opens a more traditional looking explorer window.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there anything like 7zip or WinRAR that doesn't unload to the windows drive? I have an SSD with not much space on it, and if I have a file compressed on a different drive, and unload it to THAT drive, I want it to STAY on that drive.

edit: while not optimal, I just put it to F so it stops trying to unpack to my C drive, to copy over from my C to my F drive, when the source in on the F drive :what:

I've found in those programs they seem to have different behavior depending on how you extract. Like in WinRar if you drag and drop something out of the archive it will extract to your temp folder (on C) and then copy it to the destination but I think if you use the 'Extract' or 'Extract to' buttons on the toolbar it will extract directly to the destination.

I have a feeling 7zip works in a similar way but I am not positive.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not exactly clear what you want here, but I wrote Soundswitch, which lets you change the sound device with a hotkey.

I like the idea of triggering sound device changes based on the active foreground window, though...

I'll add that to my todo list.

A thought occurred to me that might be useful for your program while reading this. You could make it into a Windows widget so there could always be a little box on the desktop showing which output was selected and be able to select a different one with a click. Not sure if that might suit some people better than using hotkeys though.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

kri kri posted:

Windows now makes my icons 3 wide, and its cutting them off and irritating me. Any idea on a fix?

Unlock the start bar and drag it to the width you want then lock it again? I have the problem occasionally on XP where the width of the start bar must change every once in a while because my quick launch icons will go from 4 wide to 3 wide and I have to play with the bar width to re-fix it.

Sup vertical start bar buddy :)

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I use dual monitors and keep my start bar vertical on the left side of the right hand screen.

This keeps the main (left) screen clear for showing maximum real-estate. And I found that quite often my mouse movement was to click the top right corner to close a window then bring the mouse to the bottom left corner to click the Start button. I figured, why not just move those two things closer together and it has worked out splendidly for me :)

Additionally it keeps all the items on the start bar nice and central for working on either monitor without having to use some kind of third party software to duplicate or extend the bar onto both monitors.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Factory Factory posted:

Easiest way is to browse the web with not-updated versions of Flash and Java that auto-execute. The second easiest way (but more reliable) is to pirate stuff, especially software, indiscriminately. Third easiest way is to not have a good spam filter and click on e-mail attachments like "SO FUNNY MUST WATCH HOT BLONDE ON BLONDE ACTION.AVI.scr".

So, you know, be stupid and gullible.

There was a period when attacks via Flash/Java/Acrobat really started to pick up but before those products really checked for hot fixes actively that made it quite easy to pick up an infection if you happened to visit a site who's ad provider got hacked. It was really luck of the draw whether you'd get hacked or not no matter how smart you were. Extensions/browser options to disable 3rd party apps by default weren't so common then either.

Oh, plus those days when XP first came out and 24/7 internet was just getting super common and home routers were not that widespread. There were all those worms that would infect PC's just while they were online, no interaction needed from anyone.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Yeah the early days of XP were the worst. I remember doing a re-install once before they implemented windows firewall and without a hardware router. Before I could even get to windows update to get the hotfixes to close those vulnerabilities the PC was already infected. So probably within 5-10 minutes of install.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Sizzlechest posted:

Usenet.

That's when I learned about slipstreaming. BTW, if you need to do offline updating, the WSUS Offline Updater is your best bet.

Yeah, at the time I ended up just downloading SP1 to a separate computer then burning it to a CD I think.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Mak0rz posted:

Oh Blaster :allears:

Truly those were the glory days :corsair:

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Does Flash actually check for hotfixes? It seems like Secunia is the only thing giving me a heads up on this. And today is one of those days.

As far as MSSE/Avira chat goes, I'm going to stick with MS for now but this is at least the second time I've heard Avira getting higher marks. Hopefully MS will pick up their game.

Also, apologies in advance if this is contributing to a derail since there is a nice thread on security issues here, it doesn't seem to be that active anymore though.

Every few weeks when I reboot my computer Flash and/or Air and/or Acrobat prompt me for updates to be installed so I just assumed those were hotfixes. It could be those are actual product updates though I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

NihilCredo posted:

What's the simplest way to make Windows automatically dump a camera's pictures to a given folder as soon as it's connected? i.e. without having a clunky piece of bloatware permanently running.

That's a built in function on windows vista/7. When you plug in a camera it should pop open an auto play prompt and one of the options is to import pictures. Once you set it up how you want it you can tell the auto play prompt to always run that action when you plug in that device. Mine imports all the photos to a date-named folder then deletes all the pictures off the camera as soon as I plug it in.

Not sure if XP has something like this.