Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Where can I find Windows 7 drivers for a linksys WMP54GV4? I've tried the ones from the website and they don't work. It's the only thing not working, and incredibly frustrating since I can't place my computer in the room with the router, nor can I run wires all the way upstairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

R-Type posted:

You're loving lucky I peeped in on this thread and had recently upgraded a HTPC in a remote bedroom with one of these cards.

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Windows.html

Grab the RT2500 driver for Vista. Ralink makes the card for Linksys. A little fiddly but the driver works solidly. I was able to stream Batman Dark Knight h.264 encoded - a 16GB sized file with nary a dropped frame.

Hmm..it doesn't seem like this is working for my 64 bit version of windows...I installed the drivers and still got nothing. Maybe I'm loving something up on my end, though. I'd prefer not going out and spending money when I have a perfectly viable card, but it seems like that's what I'm going to have to do.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

R-Type posted:

Hey, I'm a loving idiot.

Try the http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/d....0.9.0_Free.exe

set and see how you fare.

Still nothing :( I installed the drivers only, and it still doesn't detect it. When I try manually selecting drivers for it, it gives me a Code 10 cannot start device error.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just chiming in to give a big Thank You to R-Type for giving me direction in finding drivers for my wireless card! The links he posted didn't work, but I did some digging after discovering the chipset manufacturer, and this website:
http://www.phildawg.com/?p=50
had drivers that worked!

Anyone that has a linksys WMP54G V4 (NOT 4.1) and wants to use it with Windows 7 64 bit, I highly recommend getting the drivers from the link on that site.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I came into a weird problem yesterday..I purchased 2 flash drives about two months ago, one a 4gig and one an 8gig. Both worked perfectly fine, until yesterday when I tried to use the 4gig drive to transfer files from my macbook to my windows 7 desktop (don't have internet set up in my new place yet). The macbook sees the files and all of the memory on the 4gig drive perfectly fine, but when I plug it into my windows 7 pc, it says the drive has not been formatted, and when I try to format it, it only sees 200mb. The 8gig drive is fine, and again, no matter how I format it on the macbook, I can see all the available space, and I've copied files onto it that are larger than 200mb as well. Any suggestions?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

wang souffle posted:

Formatted with HFS+ or using a GPT partition table? Should be able to tell with Disk Utility on the Mac.

I'm willing to bet it's using a GPT partition table..I had it formatted as a Windows 7 boot drive. I'll test when I get home, thanks!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm buying a new laptop for my aunt and I'd like to get windows 7 up and running before I give it to her. My plan is this:

Get laptop, do a clean install of Windows 7 after Vista has been activated, then use the key the laptop manufacturer sends to activate when they send their free upgrade copy. Will this work, or would I need to wait for an OEM copy of Windows 7? I haven't purchased a prebuilt computer in years and I don't know if OEM keys are linked to OEM discs still.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is anyone else having problems with Windows 7 recognizing their DVD drive? I installed Windows 7 32 bit on my Dell Inspiron 1545, and now the drive disappears from Windows, seemingly at random. When I eject the drive, it shows up, but when I close the tray, with a disc in or not, it eventually disappears from windows explorer as well as the device manager. This computer is one day old, so I would assume it's not a hardware failure already, and when it does detect a disc it works fine..until it again disappears from Windows. The drive, when it shows up, is listed as a TSSTCORP DVD+-RW-L633B ATA DEVICE in the device manager.

Also, it appears my brother is having a similar problem with the computer I built him with Windows 7 on it. I don't have the specs in front of me, but I'm pretty sure his dvd drive is a lite-on oem dvd burner. He says it will randomly stop in the middle of watching a dvd.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sweeper posted:

It sounds like the DVD Drive is turning off when it isn't being used and windows doesn't see it anymore. I'm just guessing so take it with a grain of salt

That's what I thought..but sometimes it will disappear after reading the disc. For example, I was trying to teach my aunt how to import cd's in iTunes (she hasn't owned a computer in 4 years), so we popped in an Eric Clapton CD. The CD showed up in iTunes, but when we clicked the import button, it gave us an error message, and I found the drive had disappeared again.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't think this warranted its own thread, so I'll post it here:
I recently purchased a new receiver (Onkyo SR607) in order to hook up my 360, PC, and soon a cable box to one monitor. Right now the receiver is hooked up to my Acer H233H monitor. When the PC was plugged into the monitor via DVI, I didn't have any problems, but now that it's running through the receiver, the picture isn't taking up the entire viewing area of the monitor. There's about a 1/2" black border around the picture, which makes everything a bit fuzzy. The problem does not occur with my Xbox, which is why I figured this was a windows problem. The reason I have it hooked up via HDMI is I want to have sound transfered through the videocard as well, which seems to be working fine.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro, with a radeon 4890 videocard, And an older core 2 duo processor.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Vastly Outnumbered posted:

I had the same basic problem with my TV and Onkyo 805, and it's a pain in the rear end to find the scaling options in CCC. You need to launch Catalyst Control Center, select Desktops and Displays from the drop-down, and then right-click the lower picture of your display (the one below "Please select a display" rather than the larger, centered picture), and select configure. You'll find the scaling options in there.

I had a slightly different problem, my videocard was trying to display at 59hz instead of 60, but I wouldn't have found that had you not pointed those steps out. Thanks for the help!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
ATi's catalyst control panel is acting weird..I want to adjust my overscan settings, but it seemingly won't let me. You're supposed to be able to go to the menu, select Desktops & Displays, click the black arrow above your monitor at the bottom and select Configure..., but every time I do that, it takes me to the welcome screen. What did I do wrong?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

evale posted:

I tried that route and it would not let me format the partition. I remember an error about not being able to install in Partition/Disk 0 or something along those lines. It doesn't give me an option to create a new partition and I'm stuck on that screen.

My question was about formatting the drive before installing Win7 and then using the boot USB/DVD to run setup.

Not a big deal though, it was more an experiment than anything, and I'll probably have it run Ubuntu or something if it keeps giving me problems.

Were you starting the installation process while running whatever OS is on there currently? That could cause the problem..try booting directly off the Win7 DVD and see what happens.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Every DVD I try to play through Windows Media Player doesn't have video. Audio seems to be fine, but the only thing that comes up for the video are overlays in the menu. For example, the red arrow in Rushmore's menu that you use to navigate options. I'm running Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit. All the DVD's I've tried play fine in my Macbook.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Enabling hardware acceleration results in nothing displaying properly other than menu overlays for my DVD's. Is this a simple fix, or do I need to post something in the tech support forum for this? Windows 7 64 bit, Radeon 4890, and this seems to do it in every DVD player software I've tried.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I can't think of a better place to post this: is there a way to force Netflix quality settings in Windows 7? My internet connection is fast enough to support HD streaming, but over a wireless G connection for whatever reason netflix always gets to about 33-50% quality detection before starting to stream, and the video always looks like poo poo.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Guerrand posted:

If you're using the standard viewer on their website, ctrl-shift-alt-S may work.

Hmm..according to that I'm streaming at max bitrate, but it still looks like poo poo. I'm outputting to a 1080p monitor, but I'm not viewing fullscreen, an the picture looks horribly pixelated, doesn't do scene transitions well, and there is just constant video problems no matter how long I let it stream.

Edit: for comparison's sake, I'm comparing Netflix streaming of 30 Rock Season 1 (which at least used to to stream in HD) to my MLB.TV HD streaming of the current Pirates/Giants game, which looks phenomenal, even when scaled to 1080p fullscreen.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 14, 2010

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

How's your wifi signal?

Perfectly fine, my computer and router are about 15 feet away. I can switch from an MLB.TV game looking awesome to a netflix TV show (reportedly supporting HD streaming) looking like serious poo poo. I just finished the Pirates/Giants game that was on tonight and it looked phenomenal, but when I moved back to try to watch 30 Rock, Weeds...basically anything that should be streaming HD, it looks like rear end again.

Edit: nevermind..I was replying before the previous post replied...I was using my 360 to stream before, which is why I got HD, but it died so I can't use it anymore. And yes, that is incredibly retarded.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 14, 2010

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've got an old Linksys wireless G card (WMP54G V4.0) that I had running on Windows 7 on an old 250gb pata hard drive..I just upgraded to a 1.5TB SATA hard drive and I did a clean install of Windows 7 pro. Problem is, I had to jump through a ton of hoops to get this card to work with Windows 7 since Linksys doesn't officially support it. Is there a way to plug my old drive back in, boot off of it, and pull the drivers off of that? I can't seem to find the driver install exe that I used to get it up and running in the first place.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Technogeek posted:

Based off my Googling, that card uses the Ralink RT2500 chipset. It might be worth trying the Vista drivers here.

The worst part is, I know it's an Ralink chipset, and I know I got some sort of Ralink drivers..but nothing from their website works. I even found an RA2500.sys file in my drivers folder on the old hard drive. Windows keeps saying it cant find any drivers for the thing even when I direct it straight to the folder.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Technogeek posted:

Try one of the drivers linked here, maybe?

This worked, thanks! It took several hours of fiddling, but eventually it recognized the card as a Conceptronic wireless card...who knows.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
How do I disable trackpad clicking on my netbook? I cant find it in the mouse settings, but I want to completely disable clicking from the trackpad and only allow clicking from the buttons.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going out of town for about a month, what's the easiest way for me to set up access to my home desktop's movies/music? All I need is the ability to download files off the computer remotely.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have a recommendation for BluRay playback (Windows 7 64 bit)?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for an easy to use cloud-type system that will allow me to:
a) sync my class papers across computers
b) have a dedicated, private, storage dump for family photos that I can use to distribute to my parents/aunts&uncles/whoever after holidays or major events without them having to think.

From my research, it sounds like providers sync the content in shared folders across systems, so if I have a 5-10gig shared folder of family photos, it gets locally stored on everyone's computer: is that correct? If that's the case, forget it, I can't have my family bitching about me trying to share family events because they ran out of storage. And if that's the case, what's the most secure provider for personal small-use storage? Not that I'm worried about people stealing my crappy papers, but I've heard a lot of Dropbox, SpiderOak, & Copy, and I'm not sure which one would be the best to use.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 in a VMWare Fusion VM on my Macbook. After only installing the vSphere client and windows updates, I have 1.32GB free of the 30 gigs I allocated for the VM. Does this sound right, and if not how do I clear space? I ran Disk Cleanup, but after telling me I could free up an extra 5gb from Temporary files cleanup, it actually took away an extra 200mb.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 12, 2015

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Work is offering to sell employees their old computers for a grand total of $5 for the computer, monitors, keyboard, & mouse (Core 2 Duos, so not great but a lot of people are taking them up on this offer as a backup for basic document editing & whatnot). Since people know I'm a nerd they have asked me for assistance with getting the computer set up for them since the OS will be wiped prior to sale. What I'd like to do is get their OS installed and activated, get all patches and antivirus installed, and create an image of this for them on DVDs so they can recover in the case of a catastrophic failure. Is the imaging portion of my plan something Windows 7 can do natively, and if not what is the best software to get this accomplished? I want to make it very clear to them that, after the initial set up, I'm going to be hands off.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 30, 2015

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

Is there any good software for ripping video off of websites?

Something that can handle doing the job in general rather than requiring me to figure out if it's flash or webm or whatever would be nice, but, really, anything that works would be good.

There's lots of google results but all of them look kind of shady.

I've had this plugin for Firefox and it's worked really well so far:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Will Veeam Endpoint automatically remove the oldest backups when the backup drive fills up? My brother is actually running into this problem now; I don't know what software he's using (will know later today) but it's apparently filled his drive up and has refused to back up anything else for months now. I'm trying to help him out by finding something that's as hands-off as possible once everything is set up.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
For work (small company, outsourced IT department) my department has lenovo X1 Carbon laptops, with an HDMI->VGA adapter to connect to a Dell E2414H monitor. It's working really well; however one person in my department needs two monitors. The 2nd monitor is connected to the first monitor via DVI, but no signal is getting to the 2nd monitor. Do we need a different adapter, or is this a Windows problem, or something else?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Medullah posted:

Hold Windows + P and make sure it's set up to extend/duplicate displays as needed

I checked that and it's set to extend. The 1st external monitor works just fine, it's the 2nd monitor we're having problems with; we've got a black screen saying no connection from DVI-D.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

thebigcow posted:

I'm not aware of any display technology besides Displayport and Thunderbolt that allows daisy chaining displays. There are USB video cards that may be suitable for your work that would allow you to run a second monitor off your laptop. I would also suggest looking into HDMI to DVI adapters instead of your current setup, you should have a noticeable improvement in video quality.

This is kind of what I was thinking, but one of the higher-ups here was quite sure he had a similar setup at his previous employer. I'll let my coworker know that the company may need to pick up a different adapter for her. Thanks!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I purchased an LG HBS750 bluetooth headset that's working extremely well for everything (Nexus 7, Macbook Pro, iPhone 5, iPad Air) but the device I purchased it for: my Lenovo X1 Carbon work computer running Windows 8.1. When I pair it with the computer, audio comes through the headset but the mic doesn't work and going into the recording/playback device manager freezes the computer and the headset starts disconnecting even though the computer is 2 feet away. The computer is managed by our 3rd party IT department so I can't do anything without calling them first; could this be an issue where drivers aren't being installed properly due to permissions issues?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
A bit beyond normal use, but not big enough for the Enterprise thread:

I've got a group of 6 PCs running Windows 7/8.1/10 Pro (and one Server 2012 R2, all being moved to 10 soon, this isn't a business use scenario case ) that I'd like to start managing via Server 2012 R2. I've got the domain created, set up user accounts in AD, and connected my clients to the domain. Two are media players which should have access to only run certain programs and I'd like to lock down as far as plugging stuff in, two are personal computers that are mostly for web browsing and Office365 stuff, one is my gaming PC and the other is the server. I'd like to manage Windows and (hopefully) Windows Defender updates centrally, lock down access to most things for the media center pcs and give my gaming PC pretty lenient access to the system. I'm assuming Group Policy can take care of most of that, but will I need any supplemental software?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Skype now has a 300mb limit on file transfers. What is the best way to transfer larger files to family/friends now?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ynglaur posted:

OneDrive?

That involves training my family to use OneDrive. I don't understand why Skype has file size limits now.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

It's had file size limits for a long time. The most it could ever do was 4 GB in earlier versions (but the transfer usually broke down before you could get up to 1 GB or so). Then starting a few years ago, the file size limit in most of the clients became 100 MB. So expanding it to 300 MB is an increase from what it's been in recent times.

Not saying this isn't true but a couple months ago I sent my brother a file that was just under 2 gigs. Last night was the first I've ever gotten that error message.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm selling an old laptop, can I use a Windows installation usb to do a wipe of the hard drive or do I need to get a special tool?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah this thing didn't even have personal info on it, a coworker gave it to me with a bad hard drive, I put a spare one in to play around with Linux on but never ended up using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I want to send some large (~500mb-1g) files to my siblings and parents directly, Skype will not let me do this. What is the most convenient way?