Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro
Apologies if this has been answered before, but I ctrl+F'ed my way back many pages and didn't find anything. The main question I have is how do I turn on file sharing/share a folder in Windows 7 so that Windows XP can see it, and so that XP can see the 7 folders? The thing is, I've done it, in all the normal ways one would think - but over time things have been random and jumbled as I try to migrate from my old machine to my new one, and just today things started getting royally screwed. Literally, all I did was move the computers from each other's locations (swapping Ethernet cables along the way), and now nothing seems to work.

More details: I seem to get stuck in weird dead ends: 7 wants to create a HomeGroup repeatedly, which is useless since this is the only machine running 7. I searched around in the help menu and found out how it thinks to connect to XP (and other older versions), and it mentioned the sharing center, and the advanced settings tab there - none of the settings I choose there now stick (it's like it wants me to enable HomeGroup before anything will stay enabled), but it worked fine before. It also mentioned changing the WorkGroup names on all the computers to match. Despite what it suggested, on my machine I can't changed the name, so I just changed the name on the other machines to match. This worked once, for about 2 minutes. I could see the 7 stuff on XP, but not the reverse (which is really what I need more).

Edit: System restore fixed this, although it would be nice to have any idea what caused the problem in the first place. My second question below still stands, however.

As a secondary question, I saw someone a couple pages back asked about sharing with Virtual XP inside 7 - it works in one direction, but not the other. (You can see the entire drive structure of your computer in XP, but you can't see any XP stuff in 7, even if you share. The Virtual computer shows up in the "Computers" list of the network, but clicking on it gives a "Windows cannot access..." error.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

mathaeis fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

Grawl posted:

Useful things.

This is what ended up working, but before the system restore it just kept saying "This folder can't be shared" and I was not able to see anything on the network that was shared on other computers. Ever the list of available computers on the network (where you can see other network devices, like the router for instance) wasn't even showing the computer I was on, let alone the ones it was connected to.

e: and now it's all gone again, as soon as I restarted. I can't even see the drives from the whole of the 7 computer in XP mode, which never faltered before now. I guess this is par for the course for Windows, though. A boy can dream.

One more question - is it possible to edit autoexec.bat still? For my job, I need to add a system path in that file, but to the best of my searching, I cannot find it anywhere. My boss suggested to try Start - Run - sysedit, but that doesn't turn up anything for me either. Finally, I tried to simply create a .bat file with the appropriate path, but once restarting, and checking if the path existed by typing "SET" into a cmd prompt, nothing changed. Any ideas?

mathaeis fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 30, 2009