Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Could anybody recommend a good guide that can walk me through how to use the new features like the metro screen and touch stuf to their full potential?

If the tutorial that appears on first start is not enough, press start and type help then click on the help icon. All you need is there including short cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

CFox posted:

Now there's a replacement mod for that called New Vegas Tick Fix which is basically an improved version and Windows 10 compatible.

This mod has been set to hidden

Hidden at 18 Jan 2020, 12:23AM by carxt for the following reason:
beleted

Edit: it's back.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 18, 2020

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Is it true that one of the later-ish Windows 10 updates made it so that every SVCHost.exe process under the sun will now run it's own executable for every Windows process that needs it, instead of being grouped together? Hope that question makes sense. Looking at task manager I can see at least 20 instances of SVCHost.exe at any given time, probably more.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/application-management/svchost-service-refactoring

The Kins posted:

What's the best way to have tabs in Explorer nowadays? I've been using QTTabBar for a few years and it's great, but it's been breaking an awful lot with recent Windows 10 updates and it doesn't look like the official tabbed Explorer they hinted at a while back is coming out any time soon...

Just use Total Commander.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 9, 2020

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

e: doh 5sec of googling and wikipedia says it was CoreAVC

At the time CoreAVC was amazing. I had a laptop that if you used CoreAVC plus a player that could use overlay rendering (i used ZoomPlayer but there were others) could play back 720p video files.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Ok I get that but it’s enabled and it should be coming on and it’s not.

:shrug:

I legit can’t figure out why it’s broken.

Do you have a video player open? Those can prevent screensaver. You can also try closing all apps and see if it works then.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, just saying. Not having the latest version of some notepad app at all times won't make your computer blow up, but it's probably not good advice as a blanket statement.
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/news/v733-fix-cia-hacking-npp-issue/

Josh Lyman posted:

Flipping that switch was the first solution I found, but I'm also seeing stuff like editing registry keys "Turn off Microsoft consumer experiences", SilentInstalledAppsEnabled, and DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures. The fact there's varied responses probably means none of them is the actual solution and people are just guessing.

Don't touch Registry unless you absolutely know what you are doing (And if you do then document exactly what keys you changed and default values they had). I still remember in olden Windows 95 days there were countless "registry tweaks" to speed up Windows that turned out to be pure placebo, because no part of Windows read those values.

Josh Lyman posted:

There's still Candy Crush and Farm Heroes stuff in my registry. It feels gross and I'm less than 24 hours into this reinstall so I'm tempted to reformat and start again if I can actually figure out a solution.

They are sandboxed apps, simply uninstall them. If you want total control install Linux.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 18, 2020

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, this used to be true, but it isn't anymore. Famile now means that you can use it on five different devices and by five different users at a time, though, so if you have multiple people who need it, it's still a lot cheaper than individual subscriptions.

Six people (6x1TB OneDrive) each signed in on 5 devices.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

hooah posted:

so I tried going back to the built-in Mail app. Turns out it can't tell that an email in a Gmail account has attachments at all.

It shows paperclip in mail list and when you click on message all attachments are at the top.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

hooah posted:

That's what it does if I send a test email to my old college account, which now uses some variety of O365, but on both of my Gmail accounts there is no indication whatsoever of an attachment. I tried resetting and uninstalling/reinstalling the app and still it's broken.

Seems that something weird is going on with the mail app. It doesn't see attachments sent from gmail accounts, but sees when sent from any other mail. It also can't send mail to itself.
Edit: Even funnier is that the messages, that i though Windows Mail was not sending, gmail actually put in spam. When i took them out of spam, they shoewed up in Windows Mail with attachment indicators. The takeaway is that Windows Mail and Calendar is hot garbage.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 8, 2020

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Just add all the additional mail accounts to your main gmail account and use that. Or if you want a paid one use The Bat!

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Uthor posted:

cause it's easier than disabling the ad blocker on FF or chrome.
It's three clicks to disable uBlock Origin for current site and you don't have to move mouse all aroud the screen. It take 4 to open it in Edge.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
If the target can be another PC or even Raspberrypi and not a simple external drive, then Syncthing can be an option. Just enable simple file versioning. An added bonus is that it works even over internet.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

A blank installation of Windows takes up around 50 gb but it can vary depending on updates and what MS apps are installed. I've seen them bloat up to over 100 GB.

A blank Windows installation is about 15 Gb and can grow up to 30 gb

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

That might have been true for Windows 7, but it certainly isn't true for Windows 10. I paid attention last time I reinstalled and my blank installations very definitely started at 30 to 45-ish GBs.

Fresh Windows 10 2004
that was May iso.
EDIT: after updating to latest build and updating store apps. It grew to 22 gb.
EDIT2: after running all the stub store apps and so forcing them to fully install. It grew to 23 gb.
EDIT3: apparently clean installs now come with reserved storage enabled by default. On this install it shows as 7GB and surprise! the .vdi file is only 16GB.

notes:
1) those numbers include about 2gb of page/fast startup file.
2) Hidden City: Hidden object adventure is apparently a Pro app.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 7, 2020

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

On very small drives, Windows 10 will also compress some system files to save space (at the expense of performance)

The performance impact is mostly during updates when it has to recompress files. Funny thing is that on emmc drives (they are slow) compressing executable files with the "new" xpress or lzx can be either neutral or even improve launch times.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

tuyop posted:

Anything like IINA for video files for Windows? VLC works great but IINA is very slick and minimal.

MPV (IINA is based on it)

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Weedle posted:

i certainly would never trust the “reset” function to work as well as or better than the ol’ usb wipe and reinstall. could just be an old-fashioned habit i guess

Secure erase followed by clean install with deleting all partitions is the way to go. Especially if it's an older install. During the lifetime Microsoft has increased the size of recovery partition and enabled Reserved Storage by default for new installs.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

Macrium reflect

Or Macrium Reflect Free.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

galenanorth posted:

I deleted the rule so I could test this. I'm double-clicking on the tabs for the sheets, but it's not doing anything

On the top of screen near the minimize button is ribbon display options. Set it to show tabs - then you can doubleclick to show/hide.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

It's generally quite fast, so you probably won't even need the whole weekend.

Win10 has made some huge strides in improving the ability to refresh an existing install without all the labor it used to require.

Also the yearly big updates already do a partial reinstall.

Edmond Dantes posted:

It's getting to that time where I should be planning a bulldoze/reinstall and... I haven't done this in a while so I'm not sure what to look out for/backup?

If you have the space then do a full disk image backup of the Windows partition using something like Macrium Reflect (free version is enough). As various software like to put important files where they should not.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 24, 2020

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hey, I don't suppose there is a way to uncouple skype from a windows account? I use my skype from other computers when travelling, seems unwise to use the same log-in for something that can be used to access all my devices as well as my credit card info. E: I think I unlinked my gmail accounts from MS' mail app so at least it doesn't also give access to my email.

Enable 2FA. Or get another Skype account.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Jimbot posted:

How long do 2tb mechanical HDDs usually take to quick format from a clean install? I'm doing it from the boot USB and in diskpart. The status has been stuck on 0 for the past 30 minutes. Is this normal? Its been forever since I did this to a non-ssd hard drive so I can't remember how long it takes or if I had this problem before. How long should I give it? If nothing doesn't change, any possible fixes or tips?

Thanks!

Depends on speed of drive.
90 Mb/s —- 6.17 hours

100 Mb/s — 5.56 hours

110 Mb/s — 5.05 hours

120 Mb/s — 4.63 hours

130 Mb/s — 4.27 hours

140 Mb/s — 3.97 hours

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

mystes posted:

Have you heard the good news about our lord and savior quick format?

Quick format doesn't take 30 minutes, so either an accidental full format or faulty drive/cable.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

Quick format just writes a partition table & file system, and does nothing to the rest of the drive. It should be near-instant on anything faster than a 3.5" floppy.

jimbot didn't say it was a quick format at first

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

tuyop posted:

I may be thinking about this wrong and robocopy is just the thing, but I’m looking to synchronize a local folder with a network folder.

The local folder contains new versions of files (but no new files) in the network folder, and the network folder contains new files in folders that exist in both places (but no new versions of the existing files). So I’m wondering how to simultaneously overwrite the older versions of files on the network and pull the new files onto the local folder. Any ideas?

If you have access to the system that hosts the folder just set up Syncthing.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

tuyop posted:

I'm not sure how syncthing would manage these updated versions AND pull/push new files. Worth a check, probably.

It is a your personal Dropbox like software. You can even set versioning (like keep last 10 versions of changed/deleted files)

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

What's a good Picasa replacement? This is for a friend of the family who needs a desktop app replacement, nothing cloud centric.

Picasa.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

RELATED: My bank removed the ability to scan & deposit checks with my scanner and I'm PISSED.

What 3rd world country uses checks?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

This exact thing happened to me when I set up my wife's laptop last year.

During OOB press Shift-F10 to open command prompt then run ncpa.cpl to disable network adapter and it will allow to create offline account.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

Another related question - I have a ton of files that are in subdirectories. Is there any way to move all those files from their subdirectories to one major directory? Short of manually doing each one.

TotalCommander has Branch view that will show all files in folder and subolders.
In Windows explorer open folder in search box type *.* press enter.

Medullah posted:

Edit - Found a few tagging programs that'll do the trick.
It would be nice if you posted which ones worked.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 4, 2021

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

Hey, Microsoft! This is the windows software thread, why don't you make a good one of these things? You could even tie it to your goddamn MS Accounts you push all the time with fake "complete your setup" screens! I'm still not gonna use that poo poo but if it's good, user-friendly, secure, and has clients for phones I might actually tell people I know to use one. Why are you letting VC companies take this space?

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/16/22178026/microsoft-authenticator-autofill-feature-password-manager

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

Great. I keep running into an issue with svchost memory leak. I installed the windows update that was specifically FOR that issue, and nothing :\

Or rather, I keep "fixing" it, and keeps coming back. I stop as many of the services as I can related to svchost, and sometimes it's one of them, and sometimes, it's a service that cannot be stopped.
It is currently eating up 6 GB.

While I am here, is there a way of ....seeing further into the Firefox processes? Like, I have one that keeps pegging the CPU 15-25% and I would like to delve deeper into that, at least deeper than just killing that process every so often.

Firefox: go to about :performance.

About service. in resource monitor you can select the the service host in memory tab and see services it runs in cpu tab. Also since 1703 each service gets it's own servicehost.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

xzzy posted:

Windows Defender is a default block, correct?

I'm running WSL2 and getting X11 working, and am trying to make a rule that restricts the X11 ports to ONLY the WSL2 subnet. So I make a rule that specifies the port, and in the Scope tabe for 'remote ip address' I put the WSL2 subnet. However with this rule active the port is still accessible to the world. My expectation is that any address outside the specified subnet would get blocked.

I'm more of a linux person and while I kinda understand the difference in philosophy between iptables and the defender firewall, clearly I'm missing something.

You should investigate more, but as i understand due to WSL2 being a VM your Windows also is an VM so its firewall does nothing because it runs parallel to WSL2. Also don't connect your PC directly to internet.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

Does anyone use any type of download manager? I've downloaded a couple of large files over the last week or so and Chrome stops here and there, and fails on them. Are there any options that are a bit more robust?

I use Firefox and you just press resume if transfer fails.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

xzzy posted:

Syncthing might be worth a look, it's the open source take on these kinds of tools.

They recently added (in beta) untrusted device support https://docs.syncthing.net/users/untrusted.html

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

the better solution would be one of the many explorer replacements like total commander or whatever, most of which take having options for everything as a religious commandment. I'm sure one of them can display folders mixed with files in the alpha sorting.
TotalCommander can't. But the specialized software like Treesize can.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

SuperTeeJay posted:

Google Drive is the only third party software in the menu so bloat shouldn't be a problem.

Uninstall Google Drive restart and check.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Not if the file is sitting in a windows file share. If it’s in one drive or share point, yes.

A different (hidden and discontinued) feature works in a regular file share. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/about-the-shared-workbook-feature-49b833c0-873b-48d8-8bf2-c1c59a628534

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

I was blown away, not least because I didn't understand why Microsoft hadn't been marketing this feature everywhere they could.
Yeah, I wonder why they didn't market feature that doesn't require a subscription?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

I'm trying to use a Windows 10 guest VM running on a Windows 10 host via Hyper-V to play some older games that work best with full screen modes. I have the games installed on a D:\ drive on the host, which I've successfully shared with the guest. When I go to start one of the games (Solium Infernum, in case anyone is curious) it says it can't start because it can't create certain files it needs. I think it's trying to write to the D:\ drive, and I've validated that explorer.exe can add a sample foo.txt file successfully.

Any ideas of where to troubleshoot further?
Run as Administrator?