Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Full Circle posted:

A tip for those buying off of the microsoft site: When it asks for your zip code put in the zip code of a state with no sales tax like Delaware.

Would the same apply for items purchased from the Apple store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
I bought a $50 7 Home Premium upgrade on Amazon. It will arrive on the 22nd of October. Is there any way I can install 7 now and activate it when my disc and key arrive?

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
As I stated earlier in the thread, I bought a $50 copy of 7 Home Premium on Amazon.

I am also eligible for a $30 student deal. Are the student orders shipping out already?

I haven't been charged by Amazon yet. I have a few more weeks to cancel it.

Would it make sense to buy a student license and cancel my Amazon order?

edit: I canceled the Amazon order and purchased a $30 copy of 7 Professional through Digital River.

Jam2 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 7, 2009

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Rukes posted:

Definately good news for me, have Ultimate Upgrade ordered and was thinking of just upgrading my Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 and just waiting for my retail key to enter it.

I would also like to do this. Can someone with the resources please investigate this?

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Rukes posted:

I did find this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930373

So if you use a RTM ultimate and upgrade, it should be OK to use the upgrade retail key. Since we would fall under the opposite of Condition 2, I think Windows 7 makes note that it was an upgrade instead of a full, meaning only Upgrade keys work.

How can I acquire a legitimate RTM disk? I don't want a cracked copy.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
How do I edit the iso to install Professional without paying for a magiciso or ultraiso license?

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

ilkhan posted:

extract the files, delete the file, install via thumb drive.

Did this. Thanks for the tip.

Aero Snap doesn't work on my dual monitor setup the way I would like. I can only snap windows to the extreme right and extreme left of my workspace. Attempts to snap windows to the right side of monitor 1 and left side of monitor 2 fail.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Cojawfee posted:

What processor is it? 62C is pretty high for processors these days. My E8400 overclocked to 3.6GHZ idles at 38, and maxes out around 55 (though this is with a nice Zalman heatsink). My A64 6000+ at 3.2GHZ was getting about 55+ but I don't think I mounted the heatsink right on that one. At half speed, any processor should NOT be at 62C.

My processor operates between 60C-75C at 1332MHz. Dell XPS M1330 laptop, 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo. Under heavy load, it locks up and throttles down to 733MHz, rendering my laptop completely useless. Yay.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

incoherent posted:

You may have to man up and go in there and apply new thermal paste.

What's the recommended brand?

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Casao posted:

Use the Shortcut keys
Perfect

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

incoherent posted:

Arctic Silver, NT-H1, even MX-3 (this stuff is the thermal paste of the gods) I'd recommend Céramique because its non-conductive (if you get this on the logic board it will not kill it) and if this is your first time doing this you don't have to worry about getting messy. In fact for all first time builders I tell them to use this first till they get the hang of installation.

Just remember proper cleaning techniques (clean it off with high-purity isopropyl alcohol AKA the 90% rubbing alcohol).

I was checking out this kit. Should I just buy some rubbing alcohol instead?

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Cojawfee posted:

I say just buy some paper towels and 90% isopropyl alcohol, it definitely won't cost 15 dollars, and a tube of thermal paste should only cost five dollars for a tube bigger than that. That kit sounds like a ripoff.

Just take the heatsink off and use a dry paper towel to remove the bulk of any thermal paste or pads that might be on both, then wet a new paper towel with the alcohol to get any residual paste off. Since it is a dual core, just put a small bead of paste in the center and press the heatsink down level and evenly so the paste spreads out and reattach the fan and whatever holds the heatsink down.

Where can I get paste for five bucks no shipping?

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
1) Started with Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit. Ordered 7 Pro 64-bit upgrade, due Oct 22.

2) Copied Windows 7 files to USB drive. Forgot to delete ei.cfg.

3) Booted to flash drive. Installed 7 Ultimate. Oops.

4) Rather than restore Windows Vista from the Dell recovery partition, booted from flash, formatted over 7 Ultimate and installed 7 Professional.

How hosed am I when I get my key on October 22? I'm enjoying 7 so much. I really don't want to have to start over. Goddamnit.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Casao posted:

Yeah. Fun fact - jump list can be activated by tapping an icon and dragging up, designed to help reduce the need for right click on a touch screen.

loving awesome

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
I just got my first "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown." Where do I go to find more information about what happened? Is there an event log somewhere?

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Thermopyle posted:

Try typing "event log" into the Start Menu.

Use start menu search more, people! :arghfist:

I still have to get used to functional search in Windows. It's been broken for so long.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Well, guys. Two days til early-upgraders find out if we will get to go outside this weekend.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
For those who installed the RTM/retail in the past weeks with the hopes of being able to enter your key on release date:

It works!

1) Started with Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit. Ordered 7 Pro 64-bit upgrade.

2) Copied Windows 7 files to USB drive. Forgot to delete ei.cfg.

3) Booted to flash drive. Installed 7 Ultimate. Oops.

4) Rather than restore Windows Vista from the Dell recovery partition, booted from flash, formatted over 7 Ultimate and installed 7 Professional.

5) Received my key at 12:45am 22 October.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jam2 fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 22, 2009

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The student price deal is 30 bucks, I don't see professional at the rate..

I got Pro through that deal for $30.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Where can I download a copy of the full retail Windows 7 64-bit? Digital River is crappy.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Where can I download a copy of the RTM 64-bit? Digital River is raining on my parade.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Noxville posted:

I don't really think it's in anyone's interest to tell you where to download the full version of the new Microsoft OS that just came out today. The filename is in the OP, you can surely find it from that.

It's not illegal to obtain the file when you have a valid license for the computer on which you intend to install.

Xenomorph posted:

It's been on torrent sites for months.

I would prefer an official channel. I guess there isn't one.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Crackbone posted:

Considering it's trivial to verify it's a legit copy, why?

My brother doesn't know anything about checksums, hash and crc. Not everyone is a computer nerd.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Is there a Facebook notifier written for Windows 7 Dock yet?

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

madprocess posted:

I'm getting 3.9/4.4/2.1/3.3/5.4 and 7 still runs fine for me. :)

My 7 performance could be better. My graphics card can't handle OneNote pages with lots of scanned images nor Zune desktop software full screen on my external monitor. 1080p video skips frames and sticks occasionally. My CPU gets too hot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
I am purchasing a netbook for my 7 year old sister and will need to have good parental control so she doesn't lose her innocence on the internet. How does Windows 7 run on netbooks? How effective is the Parental Control in Windows 7?

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

jmu posted:

Looks like they are limited to controlling when a user account can be used (Only Sunday, between 4 and 6 pm, stuff like that). Blocking games by ESRB rating and blocking specific programs.

Lame.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
I've enabled "auto-hide" the taskbar, so it only appears when my cursor hits the edge of the screen. In Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, is there a way to modify the behavior of the task bar so that it only appears when I hit the Windows key? I do not want it to appear when I hit the edge of the screen.

In a sense, this would mimic the full-screen feel of iOS and other mobile devices by keeping my current app in full-screen focus unless I make a deliberate keystroke.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

MeKeV posted:

I haven't got round to running this myself yet, but I think it might be what you are after?

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/54842-taskbar-always-top-disable-enable.html

Looks shoddy and buggy, but I'll check it out. Thanks.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Cheesus posted:

IE9 final is now available for download:

http://www.beautyoftheweb.com/

Which version is recommended, 32 or 64?

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

smallmouth posted:

Downloading the 64 version gives you both. But the 64 bit version doesn't have flash, unless you want to install a lab version.

thanks. Will d/l 64; use 32.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Are there any deals for students that aren't upgrade versions? I need a clean install license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Space Gopher posted:

Well, if you're in a compsci-ish program, your school probably pays for MSDN AA access. Otherwise, just buy the $30 upgrade and drop it on top of an unactivated demo installation. It's technically against the license, but it works, and Microsoft doesn't give a poo poo as long as you buy some sort of key.

I'm in a Comp Sci program. I'll have to look into that.