Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
I downloaded the recent Divx Tech Preview: MKV on Windows 7, but I don't get any audio with the video playback. Do I need to install an AC3Filter/audio codec?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Krieger von Rosen posted:

Here's an interesting question:
I'm not in college; I'm a senior in high school. However, the high school I attend assigns each of its students a .edu email address on the school's domain. Would I be able to use this to become eligible for Windows 7 at the reduced student price or are there more prerequisites that I'm not aware of?
I'm sure you'll be fine. I've been out of college for 5 years, but still have my .edu e-mail address and it worked fine. I was never asked for any other info other than credit card/shipping details.

4 Day Weekend posted:

Yeah, the tech preview doesn't seem to give sound. I use sharks codec pack , works pretty well.
Thanks, thought it was just me.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

brc64 posted:

If I remember correctly, I tried, but it still never worked quite right. Like it might work in one app, but not in another (or not in Explorer, I can't remember exactly). Anyway, it drove me batty enough to just go back to regular old SetPoint instead.
I had this problem too. You have to change the forward/back buttons to Other: Generic Button and it'll work as standard mouse4/5 buttons (e.g. forward/back in browsers, restores functionality for mouse4/5 in games, applications, etc). I hated SetPoint/UberOptions/Logitech mice in general until I found this out.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Capnbigboobies posted:

I was going to do that website first. But it says its an upgrade. I didn't want to risk ending up with a lovely upgrade key. Calling MS directly will get you a retail disk for a FULL install disk/key. You have to pay local tax. Its cheaper too than that win741 if you want a disk shipped to you. They want 13 dollars extra. MS charges 5 dollars to ship you one.
I had no idea that you could purchase a full version at the .edu price. Did you just call them and tell them you'd like the student price for the full version?

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
Awesome, thanks.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Some of the newer ones I had plopped into my wallpapers folder weren't, so I selected everything again, even made a new theme file and also lowered the time between changes to 12 hours. Maybe that will shake something loose.
Why not first try it at the lowest duration to see if it actually works?

Edit- Also try right clicking on your desktop and clicking Next Background to see if that works.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
You can't join a domain with Home Premium.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I was under the impression that Vista/7 was safer in that the administrator account was rarely used, and daily use worked well with a regular user account. Straight out of the box from Dell, Windows has you create your first account, which is seemingly just your normal account, but it happens to be the Administrator. Should I create them a normal user account and not have them use the admin account? This won't cause any great pain for them, I hope? Is this what you are supposed to do?
It's generally safer to go this route, but they'll need admin credentials to run certain things. Basically, if anything requires admin privs, Windows will ask for the credentials.

quote:

The Dell computer also came loaded with Windows Live and McAfee antivirus. I removed McAfee and have installed Microsoft Security Essentials. It seems a little less obtrusive. Is this reasonable? For computer illiterate people, they have never once had a virus/spyware on the same 10 year old install of XP, as they barely get past gmail or flickr.
Very reasonable. One of the benefits of MSE is it's transparency. Plus MSE won't destroy your computer like McAfee.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
There's a ton of RDP applications; TeamViewer, LogMeIn, etc. Check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software

Also, if you have a .edu e-mail address, you can get a copy of Win 7 Pro Upgrade for $64.99: http://www.win741.com/

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
Digsby or Pidgin. Meebo if you want a browser-based one.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

tzirean posted:

I've tried Digsby and Pidgin in the past, and didn't make it half an hour before uninstalling them.
What exactly didn't you like? I like them because the UI is minimal and Digsby allows you to merge contacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
Not much else changed about it though. You'll probably still hate it.

Edit- If you do use it, remember to disable the Research Module under Preferences > Research Module.