Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I know this was a while back in thread, but is the creator of the very stylish HUD time gadget still around? I wanted to be a bit cheeky and see if I could request a 24 hour mode or if anyone knows how to edit the file to get that result?

Cheers if anyone can help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone know of an application that can take pictures from built in webcam? Doesn't need any crazy effects or features but a timer would be nice (if it waits 3 seconds before taking the actual picture).

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

baka kaba posted:

^^^ What kind of webcam? Most come with some kind of software along these lines

Er its just one built into the laptop , I think it's an Acer (its for someone else). Do you think if I download some logitech software it will work just the same?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Really small question but does anyone know a non-spywareriffic wallpaper website? I figure new laptop should get some love and care. If there's a non-archived thread somewhere, even better!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

baka kaba posted:

You probbbbably got some bloatware with the laptop, but if you don't have that installed (you might need the driver too) you could try something like this:
http://lifehacker.com/5806458/chronolapse-creates-time-lapse-videos-using-your-screen-or-webcam
Probably more than you need, maybe some of it will help with what you want to do though. There are some online things too like these and DailyBooth

Thanks very much - that was helpful. The problem was the usual crappy app wasn't there!

While I'm here, I've just moved to Windows 7 from my old MacBook which I had for years and there are two features I'm trying to replicate, Spaces and Hot corners.

I've found numerous pieces of software that can replicate each one but not that work together. So if anyone has experience with HotCorners, Dexpot, Macomforter, DeskSpace I'd appreciate it if you could help me out.

What I want to happen is to flick my cursor into a corner and then it opens a 'full view' of all the desktops.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 14, 2011

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

mistermojo posted:

http://wallbase.cc/start/

Space Gopher posted:

Interfacelift.

Thanks guy's very helpful.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone have a reccomendation for a good looking desktop RSS feed reader? I've looked at lots like FeedDemon but they all seem to advertise their simplicity and basicness.

I want eye candy!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone know how to make the windows volume move up and down in larger increments when I use the keyboard shortcuts?

It takes a long time right now to go up or down a significant amount.

I also use my numpad quite a lot, is it possible to set it so that the numlock is on by default whenever you turn the computer on?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is it possible to move the 'fn' keys? For example on my acer laptop the volume and brightness are on the arrow keys I would like to move them on to F1, F2 and F9, F10 (they currently have no fn function).

Then I could find some way to enable the fn button by default! It would make my life easier because I use the brightness, volume and arrow keys a lot but never the F keys.

I already use a handy script that Flipperwaldt kindly wrote for me in the custom apps thread. It detects whether media is playing and enables the media keys without the Fn buttons, I just need a little more help adjusting this laptops crappy keyboard layout!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can anyone recommend some software to add metadata to mp4's?

Specifically something that can automatically download information from imdb and it to the file. I found Metax which I'll pay for if I have to, but it seems like something simple enough that there will be a free solution out there.

Thanks!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

Another thing MediaMonkey may be worth a shot for.

Hey it seems to work- thanks! I was hoping though that once I did this that information would show up in other media players that the files were added to.

For example if I embed the metadata in a dozen files then if someone opens them up in Zune player it would be neatly organized in the correct genre with a description for them.

This however doesn't seem to be happening. Do you have any clue how to make something like that work, with any easy to use media player?

Also I think I owe you a favour - you always seem to answer my computer questions!

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 22, 2012

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

It should, in principle, be possible with any player that reads MP4 tags. It's just a matter of getting MediaMonkey to not only save the changes to its database, but also to the tags in the files themselves.

I haven't got great many MP4 files to test on, but could you check in MediaMonkey whether Tools > Options > Library > Tags & Playlists > Update tags when editing properties is enabled and whether that makes a difference? It seems to be disabled by default, which is prudent and delightfully non-intrusive for a media manager, but not helpful in this case.

You should also be able to force database/tag synchronisation manually through Tools > Advanced Tag Management > Synchronize Tags (CTRL+S)

I managed that and it worked for about half the files but for some reason refused to add the genre tags to about half the files, so I added them manually through mp3 tagger (ridiculously slow piece of software btw). And it seems to work great!

All I need now is to figure out what tag marks a file as a 'movie' rather than 'other' or unknown and it will be perfect plug n play.

Well for the other person, its been a lot of hassle for me!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone have any tips on using foreign characters on a UK/USA keyboard? I find alt codes hard to remember and inefficient.

Would it be possible to use autohotkey for something like this

alt+a = å and shift+alt+a = Å

alt+o = ø and shift+alt+o = Ø

alt+'= æ and shift+alt+' = Æ

It would make typing in Danish much easier for me. Other suggestions I've had are to use a hotkey to switch between keyboard layouts in which case å is where [ is, æ is where ; is, and ø is where ' is but that seems like it could get confusing at best.

Seems like this might be a problem many people have had so there must be a solution somewhere?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Actually I think there was some security issue with gadgets a while back, that's why they removed the gadget gallery. I think they also released a tool to remove the capability for gadgets at all.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I'm using outlook 2010 on windows 7 to connect with Google Apps and my university email and I was wondering if this is expected behaviour.

No email shows up under Sent Items in the Favourite sections, I have save sent items to Outlook ticked under account settings. Is 'sent items' supposed to show all email I've sent or not?

I would assume so but since outlook doesn't seem to have a unified inbox maybe it means something different then I expect.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

GreenNight posted:

If you're in college, you could probably get Visio or Project for super cheap. Otherwise get the 60-day trial of Visio here:

http://visio.microsoft.com/en-us/TryBuy/TryVisio2010forFree/Pages/Try_Visio_2010_for_Free.aspx

This is a bit of a licensing question. I have Office 2010 installed on my laptop however when I installed it I had the option to choose which applications to install and I didn't need Visio so I left it out.

If I was to use that link to download and install it would it automatically detect the license key and work? Or would I need to find that key, or even further would that key no longer work because I've already used it but on different products.

As I recall when I installed it the first time there was a massive iso which you ran and chose what programmes you wanted and only had to enter the licence key once for all of them.

\/\/\/\/ Looking where you said showed me it was a Visio viewer I recalled not the programme itself. Thanks for the help.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 21, 2012

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

I know that 99,9& of those links are probably useless junk but since there are some I don't want to get rid of I haven't just deleted them all. By organizing I meant mostly deleting but I have zero motivation dealing with the issue with Firefox's Bookmark Manager.

There's probably some sort of script you can run to auto delete dead links, should at least clear out some of them.

But more rationally if you haven't used them by now will you ever?

And I found rainmeter to be a resource hog.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So it's been suggested to me that backing up my computer is a good thing.

Right now I just have all my files in Dropbox, which is the most important thing for me but I want a backup that if I install Windows 8 and want to go back I can do that. I think it should work like a system restore disk but with all my programmes and current settings installed on it.

It would also be nice if the image can be updated incrementally so it doesn't take a long time to backup each time.

So can I buy a external harddrive and do this? Will I need some special software or is there something built into windows?

\/\/\/\/\/\ Thanks, yeah it is windows 7. Now I just have to buy an external hard drive big enough!

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 26, 2012

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is it possible to install a script on Chrome any more? I mean one that's not from the Google chrome store, it used to work with drag and drop but now it just says you cannot install scripts or extensions from outside the store.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

m2pt5 posted:

Win+Space makes all active windows transparent, letting you see everything on the desktop (including gadgets) until you release Win.

Not on Windows 8 - it gives you a keyboard switcher.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Solly posted:

Well maybe but wouldn't I loose a lot of compatibility, also I quite like being able to navigate a computer with a mouse instead of having to touch things.

There are pretty much no compatibility issues and its perfectly fine to use a mouse with. It's basically windows 7 + a fancy start screen- which I like :-)

Win 7 is great but if you're just looking for a change I recommend trying 8.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I want to upload some sound files to memrise, a language learning webpage. They recommend using audacity and an mp3 exporter plugin which I've looked at, but it seems a little complex.

What I'd like to do is read a list of words and then be able to split the recoding into the individual words and export them as MP3s.

Can anyone recommend some user friendly software?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
How do you identify what's causing random freezes on Windows? On windows 8 I'm getting random complete freezes even when the only program open is Firefox. I'm unable to do anything apart from hold down the power button and reboot.

Is there some sort of log I can access that will give me information?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

WorkingStiff posted:

At the Start screen type "event". When the Search bar comes up select the "Settings" section and then select the "View Event Logs" icon.

9 times out of 10 hangs are caused by incompatible drivers or sometimes overheating.

Thanks, I found it!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
When the hell are MS going to update the Hotmail calendar to an outlook/metro style one? I want to try using MS stuff instead of Google's but seeing the old hotmail interface makes me feel so... dirty.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I want to start using the save and send option in Word 2010. But I want it to use the Windows 8 metro App, when it wants to use Outlook 2010. I've had a look in default settings but it doesn't seem to affect word.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
A question related to my earlier difficulties. If I use the Reset option on windows 8 I think it should blow away everything and start with basic windows right?

If so I have a copy of Office 2010 professional plus that I got free from working at a university. I no longer work there but I still have the license key, will that key work if I download Office 2010 from here?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/microsoft-office-2010-backup-FX101853122.aspx

EDIT: OK I entered my serial number into that website and it said that I was not eligible to download that item, which sucks. Is there any way to get hold of the right download? I just want to reinstall windows and keep my Office installation.

EDIT 2: I found the link below which claims to be pro plus, is there anyway to test my CD key works on it?

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 16, 2013

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I want to install Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator http://msdn.microsoft.co m/en-GB/goglobal/bb964665.aspx but when I try to install it says I need .Net 2.0 while I have 4.0. Does anyone have a link to the older version?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Grawl posted:

Is it that hard to Google for it? Just Google ".net 2 runtime" and you'll find it.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1639

Sorry. I don't actually know what a runtime is,it just kept giving me stuff about visual studio when I looked on Microsoft's website. And I think I may have seen that but got confused because it only says it works on Windows XP, and Server 2003.

Thanks though!

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 20, 2013

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Boz0r posted:

B) Sometimes my computer just freezes and I can't even press the restart button. I have to hold the power down till it turns off and start it again.

There's some sort of driver issue thats going around for Nvidia graphics cards. Apparently rolling back to the default Windows drivers fixes it, although that probably impacts gaming performance.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Sinking Ship posted:

I see. I guess I'll go ahead and try for a chargeback then.

Should probably take this to one of the finance threads, but I've heard that in the USA doing this can have consequences for you as well.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can anyone recommend some software to take pictures with a built in webcam? The only requirements are that it has a delay feature and doesn't come with a bunch of ad-ware like on softonic or Cnet. I need to be able to give someone a link and they can install it.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Grawl posted:

That's the one I was after, thanks.

The default software should be able to do this. What brand is it?

Its an Acer but after a reinstall that software is no longer there. As I recall it was pretty crappy anyway, so I thought there might be something else well known out there.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I was looking for resotre points, but I've just found the new recovery option which seems to do the same thing.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
If I wanted to use an iPod without interacting with iTunes in anyway is that possible? Is there some way of installing a driver then just dragging and dropping music through the file system?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Kalenden posted:

I'm buying a Windows 8 laptop soon and I was wondering if you guys could recommend any useful websites that has lists, guides, reviews for (Windows 8) software and configurations.

Basically, something trustworthy and not adware infected swamps like cnet.

There's a thread somewhere on the forums. There's also https://ninite.com/ which is great for installing and updating apps.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

I've tried Googling, but I'm not sure where to look exactly.

I have to setup a program that is exactly the same on 8-10 computers.

Is there a good program that will let one mouse control the cursor on multiple networked computers? I've seen stuff like multiboxing, but it looks mostly aimed at gaming.

I am I guess looking for a recommendation on a product to use.

Is it a rare one? Otherwise you could check if its on Ninite.com.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone have experience with a multilingual MS Office set up? I want to switch between a Danish and English interface but it tells me that I can either buy a language pack (wtf) or install office in Danish using my 365 account.

Does that mean every time I want to switch languages I have to reinstall office?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

orange sky posted:

Is there a general Office questions thread? If you can point me in that direction I'll post it there:

No but it's a good idea. Have you tried inserting a contents page and then using headings? It should update automatically then, you may need to save to get it to refresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there anyway of having your display language set to one thing (Danish) but your spellcheck set to another in Metro apps? It's possible for desktop office.