Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rhuagh
Apr 27, 2008

Xanin posted:

Speaking of which, is it possible to wipe an entire drive (all 4 partitions in this case) when installing W7? I know you can do it with XP but not sure with W7.

Yep, you've got to boot from the dvd to install. Choose custom and when it asks you what partition to install it on click drive options. It lets you delete/format/create partitions in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhuagh
Apr 27, 2008

Nam Taf posted:

You're not. Aero would make that window transparent. Right click on desktop and in the options in there, you'll find an option to enable aero somewhere. Buggered if I can remember it off the top of my head, though.

All I have to do to enable Aero after install is right click desktop -> Personalize and then choose one of the themes in the section "Aero Themes", after installing drivers for my video card that is.

When it installs it defaults to "Windows 7 Basic" which is in the "Basic and High Contrast Section" of the Themes.

rhuagh
Apr 27, 2008
I'm having an issue with my task manager.

Yesterday I reinstalled Win7 hopefully for the last time since I finally got my key, installed drivers, programs and it was only after I'd been using it for a while that I went to open the task manager.

It opens fine, but whenever I hit "Show processes from all users" or "Resource Monitor" a UAC prompt comes up as expected, hit OK and then a cmd prompt flashes and it and the task manager window just close.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there anything to do about it?

Another question for everyone: when you hit the "Show processes from all users" in the task manager is the UAC prompt from the Windows Command Processor? Probably a dumb question but I just want to check.

Edit: Turns out it had something to do with adding the Take Ownership keys to the registry. Restored the registry and now the task manager seems to be working fine again.

Weird. It also now never pops up UAC prompts.

rhuagh fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 18, 2009

rhuagh
Apr 27, 2008

cannibustacap posted:

Arg..

How do I make sure mouse movement won't wake my Windows 7 from sleep?

I don't want an accidental rocking to wake the thing up or anything. I'd rather wake the computer up by pressing Cntl-Alt-Del or just the power button.

It happens on both sleep, hibernate, and hybrid sleep mode.

Go into device manager, open the properties for the mouse and there should be a power management tab with a check box saying "Allow this device to wake the computer".

Had to figure this one out for my HTPC, I'd walk past the coffee table and TV would turn on. But if that's not it, I don't know.