Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions
Has anyone found a way to disable the Flash upgrade prompt for 10.2 and up via GPO? Creating the settings config file doesn't seem to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions
I'm trying to work out a way to get users to stop using links on their desktop to shared folders on the file server. What do you guys do?

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

GreenNight posted:

What do you mean? Are users emailing each other shortcut files?

When users got a new folder created the help desk would add a shortcut to the location to a folder called "shortcuts." The shortcut to which was located on the desktop. So they clicked on a desktop shortcut called shortcuts which had shortcuts to all the shared folders on the file server.

:downs:

I am trying to stop the insanity. But I'm not sure of an easy way to train users on how to access a share without using shortcuts to shortcuts.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

GreenNight posted:

That's crazy. You might have to do it slowly. Like remove all shortcuts and replace them with shortcuts to drive letters.

Whatever way you choose, it's going to cause political bullshit.

Thankfully it's coming down from on high to get rid of them. But I don't really know how to get rid of them without 10000000000000000000 years of user training.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Well how do you want them to access these folders?

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. The suggestion, from a very savvy user was to show them how to browse a share via UNC. So \\fileserver\sharelist

I'm actually thinking of maybe deploying shortcuts in ie via GPO, which launches explorer.exe anyway but just to the file server.

So I'm kind of curious as to how other people have their users access shared folders.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

LooseChanj posted:

Back in the old days we had these "mapped drive" things.

I have a pretty low opinion of them to be honest. But both scenarios it seems rock and hard place. I'm not sure which is lesser of the two evils. We also have a bunch of external sites that are on crap for connection speed. So I don't know how that would impact login time/GPO processing.

Go go T1.

I am thinking being able to access it from their IE favorites may not be a bad thing. They know how to do that. But I don't know if that's just me imagining things.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Honestly (maybe it's just me) the way you have it setup now doesn't seem too bad, as I understand it. Every user has a folder shortcut on their desktop, that opens to a centrally-managed directory of folder links they might need to use?

I guess it depends on how restricted their access is meant to be, if they have this bunch of shortcuts but really they need to know how to browse through all available shared directories then it would make sense to show them how to get around and how things are organised (although shortcuts still make sense!). I don't think there's really a need to resort to have them typing in obscure strings of characters to reach a share (from their perspective), why not just map them some drives?

We have some really confidential information but having the shortcut to shortcuts with the folders listed shouldn't really be a big difference from browsing the UNC.

The mapped drive thing makes me suck through my teeth a little bit. I haven't had great experiences with them in the past with remote sites. But I am leaning that way.

SmellsOfFriendship fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 10, 2011

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

I'm hoping someone with some Access knowledge can help.

I'm transitioning users from 2003 FS to 2008 FS.

I moved an Access DB over to the 2008 server today. It works ok until the 3-4th user tries to go into it.

User1 - fine
User2 - fine
User3 - fine
User4 - DB opens as Read Only and gets the error "Error updating (name of table) table" "Operation must use an updateable query."

I wish we could trash this thing but it's provided to us by an outside agency. Any thoughts?

So far I've:
checked the permissions
checked for lock files
tried as several users
tried with different versions of Access
left it for 30 minutes or so, same thing

Edit: I think I got it pinned down. It's something about Server 2008 file permissions. Not a clue what though.

SmellsOfFriendship fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 23, 2011

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

I'm getting this error whenever I try to open up the file explorer from the taskbar

It then does not let me open the window. Needless to say I'm a bit scared, not being able to open the explorer is a fairly significant windows glitch. What the hell is going on.
Shot in the dark but that looks like the result of some kind of malware/trojan.

Try and do a repair.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

I'm looking for something to create reports out of server log files. Specifically HIPAA (I can't remember if I asked this here or not.)

I'm using ManageEngine now but it's way too flaky and won't load archive files larger than 20MB. Bit of a problem.

Anyone know of anything similar?

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

I'm having the weirdest drat problem. I get an Access Denied message when I try and restore a folder for a user from a file server.

Here are the specs:

Server: 2008 r2
Client: Windows 7 premium
Folder: Redirected My Documents through group policy (controlled by GPO)
Impact: One user

Here's the problem:
User's documents vanish (this is a different issue I'm trying to fix.) I go to restore them using VSS and get an access denied message. Apparently I don't have permission? This is for all snapshots and only for this one user.

What I've tried:
Restoring the folder to the previous date
Copying the folder to another directory
Viewing the files

Successful:
Different users same site different OS
Different users same site same OS
Different users different site
Different users different site different OS (no Windows 7 machines at external sites.)

I'm at a total loss. At this point I'm pretty sure it isn't fixable. But I'd be interested to see what I can do in the future.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Hi all,

I'm having the weirdest problem. I'm hoping someone has seen it before.

Each day at some point (I've not been able to pin down yet) the permissions on our user folder directory are completely stripped.

We're using My Docs redirection via GPOs. Each workstation re-directs to:

\\server\userfolders\%username%

I don't even mean changed, or that someone takes ownership, I mean gone. The message is:

quote:

"No permissions have been assigned for this object."

I've turned on file and folder auditing, seen the usual error messages you'd guess when there are no permissions on the damned server.

This is only happening on the UserFolders directory.

I'm working on it but I thought I'd post on the off chance someone had seen it before. Currently identifying nightly processes.

Any thoughts?

Edit: The backups are running successfully.

SmellsOfFriendship fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 18, 2011

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

I need some help reverse engineering a program install. We're forced to use a state Access database in some kind of crazy wrapper that puts little .dlls and builds tables.

The problem? The state cut funding for it and we don't have the software to replace it in case of emergency. Any recommendations? We've p2v'd the machine hosting the db and are backing up that but it isn't ideal.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

VisAbsoluta posted:

Thanks, guys! Worked like a charm.

Watch out for clearing the .dat files. Synctoy leaves them everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

mindphlux posted:

I have a friend who lives far away. She is getting a new computer, and wants to donate her old machine. She is concerned about the safety of her personal data though, she has credit card numbers and financial data on her computer.

What is a idiot-proof tool I could recommend to her to wipe her harddrive? I want something automatic like DBAN, and I could just mail her a CD with DBAN installed, but I'd worry about like, her BIOS not being set to boot from CD, et cetera - so even that's not idiot proof enough.

I'm hoping for a freeware tool that will run from windows, and prompt you like 'do you want to completely gently caress your own computer', and then will write to the MBR, and then reboot the computer and run some program to wipe all physical disks. or something.

Drill holes in the platters.