Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Stuntman Mike posted:

Really? You'd do that? What are your reasons?

Yes. Yes you are. :v:

I'm also curious as to why you would do this, other then to test the process itself.Do you have hardware that just wouldn't work under 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frabba
May 30, 2008

nrr posted:

Any tips for someone building a new machine? Should I buy an upgradable copy of Vista, or would it be fine to skip Vista completely, just install the RC and then buy Win7 when it's released?

Buy vista and get a free Win7 Upgrade?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116677

*edit* This will allow you to do an in-place upgrade without performing any hackery. The RC is Windows 7 Ultimate and unless you are getting ultimate when 7 comes out, you cannot do an in-place upgrade, you need to do a clean installation.

Frabba fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 3, 2009

Frabba
May 30, 2008

nrr posted:

Ok thanks, I was seeing if I could put that $100 into something else for the time being, and as an added bonus never have to deal with vista.

You can still download and run the RC in the meantime, but this would appear to be the most cost efficient method of getting Windows 7 unless that pre-order deal is still going on somewhere (is it?).

Frabba v 2.3.77
Bugs Fixed
- Now reads the OP

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Waiting on my friend to burn the ISOs for me today, then I get to spend my evening performing in-place upgrades, huzzah! Trip reports will be incoming for In-place upgrades from the RC, and from Vista.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

frabba posted:

Waiting on my friend to burn the ISOs for me today, then I get to spend my evening performing in-place upgrades, huzzah! Trip reports will be incoming for In-place upgrades from the RC, and from Vista.

Trip report 1: Even though I'm running the Windows 7 RCx64, and I am trying to update to Windows 7 Ultimate RTM, The installer is not letting me proceed. welp.

*edit* Heh, could've sworn that I read somewhere that this should've been possible, but just re-read the updated OP. At least I can do the in-place upgrade on my vista machine :unsmith:

Frabba fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 7, 2009

Frabba
May 30, 2008

I've completed the vista upgrade as well. Some minor problems with app compatibility that the installer and the upgrade advisor did not catch. Also, my games section has a whole mess of garbage icons in it, as you can see in the image below. All in all it went smoothly though, and I'm laughing at how my idle RAM usage appears to have dropped by 25% or so.

Click here for the full 1480x410 image.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

dumby posted:

I'm dealing with some internet connection problems, and think it has something to do with my current profile being set to Public, and not Home or Work under Network Sharing Center > Advanced sharing settings. Not looking for tech support, but I can't for the life of me find where to switch the current profile to Home or Work. Has anyone done this?

Open the network and sharing center, under view your active networks there will be a link that says public network. Click that link and you will be prompted with the "Select a location" dialogue.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

El_Ergo posted:

I have the same problem on a Vista 64 machine with Office 2007. Crashes when opening, clicking, saving, and closing, at seemingly random times. Sometimes I can go a coulpe weeks without a problem. I tried reinstalling Office, updating everything os and software-wise, disabling hardware, and I never could find a cause. I just started doing all my word/excel stuff on my netbook instead. If you fix it drop me a note, I'd love to know.

I've also had some odd Office crashes, I'm currently running RTM. Luckily all I really use is oneNote so it's pretty drat hard for me to actually lose any data.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

The configuring Windows 7 Book says that a 40GB HDD with at least 15GB of available space is the minimum req v0v.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Xenomorph posted:

There are many, many work arounds. Stop blaming the OS for lovely programming.

One work-around is don't install games (especially old-rear end games that were made before Microsoft believed in security) to "\Program Files". Install them to something crazy like "\Games". The "\Games" folder can simply have the full read/write permission for "Everyone", and there will never been a file access issue.

This is a fantastic idea, why have I been running Vista + 7 for years and never done this?