Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Okay this is a stupid question I'm sure but I'm so confused.

I downloaded PatchMyPC last night, ran it and it looks good. I deleted the file from my downloads folder... and it disappeared. Couldn't search for it in the start bar. Okay... So I re-download it, it still has my scheduled updates set. So I moved it into its own folder in the Program Files(86) folder so it wouldn't just chill in my downloads folder... Then couldn't search for it again.

Am I going crazy? I thought most apps would install files into the Program Files folder(s) instead of just.. directly downloading the application itself into your downloads folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

GreenNight posted:

No. Patchmypc.exe is just 1 single file. It's not an installable program. Just run it whenever you want to check for updates.

Awesome, thanks! I figure it being setup overnight every few days is solid enough.

And to think, I thought I knew about computers :negative:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is it worth it to get pay for the premium versions of either MalwareBytes or BitDefender? Other than the fact that it'd prevent MB from popping up annoying ads on my task bar...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Klyith posted:

No. Windows Defender is as good a virus & malware protection as you should normally need.

The Lord Bude posted:

Third party antivirus is snake oil at best and actively harmful to your security at worst, you shouldn't be using any version of that software. Modern Windows has all the security it needs built right in. Keep your OS and software up to date; and have a good quality ad blocker installed.

:fry:

Didn't know that at all, thanks! Gonna uninstall it now.