Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008
Okay, I've been having a rather strange problem ever since I installed the RC.
Whenever I click All Programs, I just get a blank start menu.

The other reports of this say the problem is something to do with the number of items to the right, but that's had no effect.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

phosdex posted:

Is there anything in your start menu folders? Right-click All Programs and choose Open, do it again and choose Open All Users.

Yes, sorry completely forgot to mention that. It's all there in:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and the local one too.

I also removed one of those directories to see if that would do anything.
It didn't.

Edit:

kapinga posted:

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to run into that here. It's supposedly related to the number of items in the All Programs folders. My roommate suffers from this bug, but I do not, even though I have 84 odd entries.

Take a look at this discussion on the Windows 7 forums http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/4354-program-icons-missing-all-programs-menu.html
Took a look at that thread, moved everything from both programs folders out into two folders and logged out then in. Moved them back and they're there. And yes, I upgraded from 7000 to 7100 which seems to be the cause. If this was the only bug then it was worth it.

Second Edit:
It fucks up on reboot and can fix itself. I've sort of hosed it up worse now. I've learnt my lesson and do a proper reinstall when it goes live on Ultimate Steal. (Which is basically Microsofts new, less legitimate sounding version of a student licence.)

All Too Much For Me fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 27, 2009

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

Does anyone ever lose the taskbar when the computer wakes up? The only way for me to bring it back it seems, is to restart, but it's pain in the rear end so I spend a ton of time just win+tabbing my way through life.

Yes, I had that problem for a while.
Do you have a screensaver enabled? When I disabled mine, that problem went away by itself.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

CitizenKain posted:

I switched to Win7 this weekend, and so far everything works but Fallout 3. I get as far as the first splash screen when it loads, and then nothing. None of the compatibility modes work for it either. I still need some more time messing around with it to see if I can narrow things down, but its not looking good.

Try disabling Anti-Aliasing, it causes fallout to do funky poo poo.

On an off note: GNR is stuttering really bad for me under 7100, which it didn't on 7000.
:(

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

Corte posted:

Anyone else had issues getting Fallout 3 to run with the most recent build of Windows 7 RC?

I had some issues with 7000, but I sorted those out by launching it through steam and disabling anti-aliasing. However in 7100, the music in GNR stutters really badly, which can make it almost unplayable.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Do you have an audigy card? I managed to largely fix that by routing the audio through the Alchemy layer and doing some minor fiddling with those settings.

Nope, just a crappy HDaudio chipset.
I might pick up an actual soundcard eventually though.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

Alystair posted:

Random tip: Pressing shift while right-clicking an application in the taskbar brings up the old restore/move/minimize/close/etc menu. Handy because the "move" option is absent from the new one.

Thanks,
I've not used that menu for ages though, because when I was using linux I got so used to the hold alt and drag to move windows shortcut that I installed http://taekwindow.sourceforge.net/ when I started using 7.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

Chikimiki posted:

Just installed Windows 7 and it seems to run nicely, though I really need to get used to that glossy interface.. I'm so used to the old grey look.

But still I was wondering why it won't give me the rights to change stuff on my external HDD (like renaming folders) although this works fine under any Vista Computer.

Also, does anyone know a good office suite? Wordpad doesn't open 'dem .doc files correctly, Openoffice won't even install (tried 3.0.1) and the MS Office is a trial version... Thankies!

Have you tried AbiWord?
It's not a full office suite, but it's very fast and less bloaty than OpenOffice.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

Xenomorph posted:

What's TextMate?

An OSX text editor that'll run you €50 or so.
It's a bit like Vim really.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008
Couldn't you schedule a task every few days to run taskkill /f /im eeectl.exe , or something to that nature?

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

change my name posted:

Nah it's dedicated, the Nvidia 8600m 512mb

I've got the desktop 8600, and it's got no qualms with using the RAM to double its memory. So it may well be doing that anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008
I'm getting a new laptop soon, and I'll be doing the Windows 7 upgrade that's free but actually costs £20, a full £10 off the student edition they're selling.

I was just wondering whether I could just install 7100 and then upgrade to RTM when I get the upgrade disk in the post, or whether I can install RTM and then give that the key when I get it. (Not using MSDNAA, as I'm not going to be reading CompSci.)