Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Anyone else had SP1 mess up their USB2 drivers, and kick everything down to usb1.1? Noticed a copy to a flash stick was a bit slow, and it turns out there's some sort of known issue with a mislabelled driver, or something. Fixed by deleting the USB controllers from device manager to force driver installation again, swearing and un/re plugging my (USB) keyboard/mouse, so they're recognised. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

maltesh posted:

The $30 Windows 7 Professional deal for Students is back.

http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/software/windows/default.aspx

Upgrade Edition as before, and as before you can clean install from an upgrade version. I think the instructions for doing so are still in the OP.

Will this work with British/European copies of windows?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

What is a good Windows program that will burn a bunch of .VOB files to a DVD so that an old man can just put the disc in a DVD player and it works? Doesn't even have to have menus, just play the .VOB files (maybe three or four per disc).

I thought there used to be a thread for general software recommendations but I'm not seeing it.

You should just be able to shove the .vobs (as long as they fit) into appropriately named folders on the disc, and burn it. Guide for doing that with cdburnerxp here.
If that doesn't work, you might have to mess around with something like DVD Flick or Avi2DVD.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Mak0rz posted:

No kidding. I just gave it a try and it's absolute poo poo. I'll check those threads out, thanks!

How about Media Player Classic? Pan + zoom, frameskip in either direction, shaders and so forth.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Mak0rz posted:

This is very, very close to being exactly what I need. MPC struggles (and sometimes crashes) to step frames back. Any idea how I can increase performance for that? Why would VirtualDub be any more efficient at this? MPC also can't seem to report times any more accurately than whole seconds. VirtualDub goes down to 0.001 seconds in its times.

It might be worth having a chat with the folks over at doom9 about the timing thing, there's a dev thread for MPC over there.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I've just had a flash stick go pop on me, so now that I'm loading up the replacement, what essentials are everyone sticking on theirs nowadays?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

dox posted:

good question. whats the best way to run an OS off the stick? or do you all just put portable apps on them? gonna be on the go a lot for the remainder of the year so would be useful to have a nicely setup flash drive to attach to my wallet/keychain

Ah, now that one I can do.
I've used the Universal USB Installer to install the contents of the Ophcrack liveCD onto the stick. I've added the XP rainbow tables, too.
Adding portable apps and the like to the stick shouldn't affect it having an os on it at all, and as long as you don't click the 'format' option, you can install on a stick that's got stuff on it without issue, too.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Is there any way to increase the amount of memory used for caching in SuperFetch? I've found myself with 12GB of RAM and Windows is only caching about 2GB, which is leaving me with something like 6-7GB free at any given time.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/SuperFetch-Enhanced-Prefetch-64346.shtml

If superfetch is only using 2 gigs, then that's all your usage patterns need.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

cmykjester posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but what is a good way to change FLAC music files into mp3, I downloaded a soundtrack in the wrong codec and need to change it to fit on my cell phone. Thanks for the help.

fre:ac?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I know there's various joke programs for changing the way that the mouse behaves (greasymouse etc), and windows can change the length of time allowed, but is there anything to change how forgiving the mouse is for double-clicking in terms of movement?
I teach basic IT skills, and about half of my students are retirees with sundry strength/flexibility issues in their wrists/fingers, and they can't immobilise a mouse while clicking with the palm/heel of the hand/other fingers like a younger person can, and it would make things significantly easier for them if there was a way to make double-click function within a given radius.
There does appear to be a tiny bit of give (~5 pixels, perhaps), but if it could be bumped up to about 10/15 pixels or so...

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 16, 2011

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

agentq posted:

I need a simple (preferably free) program to make DVDs out of .mov files.

Ive got 13 .mov files from my digital camera that I'd like to put on a dvd with a menu. Basically each video will be its own chapter. Also, something with the ability to clean up and adjust color on the videos would be great too.

Give DVD flick a bash.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I guess maybe I could do this on Word?

Word can do that.

Editboxes are hidden in the bloody developer bit of the ribbon.

then:

File | Protect Document | Restrict Editing | Editing Restrictions: Filling in forms.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Galler posted:

I've never found a reason to use the Catalyst Control Center or Nvidia's version. I just install the base driver. The video driver is also the only thing that ever comes up and it's usually only once every couple months so I just roll the dice and let it do its thing.

Wait till you want to force VSync/AA on/off in an application that doesn't give you the options.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I've just had a flicker of nostalgia for the bad old days - is there still anyone out there using a shell replacement (e.g. litestep, ge0shell) with windows 7? What are you using? Will any of this work of windows 8?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Aatrek posted:

I might just be a little too picky - looking back at captures from other places, the VLC/PNG ones I've made do look close to the others. I need to have them end up in a JPG format, so VLC > PNG > JPG seems to be the best option. Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

Is it possible one of the players you're using/your gfx drivers are doing 16-255 -> 0-255 conversion? There's a shader for it in MPC.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
ProgDVB's pretty decent and has a non-crippled free version, too.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Pilsner posted:

While you're correct, it's also such a huge PITA that I run with UAC completely off. I run a lot of programs and edit files that are in "illegal" locations, and I simply don't want to deal with that prompt and having to re-save and copy every time. Another big annoyance is also that if you set a program to startup with Windows, and it's not "properly" installed according to Windows specs (for example, has its configuration file in a .ini file in the program directory), the program simply doesn't start; no warning nor prompt.

UAC makes sense, but consider that you're sitting on your home computer, of zero interest to hackers apart from maybe your RPG gold, and with probably no intellectual or monetarian value on it. There's such a thing as going too far, with all the hassle it entails. You could also install a fingerprint reader in your car and tie it to a lamppost with a cable thick enough to hold a ship every time you park it, but who wants to. :effort: :iiaca:

Set up admin-notepad as a context-menu item.
Also, please do remember: WoW accounts are more valuable than credit cards to bad people.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I think I've hit my first Windows 10 glitch.
I've got two monitors and the taskbar on the secondary display won't auto-hide.

ed: un-hiding the search button sorted it.
ed2: on re-booting it reappears, but tapping search restores proper behaviour.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 9, 2015

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

spog posted:

Anyone recommend a simple ping graph app for Win 7?

Something is going wrong my home network and I am getting frequent drops, but I can't tell if it is the Wifi, the router or my ISP, so I want something that continually pings 4 addresses and shows the time - so I can see where the holes are.

I think what you want is WinMTR - it'll run a continuous traceroute to a named host and gather stats on where loss is occuring:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I've been wondering for a while, is it possible to have two different links to the same device (e.g. ethernet via homeplug and wifi) and have windows gracefully switch over if one of the two misbehaves?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Ghostlight posted:

You'll have two Windows 10 computers, not two Windows 10 keys. :eng101:

I'm really hoping that come August, we get a formal, purchasable Win 10 upgrade. If the 'digital entitlement' knocks out the transferrability of my retail 8.1, that's lovely.
I'll happily pay to do so, but a full retail purchase of 10 to get a transferrable key would leave me with 2 full licences on my hands.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Is there a decent way of syncing bookmarks between Firefox and Chrome nowadays? Eversync seem to want paying for decent numbers of bookmarks and Xmarks for platform support.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Stumpus posted:

I have an issue where my speakers play during test but they don't play anywhere else. I have a 5.1 setup, but for some reason the front speakers register as rear in the test. Central and sub test fine. No sound from anything when I play a YouTube video or Netflix.

This is a newly built system. On my previous system everything worked fine. I just unplugged it from there and into this one.

I have uninstalled the realtek audio and reinstalled. I updated the drivers.

I had that myself, some registry fiddling fixed it:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you have Macrium Reflect installed on the new install, you can mount the image file as a new (read only) drive letter that you can copy stuff out of.

Use the built-in converter to change the image to .vhd and it'll mount natively and r/w :eng101:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Dylan16807 posted:

There are typically keyframes every second or so. In theory playing backwards is simple, just decode each segment into a big buffer. I can't name any programs that do that, though.

If memory serves, MPlayer on Linux could do this.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Wirth1000 posted:

What's the best podcast organizer/downloader/player that isn't Grover or iTunes? I mean I love how iTunes organizes, saves where you left off, syncs, sets up new episodes, lets you know unlistened to etc. but I'd rather use something else that does all that and only that instead of the entire iTunes package that comes with it.

Grover I'm also just not liking.

Pocket casts is on all major platforms and has a web player so you don't unsync.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
SO, for reasons, Google have decided that Photos won't show up as part of Drive any more. Any reccommendations/workarounds for a way to get copies of anything on Photos pulled down to my PC automatically?

Google's Backup and Sync was perfect in just quietly putting a copy of anything I took into a folder for me, but apparantly some people were confused.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Is there any batch process out there to size-optimise a bunch of word files?
For reasons my girlfriend's managed to generate a whole pile word docs that are all well over a gig and it looks like they're stuffed full of uncompressed images. They're fixable individually, but being able to feed the whole lot to the 3700x overnight and just be done with it would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Worth a bash, cheers folks.