Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Is there a way to change where desktop icons are automatically placed with Windows 7 Home Premium x64?

I'm using the Rainmeter skin Enigma, and anytime a program places a shortcut on my desktop, it's puts it on the top left, which is behind a bunch of skins. That mean I have to undock all those skins and move them out of the way, then move the shortcut, then move the skins back in place.

The red circle is the newly placed shortcut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Ahhh, thanks. I was hoping for something within Windows that would do this or some sort of free program. $10 isn't awful, though. Click-thru isn't a bad idea, I just get annoyed at having to do that at all. First World Problems and all that, I guess.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I feel like this is something that windows should do natively, but I can't find hide nor hair of any such function.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I have a question for the dudes and dudettes who are experts at Excel. I use Excel for my invoices, which are usually day rates type of deals, but I have another gig that does hourly, and I'm trying to adapt my template.

Total Hours = X
Hours Hourly = Y
Hours Bonus = Z

So, basically, I get a flat rate for the first two hours of work. After that, I am hourly up until 5PM. After 5PM the Bonus Hourly is a different rate.

I'm trying to figure out the formula in excel, it would be total hours, minus 2. And then I would need to differentiate between the hours of the day. It seems like there would be an if(hour = < 5:PM) kind of deal? Right now, the fields that I manually enter are START TIME/END TIME/TOTAL HOURS

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Uthor posted:

Here's what I came up with. It may not be the most efficient.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VpIuLyJVuSvW5CLzjb84cDPe_wPhPKfo/view?usp=drivesdk

Enter a start and end time. There's a cell somewhere defining "5 PM" (as I didn't know how to reference it otherwise). Calculates the total number of hours. Calculates the total number of hours and the number of hours after 5 PM, does a flat rate for the first two hours, and hourly rate up until 5 PM, and a bonus rate after 5 PM. Also just gives the flat rate if less than 2 hours. Everything should be a variable except that 2 hours is hard coded into the formula.

That's awesome, thanks! I'm pretty sure I can parse your formulas, they look pretty straightforward. And I can just make a cell with that value and call the cell in a formula or something. I really appreciate that.

mystes posted:

You can just do something like MAX(cellwithtime - TIME(17,0,0), 0) * rate for the part after 5 pm.

Also there's an excel thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3132163

I didn't know TIME was a defined variable, that helps, too. Thanks for think to the thread, I didn't see it when I searched through, but I could just be an idiot.

EDIT: Your both powers combined, it works perfectly now, thanks fellas.

Narzack fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 29, 2021

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Do you guys know what some common reasons why a screen saver won't activate? It was working fine until yesterday.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I see that you figured out another way with the poster above but not sure if you tried Davinci Resolve, it's free and one of the best video editors for $0 for general use.

I second this

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Nope! I couldn’t get anyone to give a good explanation either when I had the same problem.

Well, shoot. Did it ever resolve itself?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Can anyone recommend a good video editing program, preferably free, for me?

I have over 200 episodes of a tv show that I want to cut the intro and end credits from, and am looking for something that can be used to easily do lots of edits like that. Either as a batch (remove the final 40 seconds from every selected file in folder), or a shortcut that I can set up (open each file and press CTRL+P or whatever to remove the next 40 seconds), or something similar.

I've grabbed a couple random free ones so far, and they are all overly complicated and take way too many steps to do what I want.

If you've ever used Plex, it now detects intros, so you can skip them and starts the countdown for the next episode during credits

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

No it didn’t. I just put the computer to sleep now instead :shrug:

I wonder if it's rainmeter or epic games store or GOGgalaxy or something?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

I have the exact same issue which is why I just sleep the computer now.

Nothing I tried told me what was preventing the monitor from sleeping or the screen saver from going on.

It would be nice if it was reliable but I guess not lol.

This is such a perplexing issue, and, like you said, there is no answer online. I don't like to put my computer to sleep, because I have to keep it in a very cold part of the house and if my monitor turns off for a long time, it takes almost an hour to turn back on in the cold. It's just so very weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

For me ( it’s probably the same for them) it will start manually and stay on it won’t automatically start.

The screen will go to sleep eventually (like 90% of the time).

I just want to have the screen saver work properly so that I can remote into the system. Like if the screen is off my RDP just shows a black screen for whatever reason.

Yes, the same. Although I've changed my power settings, because I don't want my computer to go to sleep. I've always liked screen savers, too, so it's kind of a bummer. Especially when you find a cool one like electric sheep