Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

How fast should this run compared to XP? I'm on a Q6600 with 2GB RAM and I'm finding it's slower than my XP (I'm dual booting). When I open folders and programmes and such I get more of a hang than I do XP. I'd pinned it down to it being an RC and not the final version, but was just wondering.

Also when I play Team Fortress 2 it keeps crashing, a box pops up saying it is trying to diagnose the problem, and then I have to quit the game. Again this may just be incompatability issues perhaps?

One other thing. Before I installed, I was running 32 bit XP on partition A, with partition B just being for files. I split partition B into two, giving me B and C. Tried to install Windows 7 (64 bit) on C, but something weird happened (I can't remember what, it was a few weeks ago) and I ended up with Windows 7 on partition C, but with an extra partition, D. I tried combining B and D together (using partition magic in XP) and then using the windows 7 manager, but it won't let me do it. I'm not sure if it's because I need certain permissions, or the fact that one partition was created using XP and the other with W7. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

man thats gross posted:

God drat do I love this OS.

I too need this clock! How do you get it?

Also, I posted a while ago but it must have got lost as this thread moves fast, but how do you manage partitions in Windows 7? I've got an XP partition, a W7 partition, and two (for some really long and stupid reason) other partitions that I keep my files on. However my files are only on the first, and I want to merge the second into the first, but it won't let me do it in either OS :( Something about them being different kinds of NTFS? I'm at work now so I'm not too sure, but I think I might have to just reformat my PC and do it all from there. Speaking of which, is it possible to wipe an entire drive (all 4 partitions in this case) when installing W7? I know you can do it with XP but not sure with W7.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I've got some Realtronic USB headphones as well as some normal speakers (Logitech I think). When I plug the headphones in they work, but if I unplug them the sound doesn't come out of the speakers; I think it's still set to play through the headphones. It's rather annoying!

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Is there a way to make non-compatible hardware work using older drivers? I bought a Plantronics DSP-550 headset, worked fine on XP but the mic doesn't work on my 64-bit Win7 RC. I've ordered the 64-bit Win7 Home, but it's annoying that my headset is rendered useless; I bought it for playing TF2 and such, which means I have to boot up XP in order to play games.

I looked on the Plantronics website and it's Vista 32bit compatible, so is there any way to make Win7 64 use old Vista 32 drivers? Or should I just buy a new headset?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I've just fixed it, I had more of a dig around the website and found a workaround for Vista that also worked in Win7. Now I don't need to boot XP anymore! Thanks though.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

gariig posted:

I know you fixed, but in case someone else reads the microphone was muted the first time i plugged it in. Just unmute the mic and things should work. This is what worked for me.

Yeah, it was the same for me. It's quite annoying I didn't realise earlier, I went through all the volume options (or so I thought) and couldn't get it working. So I muted it, unmuted, and it worked.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Has anyone ordered direct from Microsoft? I did because I took advantage of the student offer. I'm wondering what they use to deliver their packages. I don't have a DVD burner so can't really install until I get the DVD.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

OK I'm quite confused so apologies if this has been explained before, but I can't make sense of the different terminology.

I've got XP (32 bit) installed on one partition, and Win7 RC (64 bit) on another.

I've ordered (and been given a download link for) the Win7 Home Premium Upgrade 64 bit.

If I download that and burn it to DVD can I use it as a bootable disc and do a clean install? I wanted to wipe both my XP and Win7 partitions and start anew with the full Win7.

I've got an annoying problem in that for some reason I have 4 partitions when I wanted 3; the XP, Win7 and two data partitions. For some reason I can't combine or alter the data partitions through windows, so I wanted to go into the OS boot menu and manually delete everything there (except one data partition), giving me Win7 partition and one data partition.

So what shall I do? If I can't boot from the Win7 Upgrade, which from reading this thread I feel I can't, how do I get rid of both my XP and Win7 RC partitions and combine them and one of the data partitions into a single large partition?

Hope that makes sense!

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Will an Upgrade key work on a bootable non-upgrade disc?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Noxville posted:

Yeah, I just did that.

Ah, interesting. I've got a non-student friend who bought the 64bit Home Premium full version (I got the student Upgrade version), so if I use his disk and my key from my Upgrade, I could boot from the DVD, format my entire computer, and do a brand new fresh and clean install?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

So...managed to upgrade from RC to Home. I used the installer to format my pesky XP partition. Now can anyone tell me how I delete the RC partition and consolidate it into the full Home partition? Disk manager shows the 'delete' option as greyed out.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I'm trying to remove files from previous installation (I upgraded 7 over my XP installatin), but the checkbox to remove files isn't coming up in Disk Cleanup. Any ideas?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Has anyone else had problems connecting to the internet? I'm going mad trying to sort this problem out.

For some reason, I am getting the message '"Local area connection" does not have valid IP configuration'. I seem to be connected to an 'unidentified network'. The only thing I can think of that caused it is my computer going into sleep mode, but I've done a system restore and the internet is still not working.

I've googled this like crazy, some of the (failed) answers I got were:

Uncheck the option that allows windows to turn off the network adapter
Do ipconfig /renew
Uninstalling drivers and rebooting
Getting new drivers from manufacturer's website
Also have done a system restore

Nothing has worked, it's so annoying! Can anyone help?

edit: my router is fine, as my girlfriend's laptop works OK

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 28, 2009

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I'm sorry if this has already been answered but this thread is massive and I've got quite an urgent problem!

I got the Win7 Home Upgrade through the student deal, it's installed on my PC but I think my HD has died. I came back home today to find it saying 'Disk boot failure', and nothing I do changes it. It also makes a weird buzzing sound which I've taken to be the 'click of death'.

I am going to order a new HD, but my question is, how do I install it on my new drive if there is no OS on it already to upgrade from? I've got valid license so would it work if I get an iso copy of Win7 Home, burn to DVD, boot from that and use my serial?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Schpyder posted:

Read the article linked in my post at the very top of this page.

Thanks, but that doesn't fully answer my question, or I'm being too dense to understand. From the article I see that I can make my upgrade bootable, but what I want to know is (and I can't see that they've addressed it there), will my Upgrade license allow me to activate a full copy of Home Premium? A friend has a bootable iso Home Premium disc, so if I boot from that and use my product key to activate will it be OK?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Is there any way to enable autologon? Everything I search for basically tells me to disable the password. I'm positive on my last installation (my hard drive failed so had to install again) I was logging in automatically.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Has anyone been getting system freezes? My system hangs for 30-40 seconds at random intervals. Sometimes I'm just in Firefox, other times I'm playing a game, it's hard to predict.

I checked Event Viewer and it says nvstor64 is the source, event ID 129. It also says "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued"

Could these be linked? Any solutions? I've googled but can't find anything useful.

I'm not using a RAID setup so if I can disable it that'll be fine.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I'm using a Western Digital 1TB 7200rpm 32MB Caviar Black drive, it's only a month old. My other hard drive failed.

Not sure what you mean about host, strwrsxprt, sorry.

Using an Asus P5N32-E sli with q6600 if that's any help. Will check the BIOS now. Thanks

edit: checked my BIOS, RAID is disabled.

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 6, 2010

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

What would cause slow loading times for Win7? Recently, whenever I logon my PC gets stuck on the 'welcome' loading screen before the desktop appears. It takes about 15 seconds to clear, usually it was instant to the desktop after entering my password. What's odd is that even if I lock the computer it's the same after unlocking; that 'welcome' loading screen for a few seconds.

My drivers are all up to date and I've defragmented, checked for spyware, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Casao posted:

Do you have a wallpaper or a solid background color? Cause I seem to remember something similar with solid background colors being reported.

Ah that might explain it, I've got solid black at the moment. I'll check when I get home, thanks.