Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

I feel like a dumbass for asking, but I'm going to do it anyway. I bought a Dell Studio 15 a couple of months ago that qualified for a free Win7 upgrade from Dell. They seem to be dragging their feet, so I went ahead and bought a copy of Home Premium 7 this evening.

What I'd like to do is go ahead and install 7 Premium and when Dell gets their poo poo sorted out, switch from the activation key I purchased to the activation key Dell sends for Home Premium 7. The plan is to put the purchased copy on Craigslist or Ebay and get (most of) my money back. Or give it to someone as Christmas present. Or something.

The question is: Will this fly? If I deactivate one key and activate another, will Microsoft allow another activation against the first key? It seems like they wouldn't care.

You can have the RTM running for 30 days without needing a key, or you could 'rearm' it and keep it going for ~90 120 days without needing a key.

4 Day Weekend fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

You can actually rearm 3 times for 30 days each, giving you a total usage of 120 days without activation.

Knew it was either 90 or 120. Thanks.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

As said before, all you need is the key. Then grab the ISO, check the hashes and there you go.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Just google the MD5 and 'torrent' or some such and just read some of the comments (I hope I don't get banned for this)

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

nrr posted:

Thanks for all your help.

just make it so people can email you and we wouldn't be in this mess.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

ufarn posted:

Shame that it, like similar services, doesn't offer anything for x64 users. :/

You mean ninite? I don't think any of those programs have 64 bit counterparts.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Super Dude posted:

There is a 64 bit version of firefox, but it is in some weird testing section of mozilla's testing website. Have fun!

Well, no 64 bit counterparts that are at all worth it.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Drox posted:

Gonna try this myself. Does it include support for .mkv files?

edit: cool, the site says yes.

It does, but so does the DivX tech preview for Win 7. Tech preview doesn't give sound though.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Otacon posted:

What scores are people getting with 7200/5900rpm system drives?

I've got a 2 year old 7200.10 Seagate which is getting 5.9. My brothers new 7200.12 Seagate also gets a 5.9.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

To everyone buying Crysis:

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23117

It's a mod that makes the game look better AND less taxing on resources. For comparisons sake, I was running on high (level 4) on a C2D, 9800GT(8800GT) and 2GB of RAM, 1440x900, but no AA and I was getting 40fps average. Not bad for 3 year old system that was midrange when I bought it.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

4 Day Weekend posted:

To everyone buying Crysis:

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23117

It's a mod that makes the game look better AND less taxing on resources. For comparisons sake, I was running on high (level 4) on a C2D, 9800GT(8800GT) and 2GB of RAM, 1440x900, but no AA and I was getting 40fps average. Not bad for 3 year old system that was midrange when I bought it.

I just realised I posted that in the wrong thread

Still, good for Crysis players.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Just to clarify; Are you guys saying that when you play a game in windowed-full screen, that the task bar is always there no matter what, or it only shows up when you press the windows key /alt tab etc.

4 Day Weekend fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 16, 2009

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Super Dude posted:

It's not showing up on my MSDN software list. Do I have to have some special account?

edit: Nevermind.

I'd like to know this too.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

4 Day Weekend posted:

quote:

office 2010 beta stuff
I'd like to know this too.

Available to the public:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/201...us/default.aspx

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Regarding 2010, just tried installing this morning and the tech preview didn't want to uninstall. Something about the install missing a file or some such. I tried using the Windows Install Cleanup tool, which removed it (apparently) and at the end of installation it just says 'office has encountered a problem during installation'.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Did you happen to find a fix? I'm seriously thinking of just reformatting. 2010 Tech Preview doesn't want to install either. Fortunately my uni year is finished so I won't have to use it for while, but still.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

It's an ad.

I get it on the homepage every now and then.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

I want to create an image of my OS drive , short stroke it , then put the image back on. What's the best program to create the image?

spanky the dolphin posted:

I guess what I'd like to know is, are there any worthwhile gadgets you guys know of, or is the feature basically there as an antidote to OS X dashboard with little to realy offer?

Really depends on what you want (weather, exchange rates, clock etc?), but a good alternative to gadgets are rainmeter skins: http://rainmeter.net/RainCMS/

4 Day Weekend fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 8, 2009

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

I'll be using seatools.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

4 Day Weekend posted:

I want to create an image of my OS drive , short stroke it , then put the image back on. What's the best program to create the image?

Just tried this using windows backup. It wouldn't restore the image unless the drive was at it's normal size.

EDIT: Tried acronis; freezes on initialize after short stroking. Works fine before hand.

4 Day Weekend fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 8, 2009

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Anyone else getting this ?

A new icon thing shows up, rather than expanding the existing one. Doesn't happen with any of the other programs either. Haven't changed any settings, so I figured it was a chrome thing, but my brother has the exact same version of chrome, same taskbar settings and there's nothing wrong with his. Tried rebooting, repinning the icon.

EDIT: aaaaaand 5 seconds after posting this, I fixed it. Pinned the new icon that came up, and unpinned the old one.

4 Day Weekend fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 13, 2009

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

revolther posted:

Are you using the dev channel of chrome, I had a similar problem today as well, thought maybe it was an update they did, but fixed it basically the same way you did.

Yep, dev channel.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Grawl posted:

I told MSE to check my computer, and it found nothing. After a series of different virusscanners, it turns out I was indeed carrying a trojan around.

What other scanners did you use?

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Yossarko posted:

MSN is weird on the superbar. It takes up two windows, one being the list and the other it's icon - or something.

I think it is a bug, but honestly I prefer it on the taskbar rather than the tray.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

I use rainmeter skins instead of gadgets. Only a clock and a network utilisation meter though, I don't really need anything else. The latest rainmeter version fixes the aero peek problem.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Someone posted this earlier:

Right click the folder > properties > customize tab and optimise for general items.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Yossarko posted:

Where can I find some neat / good 7 gadgets that don't suck ?

Try some rainmeter skins.
http://rainmeter.net/
http://customize.org/

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Eddain posted:

Digital River has been dropping every connection attempt for the past 12 hours now.

Is it against the rules to post up the MSDN downloader? It's basically an exe that downloads the ISO from MSDN.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

You can check disk activity in resource monitor. Could be the indexer?

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Tried with a single card? Sounds like at least one of them is faulty.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

johndoe7776059 posted:

If you have professional, open the Group Policy Editor, and set Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Windows Update->No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations: enabled

Can't you just set it to tell you when updates are available, rather than downloading and installing automatically?

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Tornhelm posted:

For XP and below, this was definitely the case - I don't know if they fixed it in Vista/Win7, though I doubt they did.

Wait, is that just if there are files on the desktop, or icons or what? I've got a ton of crap on my desktop, but my I set my icons to off and I haven't really noticed any reduced performance? Should I clear up my desktop folder anyway?

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

I formatted a HDD for FAT32 just now, copied files over and played them on my PS3. Brought it back to my PC and in a moment of stupidity, tried plugging it back in without turning my machine on.

Got a black screen on my monitor and fan blowing at full speed. Rebooted and got a BSOD, tried without the fat32 HDD and it works fine.

Now, the HDD works fine, I can see it in safe mode and I can still play everything on it on the PS3, it's only when I try and boot windows normally do I get the BSOD. Any ideas?

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

The drive is SATA 2. I'm using AHC1 mode if that matters. I tried switching to IDE but I still get a BSOD. Tried automatic startup repair and a different sata port, no dice. Interestingly, on safe mode with networking it says 'searching for preconfigured drive'...

The bsod code is 0x0...116, if that helps.

EDIT: Formatted it and all is well. Something must have been messed with when I attempted to plug it in.

Copied some things to it , tried it in the enclosure (worked fine), plugged it back into my PC and bam, BSOD. PC was off this time when I plugged in/out.

vvvvvv

No copy of windows on the drive and I'm sure it was booting off the correct HDD. Safe mode worked fine, it even saw the drive.

I should probably clarify just in case, whenever I say plugging it into my computer, I mean via sata data/power cable, not USB via the enclosure.

Just tried the same thing again (copying files, moving drive to enclosure, using it, moving drive back) but this time I was careful; swtiching off PSU, waiting 20 seconds after powering off before unplugging the HDD, and no BSOD. Guess I just have to be careful.

4 Day Weekend fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 15, 2010

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

chippy posted:

I'm just about to go from Vista 32 to 7 64 - what's the best lightweight media player/codec pack combo these days? I always used to use CCCP on new installs, is that still all good?

I use sharks codec pack. Also, use the divx tech preview for mkvs on win 7.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

You can also middle click and it'll open a new instance of a pinned program.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...d-home-premium/

edit: Apparently the site is a little dodgy, you might want to use a download manager.

Also, what are the differences between english/french/other copies? Would you be able to install Win 7 in english with a different language disc?

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

peak debt posted:

25GB is more than enough. Windows 7 itself is about 10 gigs.

Sorry, I don't think 25GB is enough. My Windows folder itself is 15GB. That's just the windows folder.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Home Premium N? Not sure. Try this:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...d-home-premium/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

jackpot posted:

Nope.

She's already re-written the file; at this point it's nothing more than a cautionary tale. Working straight from a download like that was a really dumb thing to do.

My friend did the exact same thing, though it was IE7 on XP. After 10 minutes of googling , apparently IE saves to some special folder that's incredibly difficult to access.