Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queztal
Jan 19, 2009
I'm going to be installing Windows 7 64-bit on a new machine I'm building. I want to stick with my old Audigy 2 ZS sound card if I can, though, because it is the best cheap card I've used for recording. Is there any hope of using it with ASIO support, either through ASIO4ALL, some Creative drivers or with kX? So far all the looking I've done seems to show that it's iffy and garbled audio seems common. Maybe I should look for a more modern sound card that supports ASIO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queztal
Jan 19, 2009

Disgustipated posted:

Virtual PC isn't really intended for anything but Windows. You'd be better off using VMWare or VirtualBox or something like that if you want to virtualize Linux.

Has this just been the case since Microsoft got their hands on it? Worked fine for everything when it was owned by Connectix.

queztal fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 19, 2009

queztal
Jan 19, 2009
I installed Windows 7 (build 7100) without AHCI enabled; if I enable it, obviously Windows won't boot since the driver isn't enabled. How simple is it to manually enable the driver for this to work? I found a post which explains how to do this, but if I enable the driver and Windows 7 won't boot for some reason, should Windows start without any issues if I disable AHCI in the BIOS again?

Yes I'm willing to go to this much annoyance to get a slight boost in performance.

queztal
Jan 19, 2009

phosdex posted:

That method worked for me to enable AHCI.

I just tried it without problems. Works very well.

queztal
Jan 19, 2009
I was having a very annoying problem last night. I was trying to copy over my music library (about 200 directories) and when I would drag them from my external hard drive to the music library, nothing would happen. When I would drag a few at a time, it would work fine. Eventually it ended up being an issue with a quote in a folder name. I copied the files from an EXT3 file system to NTFS on my external hard drive from my other PC and instead of giving me an error when I tried to copy the erroneous file name, Explorer decided to just do nothing at all. It took me forever to figure out this problem, too! Talk about ridiculous; I wish it would have just thrown an error at me from the start. This isn't a problem many people are ever likely to experience, but I can't be the only one. I guess now the only option I have is to go back to my old PC and rename the file on Linux and hope I can copy it over then.

queztal fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 23, 2009

queztal
Jan 19, 2009

Slow is Fast posted:

I'm trying to install RC 7 on my desktop. The dvd I burned it on boots in, shows the windows is loading screen, then goes into a pretty flowery desktop picture with a cursor, but no menu comes up. I'm probably going to try and burn another DVD but if anyone else has a better answer I'd be more than happy to hear it.

I had this same problem. Try waiting about ten minutes; it took about five minutes for it to come up for me, and I have no idea why. After waiting that long, everything went fine.

queztal
Jan 19, 2009
I've only gotten that Avira "Don't be bugged by the Internet" pop-up twice; should I expect it to come up more? I found a few ways to disable it but was going to wait until it came up again.

queztal
Jan 19, 2009
I found my first piece of hardware that just won't seem to work in Windows 7 and that is my HP Laserjet 1018 printer. It really sucks, because HP offers x64 vista drivers on their site, but the installer freezes. I guess I should get a new printer but this one still works so well and I print so rarely anyway.

Is there anything I could try, besides compatibility mode stuff? It won't work with any of them.

queztal
Jan 19, 2009

Mensur posted:

Have you tried a built in driver for a similar model? Win7 has no driver for the HP Laserjet 4000 but the 4100 driver works just fine.

I was going to try this, so I hooked up the printer again and went to Update Driver, select manually, blah blah blah... and then it says it found something. I guess the EZInstall.exe from HP left drivers around on the drive, even though it claims it failed. It now works just fine.

Although now I kind of have something else to complain about. For a while now I've noticed that the minimize effect on windows has disappeared. Has anyone else experienced this? No big deal really, though; instead of doing the minimize effect they just fade away when minimized.

queztal
Jan 19, 2009
I just got Windows 7 Professional x64 from MSDNAA. It's been awesome so far, but one major problem for me is that I cannot connect to my campus's WPA-Enterprise secured wireless network. When I choose the option 'WPA-Enterprise' and method 'Microsoft PEAP', I am not even prompted for a username/password/domain. When I choose the method 'Cisco: PEAP', I am also unable to connect because it only allows me to enter a username/password, but no domain (I tried 'DOMAIN\username' with no luck).

I have all the latest drivers installed; aside from contacting my campus administrators and getting told that they don't support Windows 7 yet, what can I do? On Vista, when I selected WPA-Enterprise and method PEAP, it asked me for a username, password AND domain name. The domain is required to log on, but the computer does not have to join the domain.

EDIT: And I have made sure to tell it not to use my Windows login username or password. gently caress, this is confusing and infuriating.

queztal fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queztal
Jan 19, 2009

Naffer posted:

When you click setting next to PEAP does everything look alright? Do you need to authenticate against a different server? Is your authenication method set to what your school uses? Do you have it set to automatically use your windows login?

Yes. No, but they do use a different certificate. Yes it is. And no I do not. I have it set up just like it was on Vista (to my knowledge), and it simply does not work--Windows is not providing me with the authentication pop-up when I select PEAP.