Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parantumaton
Jan 29, 2009

The OnLy ThInG
i LoVe MoRe
ThAn ChUgGiNg SeMeN
iS gEtTiNg PaId To Be A
sOcIaL MeDiA sHiLl
FoR mIcRoSoFt
AnD nOkIa

Parachute Underwear posted:

Old post, sorry.

I know it's a bit of a newer processor (compared to yours anyway) but I gave my parents my old gaming rig with an Athlon 64 3800+ with 2 gigs of RAM and a 5500 FX and it ran Vista 64 for the longest time and they've been running 7 64 since January now without a hitch. They've upgraded to a 7600 GT I gave them and the system will very occasionally blue-screen while my sister is playing Sims 3 but I figure it's just because it's old as poo poo and the game's new, and it was the first computer I put together myself.

I can top that, my mom has my old A64 3400+ with single gigabyte of slow-as-hell RAM and some passive cooled old beans GeForce and it's working just fine - including all the fancy UI things - even with full firewall/antivirus (F-Secure's, in this case) running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parantumaton
Jan 29, 2009

The OnLy ThInG
i LoVe MoRe
ThAn ChUgGiNg SeMeN
iS gEtTiNg PaId To Be A
sOcIaL MeDiA sHiLl
FoR mIcRoSoFt
AnD nOkIa

kiph posted:

I always thought ATi was the one with the poo poo drivers.

ATi and NVIDIA switched places in the driver quality race when ATi released the Radeon 9x00 series and NVIDIA decided to do couple years of catch-up on the whole DX9 race.