Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sully
Feb 6, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

It disables Aero for the entire desktop or just the player? Does it automatically turn off Aero, and if so, does Aero automatically come back when you're done?

In my experience with applications that disable Aero, its disabled globally until that application is closed, and then automatically enables itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sully
Feb 6, 2009

Zuffox posted:

Care to throw it up on a site like Sharebee? Hope I'm not the only one too lazy to register to be able to download.

http://sharebee.com/25544be1

Sully
Feb 6, 2009

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Ok, thats cool. Do these require fresh formats to install, or do they go on right over the existing installation without messing anything up?

Most builds upgrade fine, from build 7000 to the RC (7100) it required you to edit the cversion.ini, but it's pretty much the general consensus that a fresh install is always better going from build to build.

If that isn't realistic, by all means, you can just upgrade without (mostly) any worries.

Sully
Feb 6, 2009
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Microsoft has an upgrade advisor to check your system for any incompatibilities you'd currently have (software, hardware, etc).

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1B544E90-7659-4BD9-9E51-2497C146AF15&displaylang=en

Sully
Feb 6, 2009

c0burn posted:

Take ownership of the files via the Security Tab (Advanced>Owner).

For all people who keep getting ownership/security issues - wtf are you doing? Do you pick a different username and password for every OS install or what?

I'm thinking that might be the issue, after doing a fresh install of the RC, I got errors accessing my media partitions (I'm thinking) due to a new username/password combo.

Your fix is what got it working for me... Takes about 5 seconds to stop being 'bullied' by your computer.

Sully
Feb 6, 2009
Annoying issue that just popped up (who knows if it's Windows 7 related or not), but if I press Shift and attempt to hit the spacebar, it won't register. Not sure if anyone has encountered this issue before or if I'm just missing an option in keyboard preferences.

Sully
Feb 6, 2009

All Too Much For Me posted:

Thanks,
I've not used that menu for ages though, because when I was using linux I got so used to the hold alt and drag to move windows shortcut that I installed http://taekwindow.sourceforge.net/ when I started using 7.

Great little app, amazingly way more useful than it sounds, thanks!

Sully
Feb 6, 2009
I've been having a strange error for the past few weeks now. Every time I end up holding the shift key and tap space, the spacebar fails to register the stroke. I've tried remapping keys, switching keyboards, etc. I've tied this down to being a Windows 7 or software issue. I've heard possibilities of Adobe AIR causing these issues, although literally every one of these issues happened with some application called Thwirl in OS X and an Adobe AIR update fixed it.

I've uninstalled AIR and all of the applications that needed AIR, and combed the registry for anything leftover. I'm at my wits end, it's an extremely annoying problem.

Anyone have any idea what the hell is going on, or how to fix it? :ohdear:

Sully
Feb 6, 2009

Casao posted:

Ctrl-click?

Or just Win+Left one and Win+Right the other.

One of the best features.

Here's the pricing at launch for Vista (according to zdnet)

Windows Vista Home Basic, $199/$99.95
Windows Vista Home Premium, $239/$159
Windows Vista Business, $299/$199
Windows Vista Ultimate, $399/$259

Pretty much the exact same thing, I don't get the uproar.

Sully fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 3, 2009

Sully
Feb 6, 2009

Gvaz posted:

I guess? How do I do that?

When the window has focus, hold your Win button (Big thing... looks like a Microsoft logo!) and use your arrow keys. Left arrow to move it to the left part of the screen, right arrow for the other.

Sully
Feb 6, 2009

ibroxmassive posted:

Media Player Classic-HC 64 bit resolves some framerate issues on .mkv files in Windows 7 as well, at least for me.

Was using ffdshow and getting absolutely terrible performance (on my poo poo computer, but hey). Did this, works amazing.

Sully
Feb 6, 2009
Having major issues with audio crackling since upgrading my old Toshiba Satellite M45-S269 (Realtek AC97 drivers), anyone experience these issues and have any fixes? I've tried the most recent drivers posted on the Realtek website and went to Vista drivers, all to no avail. This problem didn't exist in XP and only popped up when I upgraded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sully
Feb 6, 2009

kode54 posted:

Yes, yes there are. The DivX Plus Codec Pack supports MKV files using Media Foundation, and comes with both 32-bit and 64-bit flavors in a single installer. Plus, it claims to support streaming MKV files to PS3 and XBox360 consoles using the stock Windows Media sharing service, but I haven't tested that.

I can confirm that streaming MKVs to Windows Media Center on the Xbox 360 works using that codec pack.