Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Hey there. Using Win7 for a month by now and i'm pretty happy with it. Went for the 64 bit edition for the first time. Pretty gravy, so far. Just recently hit some dead ends that made me wish for a 32 bit OS again. All other PCs with 32 bit OSes nearby are either broken or off-limits to me, though.

Now, i read a little about dual-booting and VHDs and things, which sounds pretty awesome. Downloaded EasyBCD, too. I'd need to slightly reformat my pretty stuffed HD, though, so i'll ask to be sure before i undertake that task.

I heard you can activate both 32 and 64 bit versions of Win7 with one key, which would be pretty swanky. Most articles i found were form the Win7 beta phase, though. So is it still possible to get both 32 and 64 bit running on your PC with dualboot and one license? I planned on stuffing 32 bit into a Virtual HD to be placed on my current C drive, good/bad idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MeKeV posted:

What 64bit issuse have you hit? Might be possible to find ways around them rather than going straight to a dual boot? I've not really had issues so far.

Some discontinued tools or programs i occasionally use that are cockblocked by the x64 kernel patch protection.

Ryokurin posted:

By activating with one key, they mean your key can activate a single 32-bit or 64-bit version, not that you can run a 64-bit os, and use the same key for a 32-bit machine or a 32-bit vm on the same hardware.
That's a pity, seems i have to nag and beg my buddy for a spare key then.

So this probably isn't Win7 exclusive, but i was kinda surprised to hear that the User files directories are symbolic links and that i can place my User profiles anywhere i want on the hard disk, outside the boot partition, too.
Is it possible then to use the same profiles i have on my 64 bit installation on the secondary 32 bit one without having to tweak and reconfigure them all over again? This takes up ungodly amounts of time on every Windows installation, right behind installing all my little essential tools and apps.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Factory Factory posted:

Here's a third way: Why not use x64 Win 7 Pro and use XP mode for your various tools and gizmometers? Or do you know it wouldn't work virtualized?

I only got a Home Premium OEM (Builder :ssh:) license right now, so no XP mode for me. I can probably get my tech studies buddy to get me a Professional or Ultimate license if he still has one to spare, but then i might as well go for 32 bit in the first place. :v:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone tell me where i'm going to get Win7 updates if the Windows Update doesn't work? It tells me my hardware is incompatible with Win7 and that i should upgrade to 10, which sounds like bullshit because last month i was still downloading updates just fine.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That doesn't sound good. I'm on Kaby Lake now and not really keen on stepping down again, but i'm not sure i want to upgrade to 10 either (yet).

Any pointers on where i could inform myself on how to hack together my own update packages?

edit: found this, but before i go around installing random internet poo poo into my Windows, is this what i want?
https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I found a new 4TB WD Red and was considering using it to upgrade my ancient 600GB WD Caviar Blue in my desktop PC. it proves to be.... difficult.

I tried just cloning the whole drive over via CloneZilla Live USB, which informed me that the MBR on my Blue (this is the hidden 100MB partition at the start, right?) can only handle up to 2TB and i need a GPT instead. I shrugged and hit enter.
Cloning seemed to end well, but when i try to boot from the Red afterwards, Windows blue-screens on start-up, so i guess it didn't work out after all.

Checking the drive management tool in Windows also shows me the Red's space with 2 discreet empty spaces (after i cleaned the disk again) - one in 2TB and one in slightly less than 2. So do i need to somehow convert the MBR to a GPT on my boot partition first before it can handle the full 4TB on the Red? How the heck do i do that?