Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Only time I got a blue screen on Win7 was when I was installing my soundcard's driver and midway through 7's automatic driver installation decided to kick in and both driver installation attempts collided in spectacular fashion. I was too busy laughing at what brought it about to even care about being blue screened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lum posted:

Is there an official SP1 (eg. MDSN or Technet) out yet, or is it still just that dodgy leak from one of the OEMs?

Is this not it?

Or this?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, sorry, I'd assumed that people in this thread knew it was in RC stage and were just somehow really bad at Google searching or something. My bad! :shobon:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Assuming it's an icon you've pinned to the taskbar, you can change the icon of it's shortcut (place it on the desktop and set the property there so it'll stick) and then pin it back to the taskbar and it'll keep the shortcut icon when it's launched.
Otherwise you'll have to always launch it from a shortcut where you've set its icon.

If you mean the text that displays when you've got the taskbar in icon&text mode, the text is set on a per-application basis, so it depends on the program, by default.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Toast Museum posted:

You shouldn't have to create new shortcuts or anything, as far as I can tell.

I didn't think so either, but changing it just via that led to the icon not actually updating. I wasn't suggested the desktop-method because I didn't know any better, but because the taskbar doesn't seem to actually update when asked to.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's not as bad as one my university professors forgetting to close μTorrent on his presentation laptop. That wasn't just Linux ISOs, prof.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's problems like this that make me glad I use the Vista bootloader to chainload GRUB instead of the other way around. Although that's probably because I prefer Windows for non-server machines.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A strange little bug I get from time to time is that whatever icon on the taskbar my mouse was last over stays highlighted, and its tooltip pops up, even if I've moved my mouse away and clicked in another window. If the icon moused over's program is running at the time, sometimes keyboard focus is stolen as well.

This is easily fixed by killing explorer and reopening it, but does anyone have any clue what's causing it? I don't want to go hunting down a responsible installed program if someone already knows.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I don't think it's that - while I use VNC to access it from time to time the problem has never occurred afterwards.
...now I think about it, it didn't happen at all in the past three months and that coincides with when I stopped playing Left 4 Dead 2 regularly, and it only started happening few days ago when I played it again for the first time in ages. I wonder if something in L4D2 causes the error somehow or if it's a bizarre coincidence.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My old monitor started to mess up text display until I changed the phase and pixel clock on it. I can't guarantee this is anything close to your problem but maybe working with those could help you out?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

For a start are any of your processes showing undue usage of your CPU or RAM?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

I wouldn't want my mom dicking around in disk management where 'format' is right next to 'change drive letter'

Those two things are related, though?

And it is 'two clicks' away from being an option

But it's an 'administrative' tool for a reason - it can severely gently caress up file links unless you're careful about what the drive contains. That's why it's not there unless you're someone allowed to make administrative decisions.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

And to that effect, the scenarios I'm envisioning are for external drives. If you plug the same external drive into 2 different windows machines, chances are they are going to get assigned different drive letters. This is the scenario which I'm thinking the casual user with more than 1 PC is going to want 'friendlier' access to change drive letters.

I could do this back on XP, and it was wonderful for breaking links. That said, what you're describing is actually an edge case if anything (especially if referring to software that goes to the same letter on multiple PCs). I can understand the desire to make it automated but this is opening up a poo poo-ton of PEBKAC issues in exchange for a hundred thousandth of a percent of users to get a mild benefit.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, I use PuTTY on x64 Windows and have no problem connecting to any bit-depth terminal. It even has full KeePass2 Pageant support. No reason not to use it.

...oh, I suppose for clarity's sake I should mention that PuTTY was updated (relatively) recently to make it compatible with modern OSes, even though it was already fine anyway. It now even has Jumplist support!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Happy to help! :) Glad to hear it's solved your issue!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

No I'm sorry, I want to hear the media PC from another PC, even if it's a second or two latent.

foobar2000's UPnP component allows you to listen in to foobar's audio output from another machine without affecting it, exactly like you're talking about, as well as control the foobar2000 instance on your media PC if you need to pause it or the like.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I use RealVNC at home and at work and rather like it. It's $30 for a desktop and works rather excellently for me.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Several VNC servers have the option to disable monitors on connection (so people physically nearby can't see what you're doing) and auto-lock-on-disconnect, so you can leave your machine running 24/7 in relative peace.

If you're talking about sleep in terms of power-saving then I'm not so sure... I admit it's not been something I've particularly concerned myself about.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

You can use Process Explorer and select those from Options -> Tray Icons, although I think it considers all IO and not just network IO.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jehde posted:

Is there any sort of application for Windows 7 that will handle this for me? Or do I have to manually create each symbolic link individually and update it manually anytime files change in the overflow folder?

Now you make me think about it, isn't this exactly what the Windows 7 Library system is designed for? Try creating a new Library with your overflow drive as your default save location?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

WYA posted:

My grandma wants to upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 8. She's a moderately savvy computer user, should I let her do it?

Honestly as Windows 8 is right now I'd say it's probably best not to - stick with Windows 7 if she wants to get off Vista. Windows 8 may be improved as time progresses somewhat, but the Metro interface can be rather incompatible with non-touch machines.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Not everyone can just by a new machine on a whim. And upgrading from Vista to 7 is actually a lowering of hardware requirements, from most comparisons.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Use something like Keyfinder to recover your serial key and any ISO from Digital River, Microsoft's digital distribution outsource. I used the ones linked on this blog.

edit: apparently Keyfinder bundles spyware into it these days, so find something less lovely

Tesseraction fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 29, 2013

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Thunderbird wasn't 'discontinued' it just stopped having new features developed officially by Mozilla. They still put out updates, in fact the latest official version was released yesterday.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

xf86enodev posted:

FYI, keyfinder tried installing a bunch of toolbars without my confirmation. God knows what else is on my PC now. At least now I know how those lists of CD-keys get compiled.

So thanks for the recommendation rear end in a top hat!

Huh, really? I apologise, that never happened to me when I used it to recover my CD key, but lack of symptom doesn't mean no disease. I'll edit my original post so no-one else gets hit by it too.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

SynMoo posted:

Ideally you'd uninstall the drivers. When asked to reboot you'd shutdown instead. Swap the cards, then boot back up. The driver itself won't cause a problem, but all of the bundled control center stuff might be an issue.

I think they were just asking about driver updates, in which case Radeon's new update installer allows for restartless upgrades.

Edit: I say 'new' it's been that way for like 2 years.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Wasn't SourceForge only loving with 'abandoned' projects and leaving actively maintained ones alone? Or were they also injecting into active projects?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

My speakers just come with 1 connection. Sound card the one built into my motherboard. It's a realtek something or other and I don't see an option to swap channels in the Realtek HD Audio Manager program.

If the audio manager has a headphones option it sometimes allows you to swap them if you pretend your speakers are headphones. Affects the sound output of course.

Otherwise as another poster said just buy an audio cable extension instead of mixing cables.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well, I can do it, but I have a dedicated sound card with its own driver software.

Apparently this works, but after 14 days you have to pay $18 to continue using it http://www.actualsolution.com/

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

WorkingStiff posted:

This information would be quite useful to anyone helping you troubleshoot your issue.

Huh? I don't have an issue - the poster above me, Boris Galerkin does. He said he has a RealTek onboard soundcard, hence having relatively generic drivers which don't help him.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tuyop posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around hardlinks.

I have folder A with files 1,2,3 and folder b with files 4,5,6. Can I create folder c, hardlink files 1-6 to it (is this even the correct language for hardlinks? Do you hardlink? Make a hardlink?) and sync it with BitTorrent sync and have all my client computers receive usable copies of those files without creating another copy of the original files, or will they just receive nonsense?

Shouldn't you just hardlink one folder into the other? So have

B/1 -> A/1
B/2 -> A/2
B/3 -> A/3
B/4
B/5
B/6

(where -> denotes the link)

Or will you regularly update both folders?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tuyop posted:

Well, A and B have to stay the same and do change constantly. Eventually, I would link other folders to the sync folder. I could just sync the individual folders as needed, I guess, but I want to save time on the client side and just make new links on the server, if I can.

I suppose the question is why A and B have to remain separate on the local if they're merged on the remote sync client? I'd personally just have A/B one-way sync to a single folder on the next machine in the chain and then have all other machines two-way sync to that one.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Still exists, still getting updated with features you will absolutely never use, still way better than Explorer.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Speaking of Directory Opus the latest update didn't require a restart afterwards, have they changed DO's behaviour or is this the new normal? Because restarting to update is such a pain in the arse for a program like this and if they've ended that requirement for (at least most) updates then even better.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I used BlueStacks when I tried to find an Android emulator for gaming and while it didn't suck it does slightly reek of freemium.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It could be the overhead of all the connections you're running for the torrent client - how many simultaneous connections do you have and how many torrents are you running? qBt constantly polls even paused/completed torrents so it could be you're just spending a lot of invisible bandwidth updating peer info.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bob Socko posted:

I’m looking at buying a couple of copies of Office. I see some realistically-priced copies on eBay, and some $10 copies like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Office-2019-for-Mac-Digital-Copy-Instant-Download/233242612513?hash=item364e57d321:g:LBAAAOSwP41c-nVM

I assume that if they’re sketchy or illegal, the listing would be pulled. So what am I missing?

I think the trick with these versions is they aren't eligible for patches or feature updates. Honestly an Office 365 subscription is pretty cheap and gives you up to 4 machines for a single sub, so go official if you want Office IMO.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I used to use this little tool to free up memory, no idea if it'll deal with your issue but it's pretty useful for clearing up zombie memory http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/System/maxmem/Freeware.htm

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

Don't run this, at best it will just slightly degrade system performance by dumping OS disk caches. Unused RAM is wasted ram.

I've not personally experienced that (although I admit I don't use it anymore). I certainly does push a lot of stuff to the page, but it leaves in-use data alone. Obviously YMMV but given they're having to reboot to save their machine this could be a less annoying option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*nervously looking at 140 tabs over three windows*

I uhhhh, am good at multitasking.