Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
If there's a better place to ask this, I'm sorry and please point me in the right direction.

I have a small lab with around 30 computers running XP. Unfortunately, they are all on a semi-public wireless network, and there's nothing I can do about it.

I have been trying to come up with a way to basically wipe and changes made to these computers - maybe every evening, or every 6 hours or something. The computers are available to students, so everything gets changed - taskbar size, desktop settings, random files saved all over the place.

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be much appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

That looks prettymuch perfect. I'll have to dig into it! Thanks!

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Are you literally looking for the "mouse to corner of screen, and it activates something" aspect of Expose? Or other stuff, like Spaces / seeing all the windows open kinds of things?

If the latter, Dexpot is a nice free program that does a lot of those things. http://www.dexpot.de/

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

Casimir Radon posted:

Moving stuff from my computer to an external drive and my network drive can be really tedious. Trying to do too much at once tends to bog everything down and lead to mistakes. Is there a program that lets you plan out where you want to send everything, and then goes about putting it there in a logical manner?

Not exactly meant for this task, but I use Microsoft SyncToy - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

bomblol posted:

Been using google music on my phone, but the 20,000 song limit is starting to get annoying as I am now significantly beyond that. Is there any way I can set up something similar, but just stream the music from my home PC? Preferably with an Android app. I've looked into Music Player Daemon but I'm not quite sure if it has streaming like I am looking for.

There are quite a few options - https://www.audiogalaxy.com is my favorite for simplicity and features. I use it on iOS, but I am assuming its Android features are the same/similar.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Well, Windows Live Mesh (p2p folder synchronization, without the size limitations / cost of cloud storage) is going to be eliminated in February.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a replacement? I depend on it to keep my documents folders and photo albums sync'ed across a few computers.

Edit: forgot to mention that one of the computers I sync with is a Mac - which Windows Live Mesh works surprisingly well on. So a replacement with Mac compatibility would be ideal / required.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 17, 2013

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Why not just move to SkyDrive? It's the drop-in replacement for Mesh and supports OSX.

Because I'm trying to avoid cloud storage - I have a huge photo library and documents folder, and don't really need/want them to be accessible online. My understanding was that SkyDrive was a cloud solution - unless I'm mistaken?

Same goes for Dropbox / Google Drive.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

It's a hybrid cloud solution in the exact same way that Mesh was. You have local folders that replicate through the intermediary cloud location. Mesh had the option to do the replication directly between two computers if they were both on at the same time, but that is stupid and just asking for the file to get out of sync at the various locations. Mesh also had a web interface where you could download your files through a browser.

Yeah, my only problem with that (and most cloud solutions) is that I assume(d) that you have to pay for that intermediary cloud location. If Skydrive has an option to sync without storing online (and therefore charging), then I will have to give it a shot. I am trying to check their site, but not finding any clear answers there.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

7gb free and then $10/+20GB, $25/+50GB, $50/+100GB.

Is that monthly or yearly?

That's what's going to be the deal breaker for me - also, does it let you share folders? The photo library I sync is a family photo album, and I have it set up so my parents can add photos to it easily.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thanks for that link - for some reason I wasn't finding any of that info. Alright, I guess I'll look into this.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

Diovanti posted:

Posted this about a year ago. Still wondering...

It's been a while, but I'm positive you can do this with Display Fusion ($) and pretty sure you can do this with WinSplit Revolution (free). Search for those and give them a shot, both are great programs regardless.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

Phishing attempt successful!

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Is anyone actively using Windows 10's Task View (their virtual desktop implementation)? I'm trying to see if there's a way to attach programs or windows to a specific desktop, so that they will always open there, or even set up a default number of desktops on restart. It doesn't look like any of these features exist, but I thought I'd check before I abandoned hope and went back to Dexpot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, that is amazing!