Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

Here's an interesting question:
I'm not in college; I'm a senior in high school. However, the high school I attend assigns each of its students a .edu email address on the school's domain. Would I be able to use this to become eligible for Windows 7 at the reduced student price or are there more prerequisites that I'm not aware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

Swilo posted:

To me hamachi is solely for when friends have firewall problems or really old games.
Or when your friends are pirating sons-of-bitches who can't play on any official server with you :(

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

New Home Premium install, fresh from about 20 minutes ago. Looking great so far!
Does anyone happen to have the Winfox installer lying around on their machine they could throw up on Rapidshare or something? The official download website appears to be down (404) and I'd like jump list functionality on my Firefox. :)

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

Is it possible to change the icons of games in the Games folder?
I never figured out how to do it in Vista or if you could even do it at all.
It is annoying to have every Steam game have the Steam icon.

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

WebDog posted:

If you setup a shortcut with the correct icon it should be fine when you drag it in.

:pcgaming:

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

Is it even possible to purchase Starter outside of a new netbook? I have an EeePC with XP but I'd like to stick 7 on it, and so far I still haven't seen any better deal than the Home Premium upgrade on Win741. Should I even bother with Starter?

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

Echophonic posted:

Speaking of which, what programs that put Windows 7's taskbar enhancements to good use? Stuff like jump lists and controls on the Aero preview? I know the Zune software does, foobar can do controls with a plugin, there's that Gmail app that is pretty cool, the Jumplist Launcher software that seems redundant with the way the start menu works and Steam added some jumplist functionality. I know a bunch of programs use the progress bar functionality such as ImgBurn and, again, Steam. So what else is out there that puts this stuff to good use?
Google Chrome has jump list capabilities. You can see recently viewed pages, open tabs, etc. Ironically, Firefox does not utilize this. You'd think with FF being the more popular of the two Mozilla would be on the ball with this.

For those of you that have messed around with LiteStep, if there are any of you out there, how did you like it? I'm going to toy with it for a bit longer in the morning, but so far I'm digging it. I really dislike how explorer refuses to cooperate and keeps its own ugly theme. It really hurts my customization abilities and makes the whole UI integration thing nigh impossible. I've found file manager replacements but Control Panel and all such sub-menus retain the explorer look...
It's becoming a pain, one I'm thinking may not be resolvable. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

Anyone know how to customize what icons applications/folders/file types use? I'd like to use this series of icons I downloaded a while back for to replace those of system/popular applications (such as FF, pidgin, etc), but as it stands I can't find any sort of coherent solution for use with Windows 7, they're all for XP or some poo poo and some are just not what I'm looking for. "Replace folder icons", okay, what about the rest of my stuff?