Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

Perhaps a strange question but is there a way to completely lock a disk from any read/write access in Win10 without unmounting it? Or perhaps some type of application level firewall that asks me for permission before a program can access data on a certain disk?

background: I have a Win 10 VM and a secondary disk image mounted inside it as a physical disk. The secondary disk image is on a NAS.
Anytime Windows 10 does a tiny access to it, my NAS spins up all 5 disks.
To my surprise this keeps happening even though there shouldn't be anything accessing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

edit: misread, please ignore

eames
May 9, 2009

Just echoing what the others already said, people who used GoLive/Dreamweaver back in 2000s now use something like squarespace.com, wordpress or some other CMS.

Your static HTML files are a dead end unless you're willing to write your own code in the future, which isn't really isn't that hard with todays libraries.

eames
May 9, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a way to convince windows that a monitor of a given resolution is plugged in to it, even if no monitor exists at all?

http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/fit-headless/

that's the only reliable solution I know if you want to keep hardware acceleration, which you generally do for anything GUI related.

eames
May 9, 2009

I have Windows 10 Professional as a Hyper-V VM host and one Windows 10 Pro VM running on two 1TB HDDs (mirrored with Windows software RAID1).

Whenever I start the VM it sounds like the disks start "seeking" fairly periodically, in fact it almost sounds like something is thrashing the disk although both systems (host+vm) are idle. Is this normal or something that can be easily fixed? I've only used SSDs for VMs so far but that's not an option.

eames
May 9, 2009

Microsoft reportedly bought github :ohdear:

https://mashable.com/2018/06/03/microsoft-github-acquistion/

eames
May 9, 2009

How usable is Firefox on a modern Surface device on battery power? I’d like to use FF on my Mac but it absolutely wrecks battery life compared to Safari with all its low level/private API optimisations. Is the situation similar in Windows and Edge vs FF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I've been yoloing them for a few years now without problems but its nice having a macbook as backup

same but the Catalina launch kind of changed that.