Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Also posted in the LaTeX thread, but thought I'd check here as well:

Can anyone tell me if Emacs (and the Starter Kit) works along with AUCTeX on Windows 7? I can't get it to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone managed to get Rainbow Six: Raven Shield to work on Windows 7?

I really like that game. :smith:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I've got a router/modem from the ISP I'm trying to connect to. After some budging I can now connect to it wirelessly with a MacBook and iPhone. I can't, however, do so with my Windows 7 (7100) laptop, be it by cable or wirelessly. The kicker is that my ISP doesn't offer W7 support.

When I use "diagnose" on either, I'm usually prompted that neither have a "valid" IP configuration. Currently, their IPs are set to automatic. I got the impression by talking to hotline that Win7 didn't seem to pull an IP, whatever that means.

(Writing this post on an iPhone is torture)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What the Christ does it mean that one of my folders has a green name rather than the usual black?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Gvaz posted:

The folder is encrypted, I believe. It was green in vista.
It's a folder containing a few wallpaper images.

RC and all, but makes you wonder.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

CitrusFrog posted:

I also installed the Combined Community Codec Pack and that didn't help, video-wise.
Codec packs are usually the spawn of Satan.

Try installing Media Player Classic Homecinema and see if running a video with it helps. It's also available in 64-bit.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Johnny! posted:

I've downloaded the 64 bit version of the RC twice in the last day for a build I'm doing next month and both times the Microsoft download manager has said the file is corrupt after its finished downloading. Am I doing something wrong or is the file just 'corrupt' and it should actually work?
Try downloading it with another browser.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Media Player Classic HC maximizes when pulled to the top (or Win+Up-Arrowed), instead of getting enlarged just enough to leave the Taskbar available.

Just some MPC-HC bug I should hope to see a fix for sometime, or is something else wonky?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Now and then, I can't drag my files and folders. Any idea what's up?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What is the newest version of Windows 7 that will be made available for the beta participants? I just want to make sure I download the latest version before the beta download time frame expires.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
[Deleted]

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Principia posted:

Wow I knew they were a niche browser but I thought they were at least doing better than Chrome or Safari.
It's possible that some people are using versions of Opera that identify as IE, be it by default or because of a manual setting - although the number of Opera users shouldn't exceed Safari or Chrome even after adjusting the number.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

fishmech posted:

Have you tried installing a 72xx build? It fixed a lot of stuff for me and it still uses the RC keys.
Just to make sure: Do I download the iso and perform an upgrade in order to get from 71xx to 72xx?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any ETA for TrueCrypt compatibility for Win7?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

xamphear posted:

3 months ago? I've been using it since before the RC. Works great.
Are you running 32-bit?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Odd. I must have been deterred by the Win7 warning the first time I tried it, or something.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joe Don Baker posted:

I have it on my 2 computers and it's great. Are there any charts or reviews of it that compare it to other free options out there?
http://www.av-comparatives.org/ should have an updated report at some point.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I just installed Windows 7 RTM following the 7100 RC, and my Messenger insists on staying in the Taskbar, where I prefer it in the tray. It reduces clutter, and it prevents me from shutting down the entire program by closing the Taskbar session.

How do I revert back to having it in the tray?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

incoherent posted:

Welcome to the new task bar!

E: you can try to force it to run in as vista, but I doubt it will work. Microsoft is guiding people away from the system tray.

e2: it does work.
That must have been what I did the first time. Thanks.

Sucks, though. :/

And what's with the low-res tray icon :wtc:?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any tips on getting a good black/dark title bar with Aero disabled? The glass wound up annoying me as visual clutter, but the standard blue non-Aero theme just looks so awful.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

c0burn posted:

Keep Aero on and untick transparency?

Better, thanks, but I'm not fond of the gradients in the bar. Better than either of the two options, but ideally, a one-colour black titlebar with perhaps some smooth, gradient edges or whatever would be best. Similar to OS X but in black, dare I say.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
That's awesome. Much better now.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Shame that it, like similar services, doesn't offer anything for x64 users. :/

ufarn
May 30, 2009

4 Day Weekend posted:

You mean ninite? I don't think any of those programs have 64 bit counterparts.
iTunes has.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Does anyone have experience using a dinky Zalman clip-on mic on Windows 8.1?

I just wanted a really basic mic for playing online, but Windows 8.1 won't even detect it, and I've run out of things to try out to fix it.

Here is a screenie; I disabled the devices that weren't working anyway.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 21, 2013

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Nope.
You're poo poo out of luck too.
You have disabled the microphone input, apparently. If it doesn't detect the microphone with that enabled (and unmuted and selected as input), have you tried looking for drivers for the VIA High Definition Audio Device? Like if you're using generic Microsoft ones, go look for them on the VIA website. Or vice versa, if you're using the VIA ones, try uninstalling them and have Windows provide you with a generic one.

I'm assuming you're talking about a non-usb mic like the Zalman ZM-Mic1 that wouldn't show up as a separate audio device.

You could also have a bad mic cable (do you have a cat?) or a bad contact in the mic in plug on your motherboard.

Some onboard audio does auto detect and it doesn't matter which of the holes you use. So you could try plugging it into the line in hole.

Whatever it is, I don't think disabling any of the stuff in the screenshot is going to help you in any way.
Turns out it actually was working; it's just that I barely get any reading on input.

I've set the volume to 100%, but I have to hold it straight to my mouth, which makes it every sensitive to breathing. The Microphone Boost is currently at 0.

Leaving the task of tacking it on to my headphones aside, are there any specific settings I should adjust to improve on this half-baked performance?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I don't know if there's a point to using antivirus on Windows after MSE, but ESET is probably the best on out there. Use MalwareBytes, if you have a feeling there's something on your computer the others aren't detecting, although it comes with a few false positives.

EDIT: Christ, I don't recall ESET being that expensive.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can someone explain to me why I got this system-reserved partition for both my HDDs - both of which have bootable Windows installations:

I'm planning on formatting my SSD (C:) and turning my mechanical HDD (E:) into a storage drive, but I'm not sure how to avoid making this happen again.

The old HDD, E:, didn't have a system-reserved partition, before I installed my SSD.

And is it safe to delete the partitions? I keep getting low-disk-space warnings for them, and it's driving me crazy.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Interesting. I don't recall ever enabling Bitlocker, and I don't use a password.

Guess the new HDD just made the partitions visible.

Just to be sure, I can change the display on the other drive's SR partition, but it's just labelled "Data". The SR drive for my own HDD is invisible.

So I'm gonna remove the other drive's SR partition, which is visible on my drive.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 18, 2014

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any good alternative to IrfanView for viewing GIFs and images in general?

I only just noticed that GIFs have really low FPS - or something - compared to viewing them in a browser.

Kinda blowing my mind that it's possible in 2014.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 27, 2014

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Gromit posted:

I use FastStone Image Viewer, and have managed to get it to very closely match early ACDSee in operation, which is my gold standard.
Thanks. ACDSee had great performance, but it has one of the clunkiest interfaces I've ever seen on Windows.

FastStone looks promising.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
FastStone looks interesting, but I'm struggling to make the interface more minimal and just fit the size of the window to the image - or vice versa for large images - as well as open images in separate windows, but no luck so far.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I am using and older HDD for storage, but I stille have the whole WINDOWS and Program folders along with all the other Windows crap.

The obvious thing to do is mark all the folders and Shift-Delete, but that seems messy as hell, so is there a cleaner way to delete everything but one or two folders?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How do I go about deleting the folders on an external drive that I don't have permission for? Windows and Program Files folders and such.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Gyshall posted:

Take ownership, give yourself full access permissions.
If I set the Allow permissions under Security, I get a "Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied".

ufarn
May 30, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Nah, you have to take ownership first. Advanced > Owner > Edit > Select yourself > Replace owner on subcontainers and objects > OK

THEN you can change security rights on everything to become yours.
Oh THERE that loving setting is. Man do I hate the Windows UI for stuff like this.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I might do that, I am still getting permission problems, and I can't figure out whether it wants me to assign another user than my own or /users/. Either way, it won't go my way.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

PirateDentist posted:

What's a good full PC backup software? It will be for a Win 8.1 desktop with an SSD and a second HDD for the bulk of the programs. I've been testing out Acronis 2015 on a trial, but it has some awful reviews for the most recent version. Could be people who don't know it's limitations or a bad version, before I spend money I thought I'd see what else is popular around here.

The main caveat is I have a 5TB Synology NAS I want to back up to. A surprising amount of popular software will happily back up to their subscription cloud or a locally attached HDD drive but tells you to gently caress right off if you have a network drive. It even took a while to figure out that Acronis will only do it with a UNC, they don't talk about it. Synology has cloud station, but that's more for individual folders.

Versioning would be nice, I don't need real time, but daily would good. I am willing to purchase something if it's a reasonable price for a single PC, IE not enterprise licensing costs.
Try bvckup 2 and see if it's for you.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What's good for editing videos - basic stuff like extracting excerpts and stuff for sharing online? Running Win8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Roargasm posted:

Windows Movie maker is ok for cutting raw footage and balancing audio, not much else though.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/essentials
Looks like it won't take my mp4 video. :/