Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I've been running Windows 7 on my Dell Mini 9 for a few days now. I think it's fantastic and definitely better than Vista. My biggest gripe with it though is the wireless networking. I don't know how they made the wireless network selection interface worse but I don't like it. It's just a popup window that tells you nothing about the network until you hover the mouse over it. I want something detailed and intuitive that tells me signal strength and whatnot. Then again, Ubuntu's isn't that much better.

I am loving ReadyBoost though. It works incredibly well in Windows 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

It looks like I pretty much have to wait a while until installing Windows 7 on my main PC. While Intel has drivers available for Windows 7 and my motherboard, Some of the drivers are either beta or don't even install properly. In addition to that I had installed the 64 bit version of Windows 7 and some applications would refuse to install properly. For instance I tried to install Firefox and the install keeps hanging. I tried the 64 bit version of Firefox and it decided to hang in the same place. I think I'll just stick with Vista for a while until things are a bit more mature. It sucks because I'd like to switch to it.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Yaos posted:

It's hard to get a "wow" feeling when going from a GUI to another GUI, it's not like going from command line only to a GUI or 2D graphics to 3D graphics. If Microsoft ever releases WinFS there may be a wow moment.

Edit: Bonus features for ATI cards in Win 7 64-bit. They decided that over 1 year was not long enough to create working drivers, they are buggy. :(

I wish they'd get the ball rolling on WinFS, we've been on NTFS for much too long. The biggest issue I could see with WinFS though is the open source community having compatibility issues. As for the Catalyst drivers in 64-bit Windows 7, I've had zero problems so I'm not sure what you're trying to do. I just upgraded to the 9.10 Catalyst drivers as well. I was actually kind of surprised by how well they work.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I can see the future of this already; Starbucks sues Microsoft for allowing Starbuck customers to "steal" WiFi access.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I've been having an ongoing issue with Windows 7 which might make me reinstall from scratch if I can't track down its cause. I will randomly experience explorer.exe crashes and they will continue to occur until I reboot the PC. After it happens the first time, from that point forward I can reproduce the crash if I simply right-click on a file or application. I've been uninstalling applications and drivers trying to narrow down the cause with no such luck. There's also some Google results that recommend removing a certain registry key but it's already been removed. Anyone else notice similar crashes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I've recently tried BitLocker for the first time in Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) and the only issue I had was a nagging bug that was causing my machine to not power completely off. If you have this problem, there's a hotfix available here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975496

That should clear up the issue.