Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
I'm thinking of preordering for the 50% off.

Can someone tell me which Win7 editions will have tablet support (ink recognition, etc)? I googled and googled and can find no answer. MS's edition comparison doesn't mention it. IIRC Vista required Professional at the least for tablet features.

And can someone comment on how well XP apps are supported without the XP VM? I'm assuming that it still has some basic compatibility (the way XP has for Win2000 and Win9X programs), just not the 100% compatibility provided by the VM. Is that right?

Edit: can someone confirm that the "50% off preorder upgrade" works for XP-->Win7? It's just that I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere but here. I don't want to buy it and find out it needs Vista.

Edit 2: snipped questions to things I found answers for elsewhere.

MachinTrucChose fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
I got myself 3x Windows 7 licenses (32-bit, 64-bit, and french 32-bit) from MSDNAA :). I'll update after the midterms, this is my only computer for now and it would be catastrophic if something went wrong during install.

GreenNight posted:

Look at it like this, if you need to use linux you can download a free linux vm and run it in vmware player.

Yeah but he's still trading a laptop for a desktop. I wouldn't do it. It's not like he can play games at work (or can he? What do sysadmins do at work when everything's fine?), so does he really need Windows 7?

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah Virtual Machine is now free for everyone using Windows 7, so you can just install linux in a vm if you still need it.

Virtual PC was always free for any (Windows) OS. And even if it weren't, VMWare Player, VirtualBox, and whatever else are free.

MachinTrucChose fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 8, 2009

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
Anyone know how to make Windows Explorer always show every folder in Details view mode in Windows 7?

I thought I had it doing that, but I just accessed an image folder on an external drive and sure enough it's scanning the entire drat thing to get me thumbnails.

The My Pictures folder in My Documents is in Details mode, and I did "apply settings for this folder for all folders of this type". Are they inventing a new type everytime there's a new extension found in the folder or something, and applying default settings every time?

On a similar note, anyone know which media player DLL I should unregister in Win7 to disable the scanning of videos to get me a thumbnail and length when I open a folder?

I'm just trying to navigate my files as fast as possible, without all the froufrou. Can't a brother get a break?

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
I'm trying to determine the reason behind frequent (a few times a day that I know of) spikes in hard drive activity that go on for a few minutes, and that can come in at the worst of times, such as when playing a game.

With Procmon I see svchost.exe doing massive I/O to files located in C:\Windows\System32\wbem\Repository. I also see wmiprvse.exe doing a lot of I/O.

So basically the culprit is WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation), a Windows service that acts as MS' implementation of WBEM (Web-Based Enterprise Management). I won't pretend I know what this actually is, even after reading the Wikipedia article. But basically it's the sort of service you leave alone, if only because the description tells you that most software will stop working when it's disabled.

So how can I find out what it's doing and why? I know we're venturing into territory best left for sys admins, but this is in the name of :science: curiosity. I can't have something raping my hard drive every few hours and not want to know why.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
Anyone know of a basic indexing tool?

I don't want something that watches a directory and runs as a service, I want something simple where I tell it to index the contents of C:\folder at the push of a button, then I can search the plaintext contents of that folder and see results (and only that folder). Basically on-demand indexing. I don't care if it doesn't integrate with Explorer, in fact I don't want it to.

Everything I'm finding through Google has its tentacles all over the place, and wants to manage indexing itself.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
Is there a Windows 7 program that will run an installer for me(ie, a random setup.exe for any program), while recording everything the installer does in terms of registry entries and files created? Bonus points if it provides a script or something to let me undo everything, bringing the computer to its pre-installation state.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009

Misogynist posted:

There's a pile of software to do this, including Altiris SVS, VMware ThinApp, Sandboxie, Spoon Studio, BoxedApp, Cameyo, and a pile of others. Out of these, only Cameyo is free.

The featuresets (and prices) run the gamut from home-user through enterprise, so check them out. One of them will probably do what you want.

Thanks! It's for home use.

Do you have any experience with this sort of software? How low-level do they go? Will they remove a game's DRM drivers when I delete the package/sandbox? Will DRM refuse to install? Is there any noticeable CPU overhead to using them?

I'll try to answer my own questions once I receive my new desktop later this week. I'll definitely check out Cameyo, and if it doesn't do the job, Sandboxie.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
I'm looking for a flexible general-purpose file organization/tagging software that is multiplatform, and likely doesn't exist, but hey, I wanted to ask.

For music I'd use it to rate a song based on custom categories (drums, guitar, lyrics). I want to do queries like "all songs, sorted by Lyrics rating descending, AND with year < 2010".
For games I'd create my own rating categories, assign tags like "local co-op".
I'd also use it for photos and videos. Basically it should work on anything.

It's been suggested to me on IRC I use filesystem metadata, but that's Linux-specific (I use both Windows and Linux), I'd need to write my own import/export scripts and always do Dropbox sync. Also I'm wary of tying it to the filesystem. I don't want to lose my notes on a game just because I deleted the ISO or the file doesn't exist on another OS.

Any suggestions? Or will I have to create my own tool?

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
What do you guys recommend for a desktop firewall?

My goal is controlling outbound traffic based on process. By default I want to block every single app from having internet access, unless I whitelist them. I want the whitelisting process to be simple, just select an executable and/or existing process. Optionally I'd like a log of accessed domains, so I could block even white-listed apps from accessing certain domains.

I tried tinywall and it sort of works, but it's pretty dumb, in that it doesn't let child processes inherit the authorizations from the process that launched it. For example, to allow git, I can't just authorize git.exe, I need to manually hunt down every single executable that git (git-pull.exe, git-push.exe, and so on) calls that could make their own network connections, and manually add them as an exception, or git operations will fail. It's not easy to detect which exe needs to be whitelisted, since most of them are short-lived processes. Additionally some apps use a network API calls that only register as "System" in tinywall's logs instead of the actual executable, which makes it even harder.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009

c0burn posted:

Can I ask why?

I just don't like the phone-home mechanisms that a lot of modern applications have. Desktop apps almost never have a good reason to connect to the Internet. When they do, I want it to be on my terms.

I don't want to have to worry "what could this freeware application be sending to their server". It's much simpler if I just block them from having internet access. I know, I know, not very cool thing to say to the "torch app requires all your contacts and SMS history" generation. I just want this, without people trying to convince me it's futile.

I know about Windows Firewall's advanced features but the interface is terrible, it's not designed for end-users, it's almost command-line-like in its design (that is, everything is declarative, the fact that we're using a GUI are not taken advantage of to infer some things). I shouldn't have to mention how important convenience is when using a computer. It also lacks the features that I want, which is for child processes to inherit the block permissions of their parent.

MachinTrucChose fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 4, 2016

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
Any non-malware recommendation for Flash video downloading that would work on obscure sites? I'm trying to get an episode of a quebecois series [from this link](http://filmvf.ws/les-beaux-malaises-saison-1-streaming.html/1).

Flashgot for Firefox is usually perfect, but it fails to detect this video. youtube-dl is site-specific and this isn't one of the supported sites. That's all I know. Everything else seems to be extremely sketchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

Video Download Helper on Firefox, perhaps?

No luck. It seems to be site-specific as well.