Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Is there a decent source for desktop gadgets? I want a nice weather one and I'm not impressed with the ones available from Microsoft's site :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Is anyone else sharing media to Xbox Media Centre (on an original xbox)? I had to disable 128bit encryption and turn off password protected sharing to get it working at all. Browsing Windows 7 shares from XBMC seems really slow for some reason.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

DarkPrime posted:

It works just fine for me. Are you using wireless or wired?
Wired, it was fine under WinXP, but it's a bit sluggish with Windows 7 for some reason.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I don't know what the gently caress's going on. I downloaded a copy of Ultimate from MSDN at work (we're an MS Gold Partner and have been told to use our VLK at home by our MS rep) and the install went fine, my only problem is this:

Any time I try to run Windows Update or install/uninstall something Windows 7 takes a while trying to create a system restore point

Event Viewer says this:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error DeviceIoControl(\\?\Volume{35b0a987-c5cc-11de-beda-806e6f6e6963} - 0000000000000138,0x0053c008,000000000044D680,0,000000000044E690,4096,[0]). hr = 0x80070079, The semaphore timeout period has expired.

I'm running Win7 off an IDE hard drive, I'm considering repartitioning, switching cables around and installing it on the SATA drive unless someone can help me out here :(

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
When I set explorer to Detail view it takes AGES to load the "Date" for the files, it does this on both video and image (RAW) files. Under Windows XP it was instantaneous, what gives?

psylent fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 3, 2010

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

4 Day Weekend posted:

Someone posted this earlier:

Right click the folder > properties > customize tab and optimise for general items.
Fantastic, that was annoying the poo poo out of me.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Does Windows 7 handle cached profiles differently to XP?

I've got a domain connected Windows 7 PC that needs to be disconnected from the network and shared amongst two-three users.

The problem is that once the PC is disconnected from the network, the only login that will work is the LAST one we logged onto the PC with whilst it was still connected to the network. Anyone else gets a "there are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request" error.

For various reasons users need to log on to this PC with their domain accounts.

Is this normal behaviour with Win7? I remember being able to log on to older cached domain accounts on disconnected PCs without too much trouble. Is there some registry setting that the muppets who set up our SOE hosed with? Help!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

There's a registry variable that controls how many logins can be cached, so if the muppets set it to one, that would explain what you're seeing.

Here's the key that controls it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172931

I could kiss you. ;-*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Is there an app that can monitor and give stats/graphs about how much data is flowing in/out of my PC?

Resource monitor isn't quite cutting it.