Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009

Footboy posted:

To those running the Office 2010 preview: I'm currently running the Office H&S 2007 trial, which expires at the end of January 2010. At this point in time, would I be better off buying an Office H&S 2007 license, or should I hold off and wait for 2010?

Well the Office 2010 beta expires on October 2010, so you could download that and still have Office when your Office H&S trial expires.
Personally I like Office 2010, but I don't notice much of a difference between it and 2007. The best part is definitely OneNote + Outlook getting Ribbon interfaces and the faster boot time for the programs.
I say might as well wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009

JonTheDon posted:

Couple of questions if anybody can help with either please:

1) I'm upgrading somebody's Vista laptop to Windows 7 - but I know 7 doesn't come with Windows Mail. Should I install Windows Live Mail before upgrading it to 7, or put it on afterwards - if so, will her e-mails still be there?

2) My own Windows 7 install has been misbehaving a little, and I want to do a fresh install of it. Can I do a fresh install onto the same hard disk, and will it then move my existing install into 'Windows.old' ?

Thanks for any help.
@2, yes, just make sure you don't press something like "Format" during installation, that would obviously just clear the entire partition with your stuff on it.

Not too sure on #1, but I think either would work...

Anywho, for those of us running Windows 7 with a resolution lower than 1024x768 (Like on our netbooks), I know that we don't get a fancy boot up screen without certain BIOS's like on my Eee....but if it turns into the Vista boot up screen, is it possible to use the various Vista boot screen changers around the net to change it, or would that screw up the install? :ohdear:
On a similar note, is there any way to get the old boot screen from Windows 7 build 6801?

Yeah, I'm aware it's just a boot screen :downs:, I'm just curious if there's a way to make it less ugly aside from a No GUI boot.

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009

Schpyder posted:

First, it's called Aero Flip 3D, and no, there's really not any good way to change its behavior. Second, if alt-tab (which now shows live Aero Peeks of the windows) is too small for you, you might want to try Switcher, which is basically a Vista/Win7 version of OSX's Exposé feature. It's small and unobtrusive, and you can customize the key combo to activate it (I use F12), along with some other features.
I personally put Switcher on Windows Key+Tab, and disable Aero Flip 3D from activating through the registry (I think there's a Global User Policy that also disables it), therefore "replacing" it with Switcher. Works wonders for me.

I've been using TeraCopy for awhile, can anyone explain to me why it's a bad idea to use it over a network? I haven't ever tried, but I'd like to know the specifics out of curiosity. :)