Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

sisonpyh posted:

I'm unable to run any games through Steam with Win 7 Home 64bit (OEM builders version). Not sure what's going on.

Try making sure that Steam runs as administrator to start with. Also Half Life 2 will look like it's hard locked for the best part of five minutes if you install it, but patience will pay off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

quote:

I looked briefly and couldn't find it either, but would appreciate it as well!

The original and official program for Windows XP was BootVis, but it created so many problems for Microsoft for people who thought it would actually speed up boot times that they removed it and told everyone that prefetch caching was the best thing since nipples.

This appears to be a pretty good roundup of the start up, and I'm finding the event viewers slightly more friendly compared with XP;

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1401-startup-programs-change.html

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

LordKain posted:

Next issue is Firefox (and Chrome, as I want to test it). I have read a few times online that Firefox (and Chrome) is not compatible but MS says it is. Is MS right?

I can confirm that Chrome is working well; Windows 7 64-bit ultimate. No issues at all.

I'm currently also using the Comodo AV/Firewall combo with little or no issues since AVG annoyed me enough to go looking for something else.

Civilization IV is, however, toast.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dameius posted:

Can you elaborate?

Well, it seems the weight of opinion is against me, so it might just be some 'complications' I'm having with the Radeon 5770. It installs, warns me about aero and turns it off and I switched it to compat mode. After about a hour, it'll just crash back to the desktop.

I'd just put it down to it being too old, but I'll give it another fiddle with soon.