Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
This is a bit stupid as well but should I really get a 64 Bit version for my Dell Vostro 1400? Dell offer "Vista 32 Bit" drivers on their site and there is no other option for 64 Bit drivers. Will these work with the 64 Bit version? Thanks!

E: The Vostro 1400 is not listed here. So I guess there's no way.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

I plan to use one of those stand-alone hard-drives as a back up for photos and texts mostly. My questions are:

Is there free software that would read every single file, every bit basically, and verify it is still readable and the HD is working correctly? If this is even what people do and there isn't some better way to do that.

Would I be correct in that the smaller (2.5") HD's are more sturdy than the bigger ones as they are designed for use in a laptop?

Thank you very much.

\/ Didn't think of the Windows utility. Thanks!

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 3, 2011

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

I just spend 5 hours fixing a neighbours computer which is 12 years old and has 64 MB of RAM, running Windows XP. I reinstalled Windows XP which broke her old Word and Excel installs (although they are still on the HD).

How can I enable her to write Word and Excel files again? I can't seem to find the .exes and they wouldn't start anyway as these programs are not installed properly anymore (is there a trick?).

I'm afraid Open Office won't run on a 64MB machine, would it?

Is there a lightweight word processor that would run on that oldtimer? Perhaps Abiword? What's the equivalent for excel?

Thanks!

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

(hopefully this is the correct thread for this)

I've had problems with utorrent 2.2.1 for a while. It tells me a torrent is finished and the files indeed seem to be under the "files" tab, but when I take a look at them from the explorer, a few still have the .!ut suffix, meaning they are still incomplete. Some other, seemingly complete files are not finished. When I force a re-check it finds some incomplete files and downloads stuff again, but they never finish. Happened a few times now. Does this point to a software error, or perhaps a hardware one (hd)? I have Windows 10. Thanks!

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 17, 2016

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

So it's a bug. Good to know. Tried out Tixati instead, which is just as good. Thanks!

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

I wanted this in 1920x1080, so I downloaded it and opened it in Gimp (after some googling anyway). But it doesn't help much. All it does is opening the same low-res pattern, no matter what values I type in. Is there an easy way to open postscript files for free and edit them?

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

Don't know if it qualifies as easy, but Inkscape is probably the answer. If you just want to remove the text and export it as a giant png or something, that should be feasible. Text, fade and pattern seem to be separate layers in the eps file. That much should also be 30 seconds of work to someone with Adobe Illustrator, so maybe someone wants to help you out.
That's pretty awesome! Could you maybe remove the fading too, so I can tile play around with it easier and tile a smaller version? That would be great. :)

e: Thank you too, MREBoy! :)

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

I am so happy right now. :cheers:

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Got this on my English Windows 10 installation today: http://imgur.com/a/3vAaR Could somebody translate it? Malware or wrong language patch notification?

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Uh, okay. Thanks for telling me!

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Hopefully this is the right thread. Planning to backup some data I have been keeping for ages (photos and documents). That's around 50 GB I don't want to lose, but won't look at for years (if ever). I'm about to buy a LG Electronics BluRay Slim Portable BP55EB40 USB in order to burn Millenniata (M-Disc) Blu-Rays.

Should I get 2 25GB or 1 100GB? It probably does not matter. I'll probably get two identical copies just in case.

Can I start a session and then later add another session, like with a DVD? There shouldn't be any risk of data loss, I hope.

I'll just use Windows 10 to burn files. That should be enough, right? Anything I am missing?

Thank you very much.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Lysandus posted:

Tried foobar and couldn't find a component that would do what I wanted.
VLC lets you resume play from where you stopped listening or viewing files if I am not mistaken. May need to enable it in the options though.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

My dad wants to be able to save documents he creates in PDF form, sort the documents into a given order; then collate those PDFs into a single document in that order. Is this something that windows 10 can do out of the box, and if not, can anyone recommend reputable software that can do this. Bonus points if it's free software, but he doesn't mind paying if he needs to.

PDFill PDF Tool (Free) would be an alternative if you don't want to install Java .

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

I added a ssd to my PC while I still had the old Boot-HD installed. Then I installed Win 10 on the ssd. Then I removed the old Boot-spinner-HD. Windows 10 still gives me the option to boot from two sources. One works (the ssd) the other does not (the hd is not present anymore). Is there a way to remove this dialogue where it lets me choose the windows installation? Thank you very much.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Worked perfectly. Thanks, zebez!

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

I bought a Windows 10 Pro Key a year ago, activated a laptop with it and forgot about it. Now I wanted to sell that laptop and reinstalled Windows Pro, but couldn't activate it, even when pressing "activation problems". It took me a while to find the key again, but with it activation worked as it should. If I had not found the key I guess I would have sold the machine without Win 10 Pro (but the ebay auction was up already). Now I am a bit worried. I thought Windows remembered on which machine it was installed (mainboard counting as far as I know). There is another notebook I am selling with a bought key and I guess I'll have to retrieve it. Not really a question, just expressing my surprise Windows wouldn't always activate when the hardware didn't change at all.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

This may not be the right thread for this but I guess it can't hurt. I have about 430 images I want to enlarge using an AI algorithm as the results I have seen look great (4x or even better 8x). Is there a way to do this for free, installing something on my PC? Making use of one of those many sites that offer such a service would cost me 20-30 dollars and I am afraid they won't let me unsubscribe easily. Thank you! Alternatively I am willing to spend money on software I would own (as opposed to subscribe to for a limited time).

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Looks like it, but they're just hiding their credit-based system a little better than others. :-)

quote:

But given my preference for FOSS (shut up I know this is the Windows thread) then this looks like it could suit your needs https://github.com/upscayl/upscayl
Hey, this is great and works well (on windows too). And such a fast answer too! Thank you kindly, Tesseraction! :horse:

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

powderific posted:

If you decide to spend money I dropped $100 on Topaz labs upscaler thing and it worked great: https://www.topazlabs.com/shop
Thanks, but "Upscaly" is perfect for me. I'll keep that in mind though.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Okay, this is a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. I used a simple image converter (XNConvert) and set the in- and output folder for the original and converted files. Eventually, while I was working on them, I renamed and deleted some folders. I chose another folder to convert images and told it to start. Then I noticed that I forgot to change the output folder, which did not exist anymore. The app did something though so where are the converted images? If I remember correctly, I could access them trough the app I was using and delete them by pressing 'del' in the "choose folders" dialogue but the folder would not show up in Windows Explorer. Which made me think over the years I had this happen a few times. How is this possible and how can you see these invisible folders in windows explorer? They still take up space I guess. Sorry if my description is confusing.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

My old father is starting a Microsoft office course soon. He wants me to buy a new laptop for that. I loath the idea to pay 74 Euros for a year of having the privilege to write letters on my computer. Does the free (with ads) Office Starter still exist? Where do I get it? I am getting confusing results. Thank you.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

You guys are awesome! Thanks again.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

After major updates Windows 11 goes through the whole spiel of asking about interests, offering Office, etc. which is especially annoying when this happens to old relatives I can't help immediately.

I seem to remember you can turn that off, but I can't seem to find it again. Was that only possible for Win 10? Thanks.

EDIT: It was options/config - system - notifications - additional notifications - turn off those three options

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

In Thunderbird (email) there is a menu above your email addresses on the left where you can further specify if you'd like to see the total number of mails or how much space they use. You can also make that menu disappear. How the heck do you get it back once it is gone? Thank you!!!!