Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Balls... I just found out the hard way that network backup was removed in Windows 7 Home Premium. Is there a good-enough imaging tool for Windows/GPT disks, preferably one which can run without shutting down the computer? I tried DriveImage XML, but it only gave me the option to backup my ReadyBoost flash drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
What command did you use to pull that off?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

LooseChanj posted:

Directories are files.

Technically, yes. In user experience, no; Windows and MacOS put a lot of effort into obscuring that.

To the original problem, is there a way to go back to the original drive and just get the library file again? If you can, importing it into a new iTunes install is as dead simple and holding shift when you start iTunes, which prompts you to select a library to use.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
On my Server 2008 R2 box, I have a 4-disk Dynamic Disk RAID array. Whenever I connect after the drives have spun down for power-saving, they spin up again in sequence rather than simultaneously. Any way to change this behavior?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Errrgh, is it? I don't recall seeing any options like that, and the thing's running headless, so it's a pain in the rear end to get to the BIOS.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Before I rebuilt, I had an nForce Intel board that would bluescreen when going into sleep. The network controller also didn't work, and it didn't do RAID 5 stably (though it did RAID 0, 1, 10 fine). I figured it was the Southbridge being lovely.

If I were to face that problem again today (and I weren't dealing with a refurbished, $40 board I only intended to last a few months), I would RMA the mainboard.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Why is this a problem, exactly?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
http://www.codenamewindows.com/?p=1481

New stuff, but nothing killer-diller for your average Joe. I think just about the only new feature for home desktop types is OS-level support for the AVX instructions on Sandy Bridge, which means some day there may be software that uses those.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

StickFigs posted:

I really like the Windows 7 Sticky Notes, but I just wish that it wasn't a separate app but instead just a desktop gadget because I hate having the Sticky Note icon in my taskbar at all times.

Does anyone know if some really cool person ported the Sticky Notes to function as a desktop gadget yet?

You could try setting up Rainmeter and customizing a skin to include some big ol' sticky note functions. It's a little non-intuitive to customize, but you can get a lot of mileage out of it. The built-in note applets basically just hold a text file that you can edit (and optionally add markup language to for formatting) by clicking on the note.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Or just make a symlink. Or right click on the folders inside your user folder, go to the Location tab, and click the handy "Move" button.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

WorkingStiff posted:

Does anyone know if there is a way to use the power settings available on a laptop on a pc? Specifically the ability to dim the screen /adjust display brightness after a specific amount of time?

Whatever your hardware supports, it should all be there in the power options, just not with the option of a second set of settings for battery mode (unless you have an UPS). Dimming depends on the display, though - obviously, desktop monitors tend to have brightness adjusted by buttons on the front rather than software control. Display dimming requires an interface to backlight controls controlled by the computer itself.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Here's a third way: Why not use x64 Win 7 Pro and use XP mode for your various tools and gizmometers? Or do you know it wouldn't work virtualized?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Yes. Minimum virtual memory varies based on how much RAM you have, and at 4 GB your practical minimum should be 2 GB. It's a much better idea to let Windows manage virtual memory. It will reserve an amount equal to RAM size which will sit unused or expand as needed.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
W7 SP1 is released for public consumption.

I wonder when it will hit Windows Update?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Cheeky fuckin' Windows Update realized it was there and downloaded it itself halfway through my pick of the dedicated installer. Welp.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Gilok posted:

Anyone got a link to a tool or tutorial that'll let me remove ei.cfg from the windows 7 SP1 iso? The one in the OP doesn't work on it yet apparently.

EDIT: I tried IsoBuster already, no joy.

eicfg_removal_utility.exe sets the "deleted - ignore this file" flag for ei.cfg on the ISO image. Because it's a bit-flip, it's reversible, too.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
In the time it took you to post that question and get a response, you could have been 1/3 done with the first install. And the registry hack is just changing a single key.

But the best way to upgrade from Vista to W7 SP1? Well, there are multiple ways, but the most straightforward is to boot from the install CD, do a custom (advanced) install, and blow away the old partitions from Vista when you select where to install. Then, when Windows is installed, run the Service Pack 1 updater.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It certainly helps with blowing away the old install.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Derp, sorry :downs:

It's tough to find that addressed exactly, but I think it will work to put the upgrade key in on the full install disc, yes.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Can you at least disable the Lunix drive in the BIOS?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
True story: Because of the horrible drivers, I thought my X-Fi XtremeMusic had blown itself around the time I switched to Windows 7 because it tossed out an explosive burst of static and then only played crackles. Five months later, I just happen to see the patch notes for a week-old X-Fi driver update with the following tidbit:
  • Fixed issue with X-Fi Windows 7 drivers which causes persistent static
Luckily, I had no longer needed the front panel inputs and I'd gotten used to the onboard, which was a warmer sound but otherwise not objectionable for its lack of the X-Fi Experience. But still, I tossed out $200 worth of sound card and front bay because I thought it had died, just because of the lovely drivers.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
You can set up the Windows backup to include a system image. You can restore that with a recovery DVD from an external drive, a spare drive, or a network share.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

jeeves posted:

Is there any easy way with Windows 7 to just connect two computers to each other for file transfers?

I know I could deal with setting up a file share and poo poo, but that would go through whatever home network (and probably max out the wireless thus resulting in a slow transfer).

I'm thinking like, pop in a cross over cable between two Win7 machines, and have them connect like that, with no need for a third party network. Or is that something that personal computers still can't do since there is such a small desire for it?

If they have Gigabit ethernet, then they should auto-negotiate a crossover connection regardless of whether the cable you use is a crossover or a standard patch cable, so just use a spare length of Cat5e/Cat6. Manually assign IP addresses to their wired network adapters, and they'll act like they're networked, and you can dump things over with a shared folder.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Nomenklatura posted:

Is there any trick to telling it just to back up the important poo poo? I'm not going to lose my poo poo if I lose my music or whatever, but system files and key documents are an entirely different matter.

Not for a system image, no. Unless you keep that stuff on a different drive/partition and unmount it before each backup.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

marmot25 posted:

Sorry for adding clutter, but figuring out how to purchase/install win7 (legally) is by far the most confusing thing I have ever tried to do with a computer. I am a student who would like to install a windows 7 that has XP mode capability using a clean install through a VM Ware Fusion (3) on my MacBook Pro.

My options at the moment seem to be 1) purchase upgrade media for win7, dig up a probably-less-than-legitimate copy of XP and install it in the VM, and install windows 7 over it; 2) do the same except find some sort of hack to let me clean install it; 3) purchase the full-price non-upgrade version. Is there really no student pricing for a clean install?

Version 3 is the only 100% legit way to do it. Version 2 is workable very easily (like, change one registry key from a 0 to a 1 and then activate or just install Win 7 twice), but without a prior Windows license, it's just as not-legit as 1.

You should go to your campus computer store. If your school is of any decent size and technical fortitude, they should sell a volume-licensed full version to students and staff for $30 or so, with a limit of one or two licenses per person (at my school you were allowed one copy each for 32 and 64 bit Ultimate, though the key for each would work for either architecture).

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Run the ClearType Tuner? (Start -> type "ClearType" -> should be first result)

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

maltesh posted:

The $30 Windows 7 Professional deal for Students is back.

http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/software/windows/default.aspx

Upgrade Edition as before, and as before you can clean install from an upgrade version. I think the instructions for doing so are still in the OP.

$30? I'm tempted just so I can backup my netbook over LAN...

--

Separate question: If you have a full or upgrade key to Win 7 Ultimate, can you enter it as an Anytime Upgrade key in Home Premium? If so, that would save me the hassle of burning an ISO.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

univbee posted:

You can definitely perform an in-place upgrade from anywhere your live OS can access, you don't have to burn a disc for it or even setup a virtual optical drive; you can literally extract the ISO to "C:\Users\JimBob\Desktop\Windows 7 Installation" and run setup.exe in there and it'll work. I don't specifically know if it'll work with the Anytime Upgrade function, but if you find out let me know.

I just dumped the 32-bit Professional for Students key into a 64-bit Home Premium install's Anytime Upgrade program, and it was accepted and is running now. Swanky.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Orgophlax posted:

I'll admit I'm pretty well behind in my PC knowledge anymore, so I'm wondering if one should still partition large hard drives for any reason other than organization?

Additional operating systems and whatever requirements those may have (ex: swap space in Linux, mdadm partitioning for multiple RAID types on the same disks). Otherwise, nope!

E: ^^^ what he said makes sense if you plan to format/reinstall often and don't want to restore personal stuff from a backup. Otherwise, still nope!

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Xotl posted:

Is there a separate Windows 7 Tablet edition, or does any old version of 7 have Tablet PC support? I'd like to buy a copy of this Windows 7 Pro upgrade offer for students, but I'm not sure if it will be useful for the Asus EEE Slate tablet I have.

All versions of Windows 7 except for Starter have tablet functions. By default, they are hidden until you have installed a Pen or Touch device, at which point you get all the shiny parts of the old XP Tablet Edition plus whatever the device's drivers add. You can also adjust them back to hidden bit-by-bit if, say, you don't like having the pen/touch keyboard tab visible all the time.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

BlackMK4 posted:

Welp, apparently Lenovo and Corsair SSDs don't play nice - resuming from sleep results in a BSOD and apparently using hibernate doesn't work at all, and now I am stuck in an infinite boot loop.

Your computer can't come out of hibernation.
Your computer will be rebooted. Any information that was not saved before the computer went into hibernation will be lost.

Yeah, same poo poo every reboot. Ideas?

When in the process does that come up? Is there enough time to mash F8 or tap escape to pause the restore?

I have a terrible, brute-force idea: plug the drive into another PC and delete hiberfil.sys. Or maybe you could start to a LiveCD or recovery disc and edit boot.ini to do a safe boot instead of attempt to come out of hibernate, then reboot to normal from there.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
The reason why Android booster apps work is that the phones sometimes come with criminally low RAM (as low as ~128 MB), and you can't add more, plus you have little control over the background applications. Your computer comes with much more RAM, you can add more easily and cheaply, and you have fairly fine control over background processes.

If your computer is slow because you're running out of RAM (and not because it's just old and not fast anyway), the problem is either that you don't have enough RAM (solution: stick more in) or something is using too much (misbehaving/buggy program, virus, user error keeping 250 different YouTube tabs open).

If you feel your computer really is abnormally slow, post in Haus of Tech Support and I or someone else will help you with figuring out what might be using too many resources and/or what RAM is a good buy for your PC.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Mak0rz posted:

I'm designing some things to use for my MSc thesis project. I'm doing things on paper right now, but I would also like to have digital versions of what I'm doing.

Is there a free design program out there I can use for this? All it needs to do is be able to set a scale (i.e.: x pixels = y centimeters), draw simple lines, and measure angles between lines.

Any ideas?

I haven't tried it personally yet, but have you given Google Sketchup a shot? http://sketchup.google.com]

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
You can try Canon's ZoomBrowser/ImageBrowser software, which comes with a toy called PhotoStitch. Page therefor. It's intended for anyone who's bought a Canon camera, and I'm not sure if it will work/if it's technically :filez: without such a camera.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Over the Internet? Probably best setting up an SFTP server on each PC you want to act as a destination for files. Pick one and try it out? Maybe start with Core FTP server. You will have to open firewall ports and forward ports from your router to make this work, as well as know your external IP address; there's no "run and it's done" solution for this, since direct file transfer access is a big security concern.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

HatfulOfHollow posted:

That works when my laptop is docked, but no middle click when I'm mobile. Thankfully a co-worker just told me about shift click, which does the same thing.

Ever heard of two-finger-scroll? It does pixel-by-pixel smooth scrolling and adds tap features (like two-finger-tap = middle click) to Synaptics touchpads on laptops whose vendors didn't pay for all the fancy stuff.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Start -> Devices and Printers -> Right click on printer -> Printer Properties. That renames what the PC calls it; renaming the printer itself requires admin login to the printer.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
And you can't just start typing and change it? Try it before replying.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

dpbjinc posted:

You can only activate Office on two computers, one of which has to be a portable device (though I doubt it checks that). If you're trying to transfer Office to a new computer, you'll have to call support and get them to activate it for you.

Late, but a correction: each personal copy is licensed for one desktop and two laptops. At least, this was the case with Office 2007 and prior, personally verified when MS issued me a new key after I activated a dozen times and locked my key while changing motherboards and laptops.

Corvettefisher posted:

Is there anyway to tell server 2008r2 to turn on machines at a given time? Like wake all computers on lan at 2:00AM, I want to be able to run my Wsus and backups then, but not sure how.

Instead of creating a basic task, use "Create task..." for the whole enchilada of options. Under the Conditions tab, you get a few options under the Power subsection. The one you want is "Wake the computer to run this task." Be sure to test it to see if it works.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

fishmech posted:

Not quite. Here's the deal, with Office 2007 and 2010 at least.

Starter (which gets included with some computers along with your McAffe trial and such): Has a license only for the one computer it came with

Home and Student: Has license for 3 computers. It doesn't matter what kind of computer they are, as long as they aren't being used for "business purposes" you can have it installed on any 3 computers at any one time and each copy may be used at the same time all of the other copies are being used.

Home and Business, Professional, Professional Academic: You may install on two computers, one "main" and one "portable" and they're supposed to be owned and used by the same person, and shouldn't be used at the same time.

Any volume licensed version instead of retail purchased Home and Student/Home and Business/Professional/Professional Academic: Can be installed on as many computers as you have licenses

Criminy. Licensing is complex. For Office 2007 Enterprise (academic, student personal copy) it's 1+2 licensing like Home and Student with the express stipulation of one desktop and two portables.

Suddenly Apple licensing seems appealingly simple. One license per Mac, or with App store stuff, one license per account.