Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Any Windows program that uses the "Recent Files" API will have recently opened files in its jump list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I'm a little confused about upgrade installations. In order to upgrade from an existing OS (even if you're doing a custom install) do you HAVE to start the install from inside your starting OS? Because I plan to upgrade from 32-bit XP to 64-bit Win7 and when I put in a 64-bit copy the setup will not run in a 32-bit OS.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Jam2 posted:

How do I edit the iso to install Professional without paying for a magiciso or ultraiso license?

If you have the contents of the iso copied/extracted somewhere you can create a new ISO using ImgBurn.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=11194

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Isn't Windows Live Mail suppose to show something on the taskbar button for when there's new mail? I decided to try it out and I don't get anything.

EDIT: Weird, I just got the new e-mail notification thing just now, even though I haven't actually gotten new mail at that moment. Maybe it's not working right with IMAP?

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 12, 2009

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Cizzo posted:

What the gently caress? Am I just a fail at computers because I thought it was impossible to do an upgrade from 32-bit to a 64-bit OS...

You may be having the same confusion I had a while back. When upgrading from 32 to 64 bit you have to boot off the install disc. You can't start the setup from within your current install like you can with the 32-bit version.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Expiration Date posted:

the OP doesn't specify but what free apps are there that can delete that cfg file from the RTM ISO.

I tried 3, none of them work unregistered. (Isoedit, power iso, magic iso).

Extract the contents of the ISO (WinRAR and 7-Zip can extract ISO files), delete the file, then recreate the ISO with ImgBurn.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=11194

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

MrBigglesworth posted:

So I upgraded to Home Premium 64 by booting off the DVD. The 64 bit refused to start in the 32 bit XP environment.

Confirmed that I can still dual boot back to XP and Win7 with the boot manager that is there.

I thought that the 7 upgrade would replace the XP install. Weird.

Did you install to a different partition? I installed 7 on the same partition my XP install was on and it replaced it.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Ynglaur posted:

I just installed Outlook 2016, and it refuses to connect to my Outlook.com account. I provide my email address (name@outlook.com) and my password in the Outlook pop-up box, but it never resolves.

Has anyone experienced this and determined how to resolve it? My Outlook.com account works fine in the built-in Mail app and via the web interface.

I had to reinstall Office 2016 and tried to automatically set up my Outlook.com e-mail and after a few minutes it tried to set it up as POP3 for some reason.

I went and manually set up an ActiveSync account. (m.hotmail.com for the server).

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 17, 2015

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Ghostlight posted:

Keepass is better because you aren't paying to keep your passwords on a high value target.

You don't pay Lastpass to keep anything. They used to charge for use of the mobile clients but they made that free a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

PC power supplies are dual voltage, you should be fine with just using the appropriate cable.