Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I made the mistake of attempting a Windows Backup (which hung) and now I've got a flag in the system tray saying there's a backup in progress. I can't see any way to abort the backup, which happened like 3 months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Parachute Underwear posted:

Open the Control Panel and click the address bar. Copy and paste "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Backup and Restore" and you can change the settings there.

That was the first place I tried. Nothing there says anything about an ongoing backup I can abort.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The only other place I can think of where you could access an ongoing backup is through the Action Center itself. Expand the Maintenance area and it should say it's in progress or something similar. If not, then the service hosed up somehow.

Yeah, it says there's a backup in progress, but clicking the link just leads me back to the control panel section where there's no way to cancel it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't know, then. :( I've heard stories of people whose Windows Backup just broke and stopped working. What happens if you disconnect the drive it's using to back up to?

I figured it out, I just had to start another backup and then abort it immediately before it could time out.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is there a site where I can get direct downloads of Windows 7 updates in a nice little list or something? I'm getting poo poo speeds from microsoft through every single program I've tried that says it does this, when the downloads don't time out entirely.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

EDIT 2: Great, UltraVNC triggers a false-positive from MSE :haw:!

It's not a commonly installed application and obviously a lot of malware would want to remotely control an infected PC.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

If memory serve Windows 7 ships with IE8, so if you're lucky enough to have physical installation media from your computer you could install that to a VM and decline to install IE9 from Windows Update. I don't think you would run afoul of licensing requirements if you don't enter a license key and don't use it beyond 30 days or however long it gives you. I could be wrong about that though so I would make sure before doing that.

Yeah be really careful, Microsoft might send the license police after you.

Seriously though, Microsoft doesn't really care about this stuff as long as you're adhering to the spirit of the license and not passing it around. They don't even enforce their own license terms on OEM copies of Windows.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

In Unix-based systems, there are some things that just will not work if their permissions or owners get changed from what is expected. For instance, 'chmod -R 777 /' would be a Very Bad Thing. Is Windows similar in this regard? I'm not talking about denied access type errors, more like "The ACL for this file isn't exactly the way I expect it to be, so I'm taking my ball and going home."

I had something like this happen once because of a false positive from the AV I was using at the time, yes. I never did a way to fix it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

bowmore posted:

Does anybody know of a music player that removes songs from the playlist after they have been played?

iTunes can sort of do this with smart playlists. Just have one of the criteria be that the song hasn't been played in the last x number of hours.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Medullah posted:

I'd say scrap it and just go buy a $200 junk laptop which will be better than that one.

You underestimate just how poo poo today's $200 laptops are a lot of the time. My wife's $200 laptop struggles with Youtube videos and it's a Toshiba.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Serious question: what's the advantage of using KeePass over just using a text file with passwords in it? KeePass is slightly more of a PITA than a text file, and I'm thinking if someone got access to my PC I'm pretty much screwed either way since they could just install a keylogger or find some other way of getting around KeePass.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Gromit posted:

Every now and again someone will post "I taught this neural network to make recipes or movie synopses" etc after teaching it from some text data source. I admit I've not Googled too much but are there freeware tools a simpleton can download that lets you point it at a source of input and play with the layers to get reasonable output or are they all custom-coded and too complex for non-programmers to play with?

You'd almost certainly need to be a programmer to get anything useful out of AI libraries.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I use CUETools to rip CDs.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There's still tons of music released on CDs that isn't available to stream or buy on iTunes.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Klyith posted:

So does Apple not let people who bought music from them re-download in whatever format they currently support?

You had to pay, and eventually they removed the option to pay. Now the only way is to subscribe to iTunes Match.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Remember when everyone was all excited for the sidebar and then 95% of us ended up turning it off after a few days?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

As pathetic as it is to say, it's best to unplug your network cable when you install Windows 10 so it'll let you make a normal user account.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Are you sure the drive meets the requirements to be formatted that way? Like maybe there's a maximum size?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think Microsoft actually gives much of a poo poo about the Surface.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

hello alzheimer's thread, I vaguely remember reading about a "tiling window manager" sort of thing for windows where you'd hold modifier keys and drag where you wanted the window to go, and it divided the screen into presized "chunks" that your movements would snap to. It wasn't DisplayFusion but something along those lines in terms of the ability to do monitor splitting and so on.

I think the one I saw looked like an amateurish or powertoys sort of site rather than a big commercial product (but if there's an actual github project or a commercial product that does that, fire away). And this was for Windows not Linux. I absolutely cannot find this in my history.

does that tickle any neurons for anyone?

Windows 11 does this

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Medullah posted:

I know if I start a Windows 10 install from scratch with a 7 Ultimate key it will install Windows 10 Pro, but there's no way to use a 7 key to upgrade to Pro from an already installed Home, right? Got a new latpop and it only has Home.

You can upgrade an existing install, that's been a feature for a while now.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Windows (local account)

Pretty sure there's some dead simple way of getting back into a normal account if you forget the password. It's not intended to be high security.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

I'm not sure where to ask this, but I need something to break me out of playing a game that's sucking up 100% of my attention. I'm running Windows 10 on my desktop at home.

I sometimes sit down to play a game - Civ VI, Skyrim, there are others in the last few months - with the intention of playing for an hour and a half to two hours, but I'll get lost in the game and sit there for five or six hours. This causes problems. I've tried things like setting an alarm on my phone or having a clock in my line of sight but I tend to just silence the alarm and ignore the clock. Yesterday, Civ VI crashed after I'd been playing for about five hours and that jolted me out of it enough for me to walk away from the computer. Something slightly less drastic than a surprise software failure is what I'm looking for.

I think what might help is a program running in Windows that can interrupt a full-screen game with something I need to do that breaks my attention away from the game. I know there are programs that work with a browser to limit time on specific websites, is there something that works in just Windows, or perhaps through Steam? Most of my playing recently has been through Steam but I have other games, too.

If there's another thread somewhere better suited I'm happy to move this question. Thanks.

This sounds like a mix of hyperfocus and time blindness, maybe look into getting tested for ADHD.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

Update to my addiction-management question.

Steam's family controls only limit what games different family members have access to, not for how long.
Windows 10 comes with lots of family controls that look useful from their descriptions, but I cannot figure out how to set them up. The instructions in Windows for adding a device to a child's account do not correspond with what options I have in Windows Settings. The key step is to go into Settings and get to the My Family list, and choose "Allow" under the options for the child account. No such button exists. I spent the last 20 minutes going around in circles in MS Help.

So, a real Windows question: how do I configure a child's account to limit screen time? Windows 10, desktop, I'm in Australia if that matters.

It you really want to deal with the problem through technology you should probably buy something like Cold Turkey which is intended to block distractions. I don't know whether it has the specific features you're looking for though. I guess you could probably whitelist the exe for the time period where you want to play, and block it at other times.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Anyone know what the deal is here...

I bought a key online for Office 2021 and it worked for about a month and a half and now I get an error after reinstalling Windows. I've found absolutely no help online and there's basically no option in Office to do anything other than buy another key or log in through a different account. It's not installed on any other PCs of mine and I haven't changed any hardware. It shows as purchased under my Microsoft account but there's not really any option to deactivate previous installations or anything like that. Whether I log into my Microsoft account or try to re-enter the CD key I get the same screen saying it's installed on another PC and no option to do anything but purchase another key or use a different account.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

Contact support to transfer your license. It is still registered to the computer from before you reinstalled it.

It's the same computer, nothing changed other than reinstalling Windows. If they're tying activations to particular Windows installs they should let you deactivate it in some automated way that as far as I can tell doesn't exist. There doesn't seem to be phone activation for Office 2021 either.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

nitsuga posted:

Try following this troubleshooting guide: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/unlicensed-product-and-activation-errors-in-office-0d23d3c0-c19c-4b2f-9845-5344fedc4380

There are links at the end for 2019 and so on. It’s MS at their finest unfortunately, but it looks like at the end you can contact support.

Thanks, none of those steps helped but I used the link at the end to contact live support and they fixed it on their end. The rep implied this problem is caused by hardware changes but there weren't any (just a normal Windows reset) so who knows...

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Node posted:

I mean, okay, I can do that, but I've already done that a few times. Installing the updates, drivers, and programs would take some time. I just want to know if that message I posted about early makes sense, and if the computer is operating just fine, or if the message might mean something else.

If you used older install media it's probably fine.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They should probably just say Windows is free for home use. We're in this weird twilight zone where you need a license still, but a license is only $5-10 and you don't have to buy it from Microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I use foobar2000 with ColumnsUI. It's resource-light and only takes me a few minutes to set it up again from scratch if I need to.