Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edmund745
Jun 5, 2010
This has likely been asked before, but we're on page 385 or something. So anyway: what options are there to idiot-proof a Win7x64 PC?

I have a relative who, between them and their lived ones, can't keep a computer working more than about three months. Their particular weakness seems to be clicking on the popups that say "your computer has a virus, click here to scan".

I don't want to be mean to them but also don't want to be bothered,,,, and (since it is a relative) charging them to fix the same thing over and over again counts as being mean. The last time I re-installed Win7 and MSE, I set the security of everything to "high",,, but they never update anything, or leave the computer on all the time. So I would bet that the updates/MSE scans never happen. Plus somebody keeps clicking on stupid poo poo.

Linux is a no-go, Firefox and NoScript is a no-go (they'll just keep using IE).

I am thinking Deepfreeze, or anything else like it. What else is there like it?
I thought of (having them pay for) a pro version of Windows that has real user accounts, but that's $140 or so at least. DeepFreeze appears to be $35 a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edmund745
Jun 5, 2010
In the Dorkroom I asked about software to make web-page galleries of photos.

It needs to support resizing photos, generating thumbnails, and do sorting with tags. Some album programs already allow you to use tags, but I want LOTS of tags. Like, 300 tags minimum. 500 would be good. 1000 is more than likely enough.... But you get the idea--I want tags out the rear.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3565429#post418504469
Is there anything like this out there, or will I just be doing it myself?

The ultimate goal of this is that I want a DVD that shows family pictures on a bunch of web pages.
1--Each page will have a bunch of thumbnails that are links to open the larger version of the same image.

2--Each page will have a subject (like "Aunt Millicent" or "grampa's farm") any photos tagged with that subject will be collected and shown on that web page. Of course this means that the same thumbnail and photo might appear on multiple pages, if the photo shows a group of individually-tagged people--but the PHOTO would only be present once on the disk/web site files. It would just have multiple HTML references to it in different pages.

3--Identifying duplicate photos by content would be great, but I'm not holding my breath there (though now I am *kinda* turning the idea over in my head, seeing how it might be attempted).

This can be done manually of course, but there is several thousand photos to include in all. There is probably 3500 already, and at least that many more to do. It is not practical to do this without machine assistance.

I could write a program to do it myself, but I'd be willing to consider just buying anything out there that already does it. Up to $100 or so... :|

edmund745
Jun 5, 2010
Short version:
How do you make animations in HTML5? (that are interactive, not video, GIF files or webm's)

Longer version:
I have an ancient copy of Adobe LiveMotion, which was their Flash editor for a couple years, ~15 years ago when Macromedia Shockwave/Flash was the thing. LiveMotion was a keyframe-style editor that you could make freeform clips in but it was mainly meant for creating website menus.

They killed Flash off in HTML5 or whatever, and it is said that there's other better/more secure ways of doing it now.
How does you do that?
Like, what is the file standard even loving called? I don't even know what I'm looking for here..... Mainly I am wanting the general info on how this works now.

I've found web pages where there is free web-based animation editors, but I am very reluctant to even bother learning to use any of them because the result is not "mine".
It results in a file that is hosted on some company's server that I can link to, but can't control.
I want a program that runs on my own PC and produces files that I can put on my own website, so I don't have to worry about some freebie poo poo-bag company messing with my web content without warning me.

Also I am a cheap bastid. I don't want to spend a lot of money on this, at least for now. So,,,, Adobe and so on probably make software for this, but it likely costs too much to consider just to do occasional small things with.

edmund745
Jun 5, 2010
I have an ancient (year 2001) copy of Adobe GoLive (website editing and management software) that I want to replace. It has a couple major issues and a few more minor ones and I figure I got my money's worth, so I want to get something current.

I want these things:
1) the software MUST have a treeNode view that shows the files and folders, on the local PC and the remote server, and it must allow you to set the file names and structures. (it cannot use a proprietary file format; it must allow using regular images and HTML/CSS/javascript files)
2) the software MUST have a WYSIWYG editor also, as that's how I usually work
3) the software MUST be able to do HTML editing
4) I don't want any server-based software; this has to run on the local PC.

Another couple of requirements would be--
5) I don't want a subscription, so Adobe is out of consideration (that's as bad as server-side software IMO)
6) I don't want anything that forces you to use their cloud service for web space

I should also point out that the pages I generally make are very simple stuff--just plain HTML text and pictures. The software MUST allow doing this. I already have a website that is written that way and it'd be nice if there's HTML5 features included but I don't want to be forced to convert to all that at once.

I'd have thought by now that any $50 software would be able to do these things, and yet I can't find any that do. Even a few of the $100 website creation software doesn't seem to.... ?

I bought Xara Web Designer (without trying it :P ) because I'd had other Xara software in the past and liked it, but that is definitely not what I want. It is easy to make a webpage but after a couple hours of reading help files I cannot fathom how you make a website with it at all, and the only kinds of pages it seems to generate is ones where everything is an HTML5 graphic object on a canvas. It stores the "website" on the local PC as a single proprietary file format, and there doesn't seem to be any way to control how it publishes the website (I didn't try publishing with it).

Of the other ones I looked at, there was CoffeeCup HTML Editor. It has several of the things I want, but lacks the WYSIWYG editor. You can very easily preview the page in all the web browsers, but that's still not acceptable. I don't want to have to compose pages in HTML.

TinyMCE is one that seems to get better reviews, but it's a web service. I haven't tried it for that reason alone.

I tried Kompozer which is almost good--but it doesn't have any way to work off a local copy of the website files? All it will show in the treeNode view is files on a remote server. In Adobe GoLive you set up a local folder that has the website files as you want, and then it copies them to the server when you publish; this way you can view the local pages to test them first.

All the other 'most-popular' choices lack at least one of the things in #1 - #4.

I have noticed now that the WYSIWYG editors tend to hide ALL the technical details from the user, such as file structures. They are also oriented towards making graphically-intense websites, and have no way to not make graphically-intense websites.
And the software that lets you do technical things like choose your own file structures and do HTML editing,,, usually don't have a WYSIWYG editor.

WTF? Has nobody else managed to duplicate Adobe GoLive's main features in the last 15 years? Or is not giving a gently caress about the technical details the in thing now? (I've had to manually fix sites made with MS FrontPage, I know the pain and don't want it again...)

Is Dreamweaver the only good Windows choice left here?

edmund745
Jun 5, 2010

Double Punctuation posted:

Does Visual Studio do that? It's free.
I know it can color-code and edit HTML but does it have a WYSIWYG editor built-in? Also it would need to check site links.
Also it's only free for now and that could change.
I used the last website management software I bought for 15 years, that's why I don't want a web service, or any "free" software that can become "un-free" and cost $500+ in the future.

Thermopyle posted:

... Maybe if you're willing to rethink how you go about what you're doing you'll find that you can do things the modern way. ...
You mean pay the Adobe subscription? :\

I'll probably just keep on using GoLive, and use CoffeeCup when I have to. CoffeeCup does have the preview pane in it, which works well enough for what I do. It's just not quite as convenient as a WYSIWYG editor is.

There's a few problems, but the main issues that GoLive (2?) has is that unicode characters and 24-bit PNGs tend to crash it.
Also I just figured there would be something else cheaper by now that would do the same basic things.

edmund745
Jun 5, 2010

Ojjeorago posted:

No, he means stop trying to use WYSIWYG editors, because everyone else stopped decades ago after realizing how lovely and bad they are.
Who stopped using them? Dreamweaver is rated the #1 website designing/editing/management program around, pretty much everywhere you look online.
There may be other methods at the enterprise level, but this is just for personal use. It isn't for an Exxon-size corporation with a 50,000 page website.

I asked this question other places online tho, and a lot of other people said the same thing: "why do you need WYSIWYG?"
Because it's faster and easier to drag poo poo around on a page to place things than it is to edit HTML.
Why not program in machine code with Notepad? --Because it's the most difficult, slowest way of doing anything. There is no advantage to it, at all.

mutata posted:

Adobe has a few design programs like Muse or XD. I've never used them and I'm sure they're only for dirty prototypes at best.
Yea but they're all subscription now aren't they?

------------

I did find two that are fairly similar:

KompoZer (on sourceforge) is pretty simple but free -- http://kompozer.sourceforge.net/

BlueGriffon is by far the nicest candidate yet -- http://bluegriffon.org/#main
It is open source and there is a free version. The basic license costs $80 and adds some more features tho.
The free version lacks the treeNode website file view but one of the screenshots on the site shows something like that, so that may be the "project manager" that is included with the basic license.

edmund745 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 26, 2017

edmund745
Jun 5, 2010

fishmech posted:

Everyone? You won't see Dreamweaver based sites across most of the web, especially for personal sites. Half of them are straight up blogs, most of the rest are based on an existing store/general content framework or designed using a tool like Squarespace's tools for their hosting.
Yea, but that's because the CMS services made it even easier and cheaper than buying your own website creation software. Do any of you guys think that all those content-less bloggers out there know their way around any kind of website coding?

I thought I made it clear: I wanted my own software to do this, because I might end up using it a long time. I ended up using GoLive a lot longer than I thought (I'm kinda surprised it still runs at all on Win10 x64) and I might not use the next one for 16 years but I see no need to change the method every now and then just to accomplish the same thing. GoLive has specific problems handling web page features that didn't exist 16 years ago.

Besides, the host I use has the ability to support that stuff, and I explained earlier that I didn't have much interest in using it. And the two they mention by name apparently aren't very good anyway.

edmund745
Jun 5, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

You've had Wordpress, Squarespace, and static site generators all recommended to you right here...all of which require none to very little coding. These are the type of things people are using nowadays who 15 years ago were using WYSIWYG editors. And now that all those people have moved on to something better, no one is putting any effort into creating new, good WYSIWYG tools.
But the two CMS mentioned on my hosts info page are Wordpress and Drupal, and both of them have WYSIWYG editors.
So neither of them is good, right?
Because if Dreamweaver is bad because of having a WYSIWYG editor, then WordPress and Drupal must be bad also, for the same reason?

quote:

You keep asking for something that doesn't exist (good WYSIWYG editors) and you keep getting the same answer.
But I did find one? It's just that nobody here knew about it... so I returned and posted it here too.

Also most people here seem to insist that "the only way to do it now" is to use an online service and to make dynamic pages, and I never asked for either of those things.

And anyway, how would using an on online static site generator be any different than running software on your own PC to make a static-page site?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edmund745
Jun 5, 2010
This is a Flash question, but I need something that runs on Win10, so it could kinda be a Windows software question I guess,,, and I couldn't find a Flash thread ;>) . How do you view Flash websites in 2019?

My usual Edge/Firefox/Chrome browsers are all up to date. I remember reading some time ago about how Chrome & then the other browsers said they'd no longer support the Flash plugin. I specifically remember a Firefox update telling me that Flash was going bye-bye.

Occasionally I run across a China product manufacturer's website that is still 100% flash however. I get the website address off of the printed boxes of stuff I buy online.
In the past 2-3 years I've seen at least a half-dozen Chinese company websites that were still heavily using Flash....
WTH do those people use to look at it?

I could install an older version of Firefox that still had a plugin and then get the plugin, but I'm wondering if there is any other way.... Like some online site that can mirror a Flash page to HTML5 maybe?