Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

m2pt5 posted:

Are you sure it's not resetting itself to internet time servers and your other clock(s) are just slow?

Is the work laptop part of a domain, getting time settings from a domain controller that is itself off by 3-4 minutes and not set to get updates from a good clock?

Or a Netware 4 server that is 10 minutes ahead like I have :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Well, the whole point is to keep daily backups. If I'm reading/writing 2gb (or more, not really sure) worth of data from one mechanical drive to another every day, aren't I just inviting a hard drive failure?

Robocopy has a million options for what it does and does not copy. I think /xo is what you want, it will only copy newer things and leave old files alone. http://ss64.com/nt/robocopy.html is a complete list with some comments.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

On the topic of MSE does anyone have any idea about my scanning issue?

Have any folders been added to your excluded files and locations?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
RE: crossover ethernet cables. Buy a crossover adapter for a couple bucks and use your existing cables for the rare times you need this. The ones with a short piece of cable are better than the ones that plug right in.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Protocol7 posted:

Maybe I'm an idiot but I could have sworn modern NICs were smart enough to use regular cables as crossovers, despite the different pin configuration. I could swear I've done exactly that.

Basically, what Earl of Lavender said:

Some of us have old poo poo still in use :)

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
nvm

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Sab669 posted:

Recently reformatted my PC, incorrectly jotted down my product key and re-installed with an invalid key. Have since moved 400+ miles from my old apartment and have no way of getting the actual key. So, don't want to upgrade to 8.

http://www.softwareking.com/MS-Windows-7-professional.html legit afaik

Seems silly to spend money on though

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Nate RFB posted:

With Windows 7 s there any way to control/protect the positions and sizes of all or some windows upon exiting fullscreen applications? It's something that's bothered me for years and I just kind of dealt with it, but I've been playing an old PC game lately and I'm getting really tired of having to re-arrange everything afterwards. The only alternative is to close everything I care about moving around beforehand. I know it has something to do with the resolution changing, but it'd be so helpful if Windows could "remember" layouts whenever it does this so that it reverts back to the old arrangement after changing back.

E: I'm at work so I can't test this yet, but maybe this? http://www.desksoft.com/WindowManager.htm

You could always throw money at a video card that can handle games at the same resolution as your normal desktop :v:

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Dr. Tough posted:

So is there a decent place to track down a Windows 7 upgrade, or am I just going to have to search though Amazon and eBay? I've got Vista on my Mac's bootcamp side right now, I really don't want to do Windows 8.

newegg.com

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

hooah posted:

We have an Epson all-in-one wired to our router via Ethernet. On my desktop, running Windows 8.1, I can scan into Paint just fine using the "From scanner or camera" option in the file menu. On my wife's Windows 7 laptop, however, that option is grayed out. Both have the same Epson software installed and working. Epson said it's Microsoft's problem. Does anyone have any idea why I can't scan into Paint on her laptop?

Does it show up under Devices and Printers?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Deeters posted:

I'm trying to set up Remote Desktop so I can access my desktop from my laptop while at a friend's house or whatever. Can I check that it worked using my router's IP address while still on that network? I think I did everything right (port forwarding, allowing it through the firewall, etc), and it works when I just give the computer name, but giving it the IP doesn't.

Get a friend to try, otherwise find an online port scanner to see if it gets a result from that port.

Picked at random http://www.whatsmyip.org/port-scanner/

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

kri kri posted:

Whats the latest hotness for ftp file servers?

I still like FileZilla but I'm not one of the hip kids.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

What's a good, free terminal emulator that'll let me use SCP to transfer files from my windows PC to a remote Linux machine? Putty won't do it. In other words, I need to be able to SSH into a remove linux computer and then transfer files to it that are stored locally on my Windows computer.

I use filezilla because I already have it and I don't want to learn something else.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
You are in over your head, don't make this your problem.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Midnight City posted:

Aunt's laptop had their Windows product key on the bottom of the laptop instead of underneath the battery, it's naturally rubbed off by now, are there any options for having HP/MS tell me what it is?

Does the current install still work or is the recovery partition still there? You could extract the key from the install and write it down somewhere else.

You could try asking HP but I don't think you'll get anywhere.

edit: left the tab open too long

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Can anyone suggest something to turn PowerPoint into video other than PowerPoint 2013? Everything I've looked at seems shady :(

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Vin BioEthanol posted:

2 ethernet adapters in a pc, 2 separate networks, both networks use same subnetting 192.168.1.x as example.

1st network adapter #1 is our corp network

2nd network adapter 2 is a cctv-dvr that has a dhcp server.
The installer kept trying to get this working on our corp network but couldn't and now wont return calls. I'm trying to setup a temp workaround

The PC gets dhcp from the dvr but can't ping it when the corp network's plugged in.

I'd like to set a static ip and no gateway on the pc for the adapter #2 plugging in to the dvr this way everything except accessing the dvr is going to have to use the connection to the corp network.

But how will I make it so that if I try to access the dvr from that pc it will know to use adapter #2 for an ip that's just like the ones you can access from adapter #1?

This doesn't work the way you have things set up now. Change the network on the DVR if you can, otherwise you get to renumber the office.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Can you do anything to configure networking on the DVR, either give it a static address on the corp network and turn off DHCP or give it an address on another network and plug it into an interface on a router with an address on that same network?

This should be a non-issue, no reason to use a PC just for this unless you actually want that.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

hooah posted:

Any suggestions for a good tutorial on setting that up?

In FileZilla just put in the hostname, port is 22, login is your user account, and it should prompt you for a password and figure out the rest. The only downside is that I can't find a way for it to use keys instead of passwords.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Guy Axlerod posted:

Key files are in the settings screen. Settings > Connection > SFTP. Right where you would expect it, right? :rolleyes:

Well I'll be.

It can also use pageant as a key agent.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Formula tab, calculation options, manual. Calculate when you need it.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Are you sure you have the headphones on the right way?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

I've tried Googling, but I'm not sure where to look exactly.

I have to setup a program that is exactly the same on 8-10 computers.

Is there a good program that will let one mouse control the cursor on multiple networked computers? I've seen stuff like multiboxing, but it looks mostly aimed at gaming.

I am I guess looking for a recommendation on a product to use.

I used to play EVE with a guy who ran six identical setups. After trying some insane thing involving six mice connected by dowels I think he went to that Synergy software.

edit: Do you need to click on everything at the same time or do you just need to install the same thing on a bunch of computers? If its the second thing and they are on a domain you can use group policy or PDQ Deploy or any number of other programs to push that out.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I think anything more than Robocopy and a scheduled task is overkill for what I'm trying to accomplish here.

This is great up until it copies a file that was corrupted and now your backup copy is also corrupted. Or deleted, or changed, or whatevered.

I use Crashplan.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
You could also stick that in PoSH

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Why not install 8 on your own computers and learn how to use it???????

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

tadashi posted:

Does anyone know if Windows 7 service pack 1 includes the .net 4.5.1 client now? Or is it rolled up into some other package? I need it not to be installed on certain machines in my company because there's some software we use from a certain vendor that 4.5 causes issues with. I was just manually setting up one machine for testing and windows update never indicated I was installing 4.5 but suddenly there it was.

.Net 4.5 came with Windows 8, SP1 for 7 was out way before that. Something else is installing it.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Radbot posted:

Why is/was MS so goddamn annoying about mixed content errors? You can't even tell the error is there with Firefox by default, and Chrome merely shows a slightly different looking padlock icon. IE throws up "WARNING: You could get RAPED by viewing this webpage". Why the different approach?

Do you want to be raped? Probably not, and only M$ is looking out for your rear end in a top hat.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Nevvy Z posted:

This is a silly question but I can't find enough info to be sure, and I tend to trust SA more than random googling.

I recently bought an SSD and have isntalled windows on it. Is there currently any way to get my drivers, steam games, desktop settings, etc transferred from my old install?

I'd image the drive but the old drive is about twice the size of the ssd so that wouldn't be viable I think.

I can redo everything it just seems like a huge PITA, especially the motherboard drivers.

I don't know what people are using for the rest of those things these days, but if you do end up with a fresh install Steam does have a backup and restore feature so you won't have to download however many million gigglybits of games all over again.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Ninja Rope posted:

Wasn't Synergy open-source? I seem to recall contributing a patch to it years ago.

Is Foxit still a good/safe PDF reader? Apparently they're up to version 7 now and I wasn't keeping track.

I still use it at work. I don't like that they keep adding features and trying to make it look like Office 2013.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I remember 2000 being exciting and great and wondering wtf this clown paint XP stuff was :)

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Is there anywhere on the Microsoft web site that I can plug in a license key to see if its legit?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

canti32 posted:

Is there any way in winserv2k8 to prevent users from only deleting files, and not renaming or moving? I've been playing around with permissions for a few hours now in between googling and can't seem to figure it out. If not is there a third party utility to use?

Delete is its own permission so you should be able to deny it. Screenshot a sample of what you're working on.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Will OneGet hunt down dependencies or is it just an easily scripted way to install things from your own repositories?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Risket posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but...

Does anyone know of a fairly basic ERP system that is either low cost or free/open source, and isn't an unusable piece of poo poo? I work for a small manufacturer, and right now I'm using a lovely Access database that I made to keep track of what products went where, inventory, RMAs, and a few other things. One of the tables is up to 11000 entries, and the quieries take forever.

I've looked at Odoo, which used to be OpenERP, but their demo install looks like poo poo and is not intuitive at all. I'm open to web based or local install, whatever works well.

Thanks

I don't have any suggestions for ERP software, but if your needs are simple enough you may be able to take care of your performance problems by moving off Access and onto a real database. MSSQL Express is free with some sizing limitations, otherwise look into a database running on Linux.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

dis astranagant posted:

Is there some way to move a folder to a new drive while leaving the modified/created dates on the contents alone?

There's probably a better way to do this but iirc things that are zipped and then unzipped somewhere else retain their original dates.

fake edit: http://serverfault.com/questions/288631/what-switches-can-robocopy-use-to-preserve-file-and-directory-times-on-the-targe

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
What does a local crashplan backup look like? Is it the current files and some blobs of metadata strewn about, or is it entirely crashplan's own format?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Does it take well to a rotating tape drive setup? They specifically mention being able to backup and then remove the drive but everything always seems short on details with them.

Our internet at work is pretty bad, I'd hate to have to restore *everything* from the cloud if it came to it. I'd like to get a couple external drives and rotate them offsite once a week or so.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Mak0rz posted:

Seems like it does what I want, but I'm not sure what to scan here... I have four options:

I first picked "No Partition," but that just started ganking files off the current install (because it scanned the whole disk, I assume). I just want it to get things that were potentially left behind from the last install. Or is that at all possible? I'm probably being really naive about how Windows allocates its partition tables.

Even if it does find anything, am I able to delete it all? Or is zeroing the drive and starting from scratch my only option? I just finished installing all of the updates. It took hours :sigh:

Any number of drive cleaning programs like ccleaner have an option to wipe free space on the drive. Between that and the drive activity of installing a new operating system and umpteen million updates I'd feel fine.

Your other option is to start over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Piekuuns posted:

I need a basic antivirus software for small business with 6 PC's. Whats my best bet, NOD32?

I'm a huge fan of ESET, six computers at this site and three at another. Somewhere in the last few years they decided they want to sell through VARs and buying direct through them is a pain in the butt.

If you don't need the management software you might just want to stick with Microsoft's free anti virus.