Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Gorson posted:

A client of ours, around 15 users, wants to enable roaming profiles for 3 of their accounts. No problem there. The problem is that the users who want to roam are email hoarders. I have seen 48GB and 28GB .pst's for these users. Obviously roaming isn't going to work while maintaining the same Outlook functionality, and in my experience putting a .pst on a share only works if the file size is small. An Exchange server is out of the question. Any suggestions?

I suggest you don't do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Gyshall posted:

50 gigs of email is loving retarded. I can't even fathom the amount of poo poo that must be stored in that PST.

Every third email has a ten meg pdf.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Does Mavis Beacon still teach typing?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Guerrand posted:

VLC requires a plugin to allow you to click the screen to pause, a feature that even a piece of poo poo player like Youtube has. MPC-HC > VLC.

Mash the space bar

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

EugeneJ posted:

I have an old dual-core Vista laptop that I'm still happy with, but I want to be able to upgrade it to Windows 10. I know you can get boxed versions of Windows 7 on eBay for around $50 - would that be the cheapest upgrade path for me to go?

Do not buy software on eBay, it is never legit.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Read the fine print

quote:

To be in accordance with Microsoft licensing for OEM or Reinstall Software - , recovery media, OEM media and MAR media containing Microsoft software must be redistributed as part of a complete package that contains the media, the original computer with which to software was distributed and the corresponding COA label. Therefore, we sell these items bundled with the original system. You are purchasing this software which is bundled with an untested ASUS/DELL/HP laptop computer system without a power cord.

Windows on eBay is always either this sort of thing or a high quality fake with an MSDN license that will turn itself off when Microsoft catches on.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Disk Cleanup is installed, you just need to copy files out of some mile long directory path to their normal location to get it without the whole "experience".

Do you have a mountain of RAM? Cutting the page file down to something reasonable will return a lot of space at the cost of not being able to dump memory when it crashes.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Abel Wingnut posted:

i just installed a fresh copy of 7 on my new machine and updated it until i couldn't update it any more. i'm not seeing MSE anywhere. is it a separate download? sorry for the silly question, coming from os x.

Might be under optional stuff, otherwise https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Munin posted:

Quick random question. Any way to get Windows 10 to lock the computer when it shuts the screen off or after a set period?

I tried to Google it and I only saw one answer that seems to apply to people with Pro and a slew of people who want to switch the lock screen *off*...

Does the blank screen saver still exist?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

GobiasIndustries posted:

For work (small company, outsourced IT department) my department has lenovo X1 Carbon laptops, with an HDMI->VGA adapter to connect to a Dell E2414H monitor. It's working really well; however one person in my department needs two monitors. The 2nd monitor is connected to the first monitor via DVI, but no signal is getting to the 2nd monitor. Do we need a different adapter, or is this a Windows problem, or something else?

I'm not aware of any display technology besides Displayport and Thunderbolt that allows daisy chaining displays. There are USB video cards that may be suitable for your work that would allow you to run a second monitor off your laptop. I would also suggest looking into HDMI to DVI adapters instead of your current setup, you should have a noticeable improvement in video quality.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
What you want is weird and wrong. I'm sure you can turn off all formatting and do it the hard way.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Rip it and use something like daemon tools or wincdemu to make it a virtual cd drive. If its just the hordes of tiny files this should help, if the disc is beat up it won't do much.

edit: doesn't windows have something for mounting iso files built in now?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Weirdly it comes up as "create and format hard disk partitions" in search if you type disk management.

Otherwise it would be under control panel -> administrative tools -> computer management and then half way down that thing.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Das_Ubermike posted:

So I really hate iTunes. Can anyone recommend me some software to use in Windows 10 that'll allow me to put music on my iPhone without using iTunes? Not sure if this is the best thread for this question, but damned if I know where else to solicit responses.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/information/free/ I've had this recommended but I've never actually used it.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Doesn't Lenovo whitelist cards meaning you're stuck with whatever Lenovo approved as of the last firmware update?

Does it exhibit the same problems on another network?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Housh posted:

I went to visit my 94 year old uncle. He uses an iPad but misses using his Dell Inspiron 1300 which he gave me to janitor.

There was nothing wrong with it. I think the battery was dead but I replaced it and set the time in the bios and it booted XP fine. Now should I install a newer OS or keep it at XP. He wants to use a modern web browser, ms office and that's just about it.

It's a Pentium M 1.8ghz with 504mb ram lol running Windows XP Home Edition SP3. Recommendations?

Throw it out and get whatever is cheap from the Dell outlet.

You cannot leave it on XP and expect real use out of it. Firefox ESR is the only browser for XP that still gets updates and that's only for two more months. Every website under the sun needs more ram than you've got. As old cipers get disabled on servers and new ones don't get added to XP you get websites that throw very cryptic errors.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Stare-Out posted:

Windows 10 just suddenly decided to stop using my graphics card. I have an old-rear end HD4600 which has been working fine for over a month now ever since I installed Win10 but earlier today my screen suddenly went dark and when it came back, it had gone from 1080x1200 to 1024x764 and now it seems to act as though the card isn't even in the machine (which it is, and is visible in device management). I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers but that does nothing.

And now I'm reading that Win10 supposedly doesn't support the HD4600.. even though it did just fine for the past month or so? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Is it using Intel drivers, or Microsoft drivers? I have two Win10 laptops with much older Intel chips that work fine, both have the Intel thing in the systray.

OH

thebigcow fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 23, 2017

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Lork posted:

Thanks. Do you know where he needs to go to start the upgrade process?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO there's a link on that page for the media creation tool

make backups before you start etc

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

baka kaba posted:

Dang - so is that basically it? Either disable IPv6 on the computer (well the network adapter) or let the router manage all DNS queries?

Also - why's it defaulting to IPv6 anyway? Some nslookup queries return a mix of IPv6 and IPv4 addresses, but I can't ping the IPv6 ones. It's somehow defaulting to making requests with the IPv4 versions, so it seems to know not to use IPv6, -and I'm not seeing a delay when I access a new domain, as though it's trying the IPv6 addresses and falling back when they time out. Seems like it's just using IPv4 for general internet network traffic, but IPv6 for DNS? Is that a thing that happens?

DNS is not specific to IPv4 or v6, and even something ancient like Windows Server 2000 with no IPv6 address configured can return AAAA records.

Is this an ISP supplied router doing silly things?

If this is a problem for more than one device you could look into running your own DNS and disable AAAA records. I have no suggestions for doing this.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

MZ posted:

1. Time Machine - it auto-backups everything in the background to an external drive without you having to worry about it, very easy to restore to an earlier point.

See if Windows File History suits your needs.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Make sure your CPU isn't being throttled because of dead fans, heatsinks falling off, etc.

Then buy an SSD anyway.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Hughmoris posted:

Sorry, lame joke about them watching "Linux ISO" movies.

Thanks. I haven't heard back on it today but they don't currently have easily available internet access. If I have to dig in to it much further I'll probably just have them install VLC since that's what I'm more familiar with.

You could send them a VLC installer from ninite if you think they'll have trouble finding a download link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

tuyop posted:

I know this was awhile ago but if you want some more advanced features, Black Magic Da Vinci Resolve is free and has like 60% of the features of Premiere or Final Cut Pro.

I've been using kdenlive if you want yet another option.