Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm sure this is a common question, but how do I make it so that my computer can't start itself up? Sometimes when I shut the computer down it comes back up, I presume that's a windows update going or something. Last week, while I had my computer shut down because of high CPU temperatures, it also booted up by itself after being off for 2 days. I know that's something that Microsoft baked into 10, but it's loving creepy when my computer turns itself on. I ended up having to hit the switch on my PSU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

E: Probably better in the hardware questions thread.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 29, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are there reliable fixes for the missing CD/DVD driver error when installing 7? My brother is trying to install off of a USB, but he's been getting that error. I've never seen it myself, maybe it's how new the hardware is. If he tries to update the motherboard's drivers he gets an error saying it can't install the drivers and to contact the vendor.

I know I've seen that at work trying to downgrade from 10 to 7, but I don't know what they did to fix it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

This might be obvious, but my brain is fried today. I'm not seeing where on Intel's website I could get drivers to put on a USB stick and load before Windows is installed. Is that even going to work? I've never had to update drivers before the OS was installed. It probably is the USB issue. He had to use PS/2 emulation to get the keyboard to work. It's a new Z170 with about six 3.0 and two 3.1, no 2.0s.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a good program for setting balance on speakers that don't have a balance option in the standard properties menu? For some reason my keyboard doesn't have it, and my earbuds can't reach my case. The left one is significantly quieter than the right one right now.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Severing posted:

Check the actual drivers for your audio from the chip manufacturers website. Often they include software with extra functionality including balance. For example, my Realtek audio chip on my motherboard has this. Reaktek is pretty common on motherboards as well but check your manual.

It's a Logitech keyboard. They don't seem to have any sound drivers for it. I used to use headphones to my motherboard, but they broke and now I only have IEMs that won't reach the case.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I haven’t had a new motherboard since 10 came out, is there a good way to just transplant a hard drive to a new computer? It would be going from a 4th gen i3 to an 8th gen i7.

If not I could transfer everything from the SSD to my storage drive and back, but that sounds like a pain in the rear end.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It’s that simple now? With 7 it used to be a whole new installation (or was that as far back as XP now?) because the hardware differences would make it throw an error when booting.

Also, does Windows have any sort of rudimentary stress test built in? I’m asking these questions because I might be picking up a used computer and want to make sure it’s in decent condition but I don’t want to be insisting he installs FurMark or something.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

For a bit less than a week my bluetooth headphones have been disconnecting when I haven't used the computer for an hour or so. They don't turn off, it just disconnects and I have to choose for it to connect again. Did some setting change in a patch? Can I change it back?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a way to put a message on the lock screen / password entry screen without loving with the registry? I'm not completely opposed to it, I just don't mess with the registry if there's another decent option. I keep forgetting to do something every evening, so I figure if I set a message for myself I'll see it when I go to log in for the evening.

Before you say set an alarm, its timing is basically "when I'm done with everything else," which isn't consistent.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bingo, I guess having pro pays off.

I was afraid I was going to have to just set an image with the text on it, I'm glad there's something better.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have to fill out a form that's available as a PDF. Presumably mainly for printing and then manually filling in, but that would take forever. are there any good free PDF editors that aren't going to try to steal any information I put in there? There's some boxes I have to check, some boxes I have to fill in with text and numbers, pretty simple.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

On my laptop once in a while I've been getting the message "Windows will shut down in less than a minute" with no option to cancel. Looking in event viewer, the last time it did this it created this message in the event log:

The process C:\Windows\system32\shutdown.exe (DESKTOP-OLBU6FH) has initiated the restart of computer DESKTOP-OLBU6FH on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Hardware: Maintenance (Planned)
Reason Code: 0x80010001
Shutdown Type: restart

This laptop has home edition rather than professional like my desktop, so I can't make any group policy changes, any ideas on how to prevent this? It's a pain in the rear end because then I have to do my 2FA on all of my logins again. No updates happen when it restarts.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think I figured it out, actually. I felt like it had to be a scheduled thing, so I looked at task scheduler and found that the THX audio update service had a restart task running with highest privileges, and I could be wrong but I would think that's SYSTEM. Looking at the trigger, it's the THX updater that's triggering it, and the task that runs is starting shutdown.exe /r /d p:01:01. Which seems to correspond with the Hardware:Maintenance reason as far as I can tell from Microsoft's shutdown reason documentation. So I've disabled that because gently caress off forcing a restart on your updates for an audio device I don't even use because it randomly decides to make streaming video 20% of the volume it should be.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

No, I didn't change accounts. And it actually looks like Windows updates haven't gone through in a while, I should look into why that is because I've seen it say it's updating recently.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Considering ever since updating to 20H2 my computer has been freezing or BSODing twice a day you don't need third party AV for that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have bluetooth set to not be discoverable but I have just found out that Microsoft decided to make that setting not actually do anything as my neighbor repeatedly tries to connect her iphone to my PC. I use bluetooth speakers so I would prefer to not just turn it off. I was looking for answers about this and found a StackExchange answer about using BluetoothEnableIncomingConnections() in Powershell but I'm putting in what seem like the required arguments (NULL, FALSE) and it's not working. I haven't used Powershell since like 2016 though so I'm probably doing something wrong.

Is there some way for me to prevent people trying to connect to my computer? Using Windows 10 still.

Before someone says "Stop being a goon and just go over and tell them it's the wrong computer," neither she nor her husband speak English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't see that behaviour. My PC is discoverable via Bluetooth only for as long as I have the Bluetooth page on the Settings app open. As soon as I navigate to another tab the entry for my PC disappears on my iPhone's list of devices that it can see.

If it matters, my Bluetooth module is the one that comes on the Intel AX200 card.

Edit: I can't read and all the above is relevant to Windows 11. If you're getting an inbound pairing request then try turning this notification off:

The other possibility is that the Bluetooth device is trying to use Swift Pair, and you can turn that off as well.

I have that unchecked, but maybe having bluetooth open is why. I had to pair my speakers again after a power outage and I hadn't closed the window.