Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

HenryEx posted:

So this probably isn't Win7 exclusive, but i was kinda surprised to hear that the User files directories are symbolic links and that i can place my User profiles anywhere i want on the hard disk, outside the boot partition, too.
Is it possible then to use the same profiles i have on my 64 bit installation on the secondary 32 bit one without having to tweak and reconfigure them all over again? This takes up ungodly amounts of time on every Windows installation, right behind installing all my little essential tools and apps.

Symbolic links? You can move the Users directory anywhere you want, but unless you edit the registry path, Windows will just make another Users folder at that default directory the reg. directs it too, and your other folder will just be a folder that happens to be called "UsernameHere". Unless of course I'm misreading this..

Personally I'm using an SSD for my OS, so I had to swap around alot of registry locations for default folders, and installation paths, but switching out the users folder, for another folder is definitely possible. As I actually reformatted my SSD, then just changed the reg. paths, and popped in my old Users file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU